Time Line for Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmoriarty

Could anyone give me a generalized time line for a Ross Procedure?

How long does it take before family can come give hugs and well wishes before surgery?

About how long after the procedure will family be allowed to see me in ICU?

I know this is very different with every patient. But I am asking about your specific time. I have small children and Im having people trade off, so I was just needing a generalized time.

thanks

My wife and mother could see me up until the point they took me into the O.R. My surgery lasted about 5 hours...Once out, they were allowed to see me for 10 min. when i was rolled into recovery. After that, visiting times were 5:30 a.m. for 20 mins. , 10:30 a.m. for 30 mins. , 5:30 p.m. for 30 mins. and 8:30 p.m. for 30 mins. They were very strict with visiting times... Once i got into my own room, which was 2 days later, my wife moved into my room with me. They encouraged her to stay in the room with me.

We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am. My husband was with me until maybe 6:15 or so, after that, I was on my own. They actually didn't take me into the OR until around 7. I didn't have a Ross so I can't tell you how long the actual surgery will take. Once I was out and settled into ICU (I think this was around 5), my husband was allowed to stay by my side from then on. There were no visiting hours in ICU. You probably would do well to call the hospital and ask them their policies. As you can see, they can vary greatly.

Kim

My hospital allowed family in right after surgery. (you won't know they are there), then visits are allowed through whatever times the ICU has posted. 8:30 is usually the last time at night.

Huntsville hospital discouraged anyone staying with the patient the clock around. It was posted, but they did allow it. Depending on the person I guess....I didn't want anyone staying with me. I also didn't want any visitors. I know my family wanted to come and some did..but I asked them not too. Now, that I have time to reflect back it was really several days before I wasn't in a fog....don't really know that I am completely out of it yet!

Mileena

This is one thing that really depends on the hospital and their rules I'm not sure what you mean by "How long does it take before family can come give hugs and well wishes before surgery?' But we were always right with Justin until he went in the OR door, also in many hospitals their CCU or CICU rules might be different visiting hours than when you go to the floor, but we were always allowed to see Justin as soon as he got all situated in CICU and were allowed to stay 24/7 both in CICU and the heart floor.
Have you checked the website at the hospital you will be using? they usually have the visiting rules for at least ICU and regular floors on their site.
I DO think if at all possible someone should be with you as much as possible.

My second surgery was almost 8 hours and my DH and another relative were allowed in to see me as soon as I was transferred to CICU. Of course, I wasn't aware at first they were there but I remember from both my first and second surgeries seeing them at some point.

I don't advise young children be brought in to see you immediately post op. It is not necessary for them to see Mom with all the tubes and lines and machines. Wait until you are in better shape to see the children. You barely (if at all) will remember their being there but they may not forget what they saw for a very long time. JMHO.....

You are going to be totally exhausted. You will not have the strength for all sorts of company and a good CICU nurse will limit time spent and how many are with you. Both my surgeries, I asked my DH to keep almost all visitors away. I wanted him and just a few others to come but they were the ones who had the good sense to not stay long and expect me to be all chatty and full of conversation. (I have had two serious abdominal surgeries in the past and OHS makes them look like a splinter removal.) I had great, uneventful recoveries both times so I was in the 'best of shape' for someone just having had OHS. For a patient who has complications or 'bumps', it's even more so.

Best Wishes you have a successful surgery and bump free recovery.

I wish you the absolute best and I know everything will be fine. I will be thinking of you on Nov. 13th.

Love,

Julie (Kyle's mom)

I know all about our ICU hours at my hospital. I have had way too many people in there. Ours is every even hour (12,2,4,6,8,10) around the clock. The visiting is limited to 20 mins. I just didnt know if they would let my family in to see me for like five mins to see I was okay.

This is one thing that really depends on the hospital and their rules I'm not sure what you mean by "How long does it take before family can come give hugs and well wishes before surgery?' But we were always right with Justin until he went in the OR door, also in many hospitals their CCU or CICU rules might be different visiting hours than when you go to the floor, but we were always allowed to see Justin as soon as he got all situated in CICU and were allowed to stay 24/7 both in CICU and the heart floor.
Have you checked the website at the hospital you will be using? they usually have the visiting rules for at least ICU and regular floors on their site.
I DO think if at all possible someone should be with you as much as possible.

