Time for Post-Xmas INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone!
I had my INR done today and it was 1.9. Mine has been out of whack since my flu shot. I used to be on 7mg a day and was fine with that (between 2.0 and 3.0). I told my doc that the flu shot may make my inr rise briefly. He didn't believe me. When he took it 5 days after my flu shot, it was 4.8. He has since been lowering and now raising my coumadin. I am almost back to my 7mg every day. He has me 7mg for three days then 6mg and so on. I think he may be starting to see that the flu shot is the culprit of the high inr. Since then it has been too low because of all the mg changes. We will see where I am in 10 days.
I hope everyone had a nice Holiday!

Take Care!
Gail

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not checking until Monday. Just in time to throw it again over New Years. I am a once a week home tester. Do expect to be a bit off. My family recipe for Broccoli Casserole cannot be missed. Though to air on the side of caution, I did not take huge helpings.:D. Under these circumstances I up my dose 1mg for the week. That usually offsets indulgence.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Hi,

Hmmmm... well I checked mine the Friday before Christmas, and it was 3.1

Checked it today, 2 days after Christmas and it is 4.5 WOW!

Skipping my pill tonight, and cutting to 1/2 doses the next 2 nights.

I'll check before New Years because we have a very special dinner planned, and I WANNA EAT WHAT I WANT ON New Years!!

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Rob

New Year's Day meal

New Year's Day meal

In the South is always Collard greens and black-eyed peas. or you will have bad luck all year. Yeah, I eat that and my bottom will drop out (INR:D )bottom:D bonnie

Al decided he wanted to check his INR on Christmas because it was exactly a week since he last checked. It was 5.1. Since his dental work last month, his INR has not been steady at all. He had a 5.4 two weeks ago. He held for one day and resumed his usual dose. He was 3.2 the week before Christmas. He has no bleeding problems and has had very high INR scores in past. He held for one day and reduced his dose by 0.5 per day this time. He tests again tomorrow. I'm beginning to believe Gina's theory about the weather. It turned cold (well, cold for Arizona) and the INR is a jumping.

Day after Christmas was at 2.7. Had been up to about 3.5 and they wanted me to cut my dose. I asked to follow Bonnie's advice, just eat another salad or brocholli and see what happens.

Bonnie, why do you recommend V-8, tomatos are not supposed to change INR are they?

By the way, meant to tell you the very best bloody marys are made with Clamato juice, celery salt and a teaspoon of dill pickle juice(vodka is optional). Now I have shared one of my greatest secrets. NO KIDDING. I have yet to take any alcohol since my surgery, I hear it messes with the INR>

Happy New Year to All.

Don't care much for the black eyed peas but love the collard greens and grits, especially cheese grits. The south should have won the war based on good food alone.

B

Hi Bonnie & All,

I tested today and showed 2.3. I contribute it to being over-active...busy, busy, busy week and too many changes in diet! I'll take a wee extra dosage to get it back up and slow down a bit....whew...now I can!

Home testing sure is the way to go for me!!!! Gee Ross..guess I should've indulged in that Smirnoff veg juice to keep my INR up..heehee! Must try that for New Years..jus' kiddin'...

Happy New Year everyone!

Zipper *~*

I tested Friday and got 3.4. Ate a bit of spinach pasta that night, and a VERY small portion of broccli today. Should do the trick. My family traditional foods don't include a lot of greens. Actually, it's all basicly shades of tan.... Turkey, dressing (plain toast, lightly seasoned and moistened with drippings, and stuffed into the bird...YUM!), mashed potatoes, etc.... I think the closest thing we had to a vegetable was a sweet potatoe ;) I'm so glad my Card trusts me. I usually tell HER what I will do to get back in range, rather than her telling me. :D

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from the cardios office and my INR was at 1.8. Last Monday it was at 1.7 and the week before 2.0. Last week the nurse upped my dose to 10mg and 7.5 mg every other day. The INR didn't raise up very much now did it? I didn't eat anything I shouldn't. I had Lasagna on Christmas, home made tamales(that I made) so I know what is in them and also my own homemade black bean dip. I had a few beers and thats it. I've made my green sauce which is tomatilloes, serrano peppers, garlic and onion and water. I've had turkey. Not much else. Didn't do any of the salads or artichoke dip etc. Any one have any ideas why I've stayed so low for the last few weeks? I've been upped to 10mg everyday until this coming Friday when I will get tested again. I'm worried about my valves clogging! I told the nurse I want an Echo done this Friday. I haven't been doing a lot of running around in the past week, except driving to visit the relatives. Have had plenty of sleep to boot! My cardio won't be in until Thursday and I'm sure I'm okay until then, but of course I'm concerned with the thickened blood in spite of taking higher doses of Coumadin. I feel fine otherwise. Any input would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Lorraine,

Sorry to hear about your low INR. It's seems to have been dragging for a while. :( #1 ask for a liver function test. Sounds like you are metabolizing the Coumadin quicker than you ingest it. #2 just to stand on the side of caution...ask for a blood order 'prescription' and take it to another lab. Hospital, etc. Most hospitals do this through outpatient.

That's about all I can offer other than maybe it's something in the beer? Try refraining until your next few tests and see what happens. I know, not easy. Especially on New Years. You may have to switch over and join Perry and I in our Merlot.

I tested at 3.0 today. Have been eating a lot of greens. I upped my dose 2mg last week while doing so and it seems to have worked for me this time.

Mine was 2.7 b4 Christmas. I will not have it checked until the 9th, whew!
I'm finding that brocolli and salads, and 2 power walks in a day keep me in check.
Btw, it's Absolut. Swedes make the best vodka, (actually, Polish potato vodka is pretty darn good too!)

WOOOOOHOOOO.....

WOOOOOHOOOO.....

My PT inr was 3.0 it's the first time it's been at therapeutic range since I got out of the hospital.

So I will be alternating, 10 mg & 7.5mg every other day!

I just found out 6:00pm est

Next blood test January 3rd

Terry40

Remember that routine is the key to warfarin management.

By definition Christmas is not routine.

Thank God that he just had one son.

I was tested a week ago and I am stable at 3.5. My doctor said as long as I am tolerating it well he will keep me at this level.

I am still doing an hour and a half of excercises at the gym or I walk for three miles a day, when it is warm outside. We are having a very mild winter in Nebraska, 57 degrees yesterday.

Like Bill stated, no alcohol for me since my operation. I use to drink a lot of wine, but no more. Interesting thing is I really do not miss it.

Hope you all have a happy new year.

Walter

Thank goodness

Thank goodness

I didn't indulge too much;) this holiday. I was tested before Christmas and it was 3.9. I was just tested yesterday and it was 3.4. So I guess I did something right! We had Mimosa's, wine and all those fancy dips. Fortunately I'm lactose intolerant so didn't over dose on anything creamy.
Hope everyone has a great New Year!

I rang in at 1.9,
the Nurse ask me if I had missed a dose or changed my diet.

Nope it's just christmas, no work for 10 days, whacking back the cookies, visting all the who's in whoville, and all that food.

They upped my dose, and made me get thh 2.5 mg wafarin pills, it was to hard for them to do the math with the 7.5mg pills, with breaking them in half.

Retest in a week.

Sam

Latest posts

Back