Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On May 2, 2005, my bicuspid aortic valve was replaced by a wonderful, brilliant surgeon with an Edwards Perimount Magna (bovine pericardial), along with a graft of my ascending aorta. If you do the math, I've had the valve for (almost) 16 years. It has served me well through multiple (non heart-related) medical issues and procedures, and it's still going strong, with very little calcification. I know (from VR posts and from others) that tissue valves have been trouble for some, but I have had none. My age is 76. Questions?
How's your squash game? I'm 62 and will have my aortic valve replaced along with a section of the ascending aorta in April. Looking most to getting back to squash, but will likley tend more towards doubles. Still struggling with bioprosthetic vs mechanical, though leaning towards mechanical so that I am one-and-done. Your experience, basically no problems after 16 yrs, is great but seems not typical. Anything you attribute it to (and you can't say a shot of scotch every afternoon)?

Question about vaccine and Mitral valve , My wife had a Mitral replaced in 2018 and had her first shot and getting the second the 24 of next week, has anyone had any reaction that I should be worried about? She's 76 and not in the best of health but we been together 50 years and hope to have more. Good or bad answers , I just have bad fillings after reading about this 39 year old healthy woman in Utah who passed away 4 days after her second shot. The way I read is that her functions shut down. Thanks for any answers.
My mom had her mitral valve replaced with a tissue valve in 2005. She is 80 now still going strong. We both had the J and J vaccine on March 9th. I had tiredness and a sore arm for a few days. My mom had nothing! Hope this helps!

My mom had her mitral valve replaced with a tissue valve in 2005. She is 80 now still going strong. We both had the J and J vaccine on March 9th. I had tiredness and a sore arm for a few days. My mom had nothing! Hope this helps!
What kind of tissue valve did your mom get?

I had my Mitral valve replaced 2018 and about two weeks after my 2nd Pfizer covid shot my afib got a little worse. I am now back on warfarin but not sure if I should consider ablation procedure. I can live with the afib as long as it does not affect my sleep. Stepped up my exercising and it seems to be helping a lot.

Last edited:
How's your squash game? I'm 62 and will have my aortic valve replaced along with a section of the ascending aorta in April. Looking most to getting back to squash, but will likley tend more towards doubles. Still struggling with bioprosthetic vs mechanical, though leaning towards mechanical so that I am one-and-done. Your experience, basically no problems after 16 yrs, is great but seems not typical. Anything you attribute it to (and you can't say a shot of scotch every afternoon)?
My squash game is on hold for a time, not related to my 2002 heart surgery, but because of a recent hip replacement. I am now taking serious walks to help bring my hip back into shape and looking forward to getting back to the squash courts. As for what I can point to as contributing to the success of my bioporsthetic aortic valve, I could point to two factors (other than a daily shot of scotch!): the valve itself (Edwards Magna Perimount) and my extraordinary surgeon (John Elefteriades). Also, by way of background, I had other medical issues happening at the time of my heart surgery, which was a factor in my choice of a tissue valve. As I said in an earlier post, I was 58 at the time of the surgery, and I am 76 now. Let me know if you have other questions.

I'm 67 and had my Mitral valve replaced 2 years ago. Currently living with afib and taking Xarelto and not sure if I should get ablation procedure.

Not posted for a while yet really value this special club and the work of the hosts.
Had my Edwards Bovine in 2009, 12 years in May, i am now 74. My meds are Valsartan, Pravastatin, Clopidogrel, i have had 12 fantastic normal years forgetting i have had AVR most of the time. The last echo was normal so hoping for many more years with this valve.

Not posted for a while yet really value this special club and the work of the hosts.
Had my Edwards Bovine in 2009, 12 years in May, i am now 74. My meds are Valsartan, Pravastatin, Clopidogrel, i have had 12 fantastic normal years forgetting i have had AVR most of the time. The last echo was normal so hoping for many more years with this valve.

My squash game is on hold for a time, not related to my 2002 heart surgery, but because of a recent hip replacement. I am now taking serious walks to help bring my hip back into shape and looking forward to getting back to the squash courts. As for what I can point to as contributing to the success of my bioporsthetic aortic valve, I could point to two factors (other than a daily shot of scotch!): the valve itself (Edwards Magna Perimount) and my extraordinary surgeon (John Elefteriades). Also, by way of background, I had other medical issues happening at the time of my heart surgery, which was a factor in my choice of a tissue valve. As I said in an earlier post, I was 58 at the time of the surgery, and I am 76 now. Let me know if you have other questions.
This is so great! My mom got a Medtronic porcine mitral valve in 2005 at age 65. She is 80 valve still good. SO happy for you!

nearly 14 yrs for my porky pig, still going along well no problems apart from a small leak which my cardio said is nothing to worry about, only trouble is my mitral is leaking so keeping an eye on that one,
Hi Neil

Just checking in to see how a fellow UK member is currently doing?

Hope all is still ok with you and the valve!

Best
Mike

Latest posts

Back