When I had my daughter they thought they would have to do the valve replacement at that time. So I had all the stuff hooked up while awake. Swan guaz thing in my neck, atrial line in my arm, epidural in my back, ekgs, etc....but my husband was allowed to come back for about five minutes after that to give me kisses and we had prayer with a chaplain.

My second surgery was almost 8 hours and my DH and another relative waere allowed in to see me as soon as I was transferred to CICU. Of course, I wasn't aware at first they were there but I remember from both my first and second surgeries seeing them at some point.

I don't advise young children be brought in to see you immediately post op. It is not necessary for them to see Mom with all the tubes and lines and machines. Wait until you are in better shape to see the children. You barely (if at all) will remember their being there but they may not forget what they saw for a very long time. JMHO.....

You are going to be totally exhausted. You will not have the strength for all sorts of company and a good CICU nurse will limit time spent and how many are with you. Both my surgeries, I asked my DH to keep almost all visitors away. I wanted him and just a few others to come but they were the ones who had the good sense to not stay long and expect me to be all chatty and full of conversation. (I have had two serious abdominal surgeries in the past and OHS makes them look like a splinter removal.) I had great, uneventful recoveries both times so I was in the 'best of shape' for someone just having had OHS. For a patient who has complications or 'bumps', it's even more so.

My children are not going to be seeing me in the hospital probally until the day that I am released. We are just doing a babysitting schedulle.

Valerie,
My hubby was with me until they rolled me into the OR. I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am and was wheeled into the OR at 6:30 am. I was awake and aware of what was going on for another 45 mins or so. I met all of the surgical team (3 nurses named Diane!) and harrassed the anesthesiologist because he had trouble getting the atrial line in. I asked him what school he went to and told him I was going to call them and ask them to revoke his license.

My surgery started at 7:45 am and I was in the ICU at 6:00 pm. It took a lot longer than predicted.

The nurses had me settled in the ICU by 6:30 pm and my hubby was immediately allowed in. His face was the first face I saw when I woke up. The first words I heard was "you got 4 inches" - he was referring to the length of my incision.

The nurses allowed my children (all adults), my mother, and my in-laws to come in 2 or 3 at a time for 5 minutes. One set of visitors per hour. I remember seeing them and the looks on their faces. We had prepared them by telling them about the tubes, pumps, etc. but reality hits hard.

I remember the breathing tube and also the advice I received here about breathing with the machine and not fighting it. I dozed back off and when I woke up the tube was gone!

By noon, the day after my surgery, I asked for no visitors except my husband and one short visit per day for my kids. I was exhausted and just wanted to rest.

I wasn't one of the lucky ones who escaped the hospital in 5 or 6 days. I was in ICU for 2 weeks and spent another 10 days in the high observation unit. It wasn't until the last few days that I was really up to seeing anyone.

It helped that my daughter served as the information/contact point. She provided updates to extended family and friends. This saved my hubby (who was my rock, although the strain on him was tremendous) from reliving each day with each call.

I think it is a great idea to protect your young children from the sight of mom being in ICU.

I know your surgery is coming soon - take these last few days and do something fun with your family.

I will be thinking of and praying for you.

A Ross procedure is a long surgery. I think mine was like 8 hours. I'm not really sure. Dr. Stelzer said he doesn't do any other surgeries on days that he does a Ross. But then it was awhile before my wife could come into the ICU to see me. She did come in before I was awake, though, and took a picture of me. I guess it was sometime in the evening when I woke up, and I was moved to a regular room the next morning. I didn't stay long in ICU.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am a very well structured person. So I have a little OCD and have to make sure that everything and every aspect is covered as far as my home and kids.

Thanks for hearing me through all of these rants the last few weeks. I got less than a week till Im over the mountain.

Ross, hmm 8 hours. Recovery room for 2 or so depending on how well you come out of anesthesia and if there were any complications. Fam should be able to see you right up to OR suite door.

Latest posts

Back