Today feels like a new day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

I feel the best today that I have felt since before surgery. I almost hate to announce it for fear I will be jinxed or something. I had had a substantially large pericardial effusion surrounding my heart. The cardiologist had put me on Colchicine(Colcrys) last Wednesday and has an echo planned for tomorrow. Maybe the drug is finally catching up. The cardiologist had previously said that if the effusion had gotten any larger, they were going to consider needle aspiration. If it is smaller or holding its own, he would continue with the drug therapy. I hope that the way I feel is a sign the effusion is smaller. Forgive my temporary elation, but I have felt miserable since my surgery on 6/5 and this seems like a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Had an echo done today. Doc said much of the pericardial effusion had resolved itself. He said in two weeks repeat echo and if things keep going the way they are, then I will be out of the woods so to speak. I felt better this morning than I do now and maybe that is something I just need to accept that things might go,back and forth until I get a ways down the road in my recovery. If I take one step backwards as long as I take two steps forward I am satisfied. Thanks to all of you for being a source of strength for me and for have gone before me and told me what to expect. How long did you continue to use your spirometer?

I feel the best today that I have felt since before surgery. I almost hate to announce it for fear I will be jinxed or something. I had had a substantially large pericardial effusion surrounding my heart. The cardiologist had put me on Colchicine(Colcrys) last Wednesday and has an echo planned for tomorrow. Maybe the drug is finally catching up. The cardiologist had previously said that if the effusion had gotten any larger, they were going to consider needle aspiration. If it is smaller or holding its own, he would continue with the drug therapy. I hope that the way I feel is a sign the effusion is smaller. Forgive my temporary elation, but I have felt miserable since my surgery on 6/5 and this seems like a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Interesting..... I thought Colcrys (colchicine) is used for gout.

Very happy to hear you are feeling better.

canon - How well I know the feeling of slow recovery. I had the same effect, for different reasons. Believe me, as long as you are making some progress, you will get there. Those "not so good" days are still better than the bad ones earlier in recovery. Keep up the good work.

Canon, hope that today is turning out to be one of those "I feel pretty good" days. Yes, two steps forward and one step back on some days still is progress. Sending you lots of positive vibes from my part of the US. Things will get better :)

Today has been rough and I have no explanation why?? If somebody on here tells me this is normal, then I will accept that. After having gone in for an echo yesterday and the cardiologist calls me and tells me the pericardial effusion is much improved and he is going to just stay the course with the medication and not stick my pericardium with a needle and aspirate it. So that was good news. This morning I go out with my wife when she walks the dogs and I walk about 40 or 50 slow paces and am weak and out of breath. I come in take it easy after she goes to work. Still hurts to expand my rib cage with deep breaths, pretty much only on the left side of my chest. I was sitting up in bed a few minutes ago and wham, I get this terrific pain between my shoulder blades on my back and most of the pain is on the right side. I almost called the wife at work and had her pick me up. I said enough of this and popped a hydro which I only reserve for bedtime. So, the saga continues. I have been through major cancer surgery in the past, had two minor surgeries last year, including a third surgery on my elbow in the doctors office without an ounce of local anesthesia, so I know I have a pretty good tolerance for pain and don't complain for no good reason.

So, the saga continues. I have been through major cancer surgery in the past, had two minor surgeries last year, including a third surgery on my elbow in the doctors office without an ounce of local anesthesia, so I know I have a pretty good tolerance for pain and don't complain for no good reason.

Hi Canon,

Sorry you are having a bad time lately. I don't think anyone thinks you are complaining for no good reason. I know you we're slightly offended by something said in the forum recently, just remember that it's easy to misinterpret things said online, or to be misinterpreted (also no single persons in an Internet forum speak for everyone). We are all in this together -- it's hard for us to watch anyone going through various challenges. I think one reason is because it could easily be any of us that falls victim to complications/related issues, and we are always hoping for the best outcomes for everyone.

We are all awaiting the day when things settle down for you, when you and the people that love and know you (even random online contacts) can breathe easier.

Keep keeping us posted. Trying to send positive vibes your way.

