Quantcast

Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
VR.org Supporter
15 years for my first one, a piggie valve. Was still going strong on it but surgeon replaced it in Sept 2019 because he was in there fixing an aortic aneurysm and thought he might as well do a valve job too. So now have an Edwards bovine, which is working fine. Where once I oinked, now I moooooo.

esvaja

11 years and 2 months for me. Valve is now severely stenotic and mod-severe regurgitation, and I will be having another replacement within the next couple of months. I will be 55 years old.
Tezza I'm with you. My Edwards Bovine is severely stenotic & is nearly 10 years old. They say it's from calcium buildup. Dies anybody know what causes calcium buildup, I believe they are working on a calcium resistant vale. Has anybody heard of one in production

tom in MO

Tezza I'm with you. My Edwards Bovine is severely stenotic & is nearly 10 years old. They say it's from calcium buildup. Dies anybody know what causes calcium buildup, I believe they are working on a calcium resistant vale. Has anybody heard of one in production
There are guesses as to what causes tissue valve failures but nobody knows for sure other than it's your body chemistry.

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
They say it's from calcium buildup. Dies anybody know what causes calcium buildup,
When my mechanical aortic valve was inserted, my natural valve had been severely stenotic due to calcium. I have been on one statin or another for cholesterol management for almost 30 years, and have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 24 years, and my surgeon said that the combination of statins and insulin were now thought to cause calcification.

The male side of my family has a long history of heart disease, with my father dying at age 54 in 1990, and in the 1980s he lost two brothers, aged 34 and 40, all from heart attacks. And yet my brother, who takes after my mother's side of the family more, has no cholesterol or diabetes issues. Genetics, huh.

CarolM

After my 2nd AVR, I also wondered why my valve calcified so quickly. There is some research indicating that very high lipoprotein (a) is linked to calcification. Who knows??

Latest posts