Tissue Valve vs. Mechanical Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is good news, and that he was doin well on such a restricted aortic flow means to me that he'll likely respond staggeringly well to post surgery recovery!

All the best for the new life new year!

I am just a couple of days from surgery right now so I am probably not qualified to answer but it seems as though your dad has been through so much and maybe he just needs more time. I would call the doc if you havent and ask to have him checked out to just make sure its just going to take a while longer for him to feel back to normal and not a failure of some kind with his valve. I kept reading back to see when his surgery date was and it really hasnt been that long compared to what I have been reading of other peoples experiences. I would ask if him feeling like this is something "new" or is it getting worse or has he felt this way since the beginning of his recovery? You sound like a wonderful daughter and they are so lucky to have you looking out for them. Good luck and let us know.

Dana,

Your father should discuss his symptoms with his cardiologist. It can take awhile for the heart to heal and adapt to the new "normal". Before surgery, your father's heart was working very hard as it compensated for the severely restricted valve. This probably caused the heart to enlarge and may have caused some damage to the muscle and/or electrical system. Over time, the heart can return to a more normal size and pumping function but sometimes there are permanent changes. It's too soon to draw any conclusions about how your father will feel 6 months or a year from now. Complete recovery often takes longer than three months. Symptoms can be caused by many things including reduced pumping function, medications, weight gain, etc. The cardiologist is the person with the knowledge and expertise to properly to understand and explain your father's symptoms.

Dana, although your dad is 3 months out from replacement, his weight gain might also be due to fluid retention. His idea of keeping track of his weight is a good one.
Fluid build up can cause shortness of breath, but it can be controlled easily if it turns out to be a problem.

Dana,

Thanks so much for checking back and giving us the update. Your dad is sure lucky to have you around to do this for him (I take it he isn't the one to spend his free time at the computer). I only let my daughter post for me for the first few days after surgery. Then I took it over again. . .

As the others have said, it is possible for dad to be retaining fluids - even now, months after surgery. I had some fluid retention for a couple of months after surgery, and took some heavy-duty diuretics to get rid of the fluids. As time went on, it became less and less of an issue. It can be bad, though, if it gets to be too much before dad sees the doc. He should do that, pronto.

Also, as I've learned, some of the other meds they give us can have side effects. Beta blockers are my nemesis. After surgery they had me on a heavy dose, due to trouble regulating my heart rate. Over the (almost) 2 years since surgery, we have cut the dosage in half twice - started at 100 mg/day, now 25 mg/day. I feel MUCH better. Part of that is the continuation of the healing process and part is the impact of less meds.

As for your dad's "digestive" issues due to the pain meds, I had it to the max. Mine was so bad that 4 weeks after surgery I was re-admitted to the hospital to get help in dealing with it. It took some industrial-strength meds to get things under control and I think I still have some related issues. I would advise dad to have a good talk with his cardio about this, too, if he has any lingering issues.

Do stay in touch. We like to keep track of the "family."

Latest posts

Back