- Jason

Hello Canon,
My pleural effusion came on after about week 7 and lasted about a month. Surgeon said that's not the typical delayed reaction but it happens. Pain was on and off. Walking one minute and then stopping dead in my tracks seconds later. The pain just moved around my body top to bottom, bottom to top, side to side no rhyme or reason. The pain was way worse than the pain of surgery by far. I had less than 200ml of fluid so the surgeon did not want to aspirate that small an amount. He gave me a 5-6 day steroid pack. I did feel better after completing the meds, although I was worried that the pain would never go away. They did a basic echo maybe 4 weeks after plueral effusion started. Again, by then I was feeling fine and was told I can go. I was told before surgery that this was a possibility. I forgot the percentage, maybe 20%. I have felt that pain and you are NOT exaggerating.

I can vouch for the fact that pleural effusion is scary and no fun. I did have that, although I skipped pericardial effusion. I was prescribed heavy doses of ibuprofen, which fortunately controlled both the inflammation as well as the pain. I hope your effustion settles down sooner rather than later.

Hi Canon,

Just sending you positive healing thoughts your way!!!! So sorry that you're going through a rough patch, no fun! I think you're handling things much better than I would if I had to go through all you've been through, (I would have pulled my husband out of work)

Really hope things start to get better for you on a more consistent basis!!!!

Hi Canon,
Well as I said, 2 steps forward 1 step back. I'm sorry to hear that you hit a rough spot. I was lucky and had relatively no pain once my surgery was over and recovered pretty well. That is not to say that there weren't days when I asked myself "WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO THIS SURGERY FOR?" at which time I reminded myself that without the surgery I would have likely died fairly soon. So again I send you positive vibes and remind you that what you are feeling is real and we can only sympathize with you. Here is a HUGE HUG ((((( ))))). Be well soon:biggrin2:

Last night for the first night since surgery on 6/5, I did no require an oxy pain pill. I woke up several times which was typical, drenched from night sweats which have occurred since surgery, but all in all slept from about 10 pm to 4 am. I don't feel quite the chest pain I have been feeling from the pericardial effusion which leads me to believe somewhat that the fluid around my heart is being absorbed up by my body. When I take a deep breath now I get a funny pain? Over my heart off center from my sternum. It is a wierd pain/tickle wrapped into one. I will just have to wait and see what this morphs into. I am grateful for feeling better than yesterday and I welcome tomorrow if it means I will feel even better yet. I walked the dog about 150 feet so he could relieve himself and I did not feel out of breath and light-headed like I did yesterday. Maybe I have needed more sleep and possibly that has been a factor. I believe if I hadn't had the problem with the effusion from the start, I could be jogging by now (which I wouldn't be foolish enough to do). I am nauseated and have diarrhea from the medication Colcrys for my effusion, but I can live with that for awhile if it means clearing up the liquid around my heart. I have probably dropped 15 pounds which must be typical. Nothing sounds good to me except baked beans, corn and lightly toasted bread. Pizza and everything thing else doesn't appeal to me. I've always eaten organic, healthy food before my surgery, but I am just interested in getting calories in me now. I even stooped to eat a Big Mac yesterday! Thanks for your encouragement! It as made a difference for sure especially those that have experienced an effusion in the past.

Living each day, one at a time......

Jon

Hi Canon,

How are you doing today/this weekend?

- Jason

I have been off all pain meds for about four days now. Still have considerable sternum pain which is normal. Residual pain on deep breath which is a concern because that was a sign of the pericardial effusion to begin with. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat almost. Have daily and lightly sweats that are becoming tiresome but can't do anything about them. Does anybody know what causes them?

Wake up several times per night still which I believe will self-correct in time. I need to start walking more and that will speed up the recovery process. I am getting better, one day at a time. I think I am just about three weeks behind other patients because of my setbacks and compare myself to premie newborn that catches up after a few months. I go in for another echo on 7/9 to see if the fluid around my heart has resolved itself. I have a weird pain just off the side of my sternum that has a tickle component to it also. Makes me think it could be the stainless steel wire my sternum is wrapped in that could be irritating a nerve ending and will eventually resolve itself after deep healing in my chest takes place over time.

I am grateful for the concern and support given by members on this forum. It has provided an invaluable asset to my pre-surgery and post-surgery. I consider you all as family. I look forward in time to all the progress and advances being made in valve replacement and can only be optimistic in what lies ahead. I will continue to be an active poster on this site and can only hope my experience can benefit or help others that have yet to experience OHS.

Jon

Latest posts

Back