Time reduced on valve implantation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The company continues to conduct controlled clinical studies of the 3F Aortic Bioprosthesis in the following centers:

North America

Boston University Medical Center; Boston, MA
Cleveland Clinic Foundation; Cleveland, OH
Cardiothoracic Surgery Associates of North Texas, Dallas, TX
Instituto Nacional de Cardiología Ignacio Chávez, Mexico City, Mexico
International Heart Institute of Palm Springs; Palm Springs, CA
Lennox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
Medical University of South Carolina, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery; Charleston, SC
University of Washington, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Seattle, WA

Europe

CHU Rennes-Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Deutsches Herzzentrum; Berlin, Germany
Helsinki University Central Hospital; Helsinki, Finland
Hospital Marques de Valdecilla; Santander, Spain
Hospital Universitaire de Berne; Berne, Switzerland
Jagiellonian University; Krakow, Poland
John Radcliffe Hospital; Oxford, United Kingdom
J.W. Goethe University; Frankfurt, Germany
Klink fur Thoraz Herz und Gefasschirurgie, Hannover, Germany
O.L.V. Clinic; Aalst, Belgium
Universitätsklinikum Charité der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin; Berlin, Germany

Got to see the video!

Got to see the video!

Click the link at the bottom of the article, click on United States, click
on products and finally click on media. They claim similar the human aortic valve flow and can be done MIS. We will have to wait as to how long it last.

I like it. It raises the bar for valve requiremnents, and pushes the researchers and manufacturers into being more creative.

Hope it turns out to be more than just another color of the same thing. Maddeningly, only time will tell...

Ok, I'm not getting it.

How is the procedure done? Did I miss something during the reading? If it's not sutured, then what are they doing?

A few articles on percutaneous valve replacement

A few articles on percutaneous valve replacement

There has been a lot of research on percutaneous heart valve replacement -- if you look at the valve the company is talking about, it is mounted on a metallic stent:

ti7.jpg

This is not really new technology and papers exist on successful implantation of pulmonary valves via catheter, with aortic valves so far there have been issues:

Journal of the American College of Cardiology Volume 43 said:
Recent advances in stent and valve technologies have demonstrated that percutaneous valve replacement is feasible in both animals and humans. The integration of a bioprosthetic valve and a stent was first demonstrated by Andersen et al. in 1992 [6] in which a porcine bioprosthesis attached to a wire-based stent was delivered at various aortic sites with satisfactory acute hemodynamic results. Since then, several other investigators have reported the implantation by catheter delivery techniques of prosthetic valves of various designs in animal models [7, 8, 9, 10 and 11]. The first clinical cases of percutaneous valve replacement in congenital heart disease were reported by Bonhoeffer et al. [12 and 13], who successfully implanted prosthetic heart valves made from bovine jugular vein and mounted onto a platinum-iridium stent and placed in stenotic right ventricle to pulmonary conduits with good immediate and long-term results.

Further on in the same article:

Journal of the American College of Cardiology Volume 43 said:
Paravalvular aortic regurgitation was noted in all patients post-PHV implantation. Echocardiography indicated that there might be imperfect apposition of the PHV stent frame against the diseased native valvular structures at the site of calcific nodules. This was confirmed on postmortem observation in Patient 3 (Fig. 3). Although paravalvular aortic regurgitation did not blunt the early improvement in left ventricular function and clinical status after relief of the aortic valve blockage, severe paravalvular aortic regurgitation might impair long-term clinical outcomes after PHV implantation. Larger maximal stent diameters and other improvements in stent design might decrease the incidence and severity of paravalvular aortic regurgitation in the future.

Perhaps they have solved the problem of dealing in the long-term with the high pressure situation in the Left Ventricle -- but my own hunch is they will probably come up with biological growth alternatives to fixing the valve before they improve the stent technique to give a long lasting aortic valve replacement.

There are two companies competing in providing a marketable percutaneous Aortic Valve: 3F and Edwards Lifesciences ( Both based on work by Percutaneous Valve Technologies, Inc. now a part of Edwards )

http://www.3ftherapeutics.com/int/news4.html

http://www.edwards.com/medicalprofe...x?ItemId=fccd4d46-73c4-4bd1-be4d-50e022f5f361

Thanks, Burair.

The way I read the original post, I thought we had a new delivery system. I guess it's not really new news, huh?
Mary

Percutaneous Valve Replacement

Percutaneous Valve Replacement

And if the new stented valve dosen't work out, it looks like it would double great as a chinese finger torture toy!! Just kidding guys :D

Thanks RCB for the info, the entire web site was very interesting.

Lisa

Latest posts

Back