Toporol Info.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fabi

I am new and don't know much about medications after heart surgery, is toporol only used for patients with high blood pressure? My mother is on it and I asked her if she has high blood pressure and she says no. Is she just not being informed....

My husband is also on Lepressor(generic for toporil). He has a mechanical valve and the doctor said this would keep his heart from working so hard. His blood pressure is ususally 96/62. Doctor is happy with this reading.

Be sure to read the data sheet for this drug and advise your doc if you experience any of the side effects mentioned in the manufacturers material.

Toprol is a Beta Blocker. Beta Blockers have several effects and can be used for different conditions. I was on Toprol XL (time release) for several years to suppress heart arrhythmias (primarily Premature Contractions and Atrial Fibrilation) and to keep my Heart Rate from going too high. One of the side effects is to also lower blood pressure but that is not it's primary purpose.

You should have received an information sheet with each prescription. A more detailed information sheet comes with the original bottles and most pharmacists will give you a copy if you ask. Pharmacists often seem to know more about drug actions, interactions, and side effects than the Doctors.

Many drug stores carry books on prescription drugs (paperbacks are much cheaper than hardbacks!). Or, simply do an Internet Search for the Drug Name.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back