Thyroid medications -

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina L

I know there have been a few threads recently regarding the thyroid, the most recent one on hypothyroidism and symptoms of it, of which I have most, if not all, and then some!

Anyway, I saw an endocrinologist today regarding my hypothyroidism. I was seeing an ENT who first diagnosed my hypo spring of last year and put me on Armour Thyroid which I thought was supposed to be the way to go as it is "natural" and has all the T's.

I really have not felt much differently since taking the Armour Thyroid - still very tired and not losing weight, etc. In fact my TSH registered at 19.5 last blood draw :eek: - up from around 5 (the ENT thought it was a lab error). The doc today did not think it was error - she said I may not be metabolizing the Armour Thyroid. She put me on Synthroid for the T4 part of the equation and Cytomel at a very low dose for the T3 - the heart is very sensitive to T3 and since being on Armour, I have noticed my heart pounding - not a fast rate, though.

I am so confused about all of it and just want to feel better. I would like to know who on the board is hypothyroid and what medication you take - does it work? What dosage are you on? How long until you felt better? Do you feel better??? I'd appreciate all answers and opinions - just to get an idea of what I am dealing with.

Thanks everyone!

Christina L

Hi Christina, As much as this forum has helped me with valve issues, Mary Shoman's site has helped me with my hypothyroidism. Here is one article on the various thyroid drugs: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/thyroiddrugs/l/bldrugsindex.htm

If you look at the column on the left of the page there is a heading "message boards" to click on. It is a very active forum.

Personally my first TSH was 45 and it took some time to bring it down gradually. I take 125 mcg of Unithroid Mon-Fri and 150 mcg Sat & Sun. (That is strictly a T4 drug, no T3 in it.) This has kept my TSH around 1. The electrophysiologist who installed my pacemaker said mine should not go below 1 because of my heart issues. But that does nothing to show you how your dosage should be because I'm sure you are aware that our bodies handle medications differently and our needs are different.

Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested to see if yours is from Hashimoto's disease?

Best wishes in your search for wellness!!!!

Barb - the BIG

Barb - the BIG

question - do you feel good?? Are you tired? Do you have brain fog? Has the Unithyroid helped you?

I have been on a site called Stop The Thyroid Madness and the gal who started the site swears up and down that Armour Thyroid is the ONLY way to go and the site is full of horror stories on synthetic thyroid (T4 only) and when people go on Armour, it "saves their lives." I cannot find anything on the web to state otherwise.

I have been on Mary Shoman's site, but there again, it seems everyone pushes Armour Thyroid. The endo I saw today does prescribe Armour to some, but she thinks I am being overloaded with the T3 by being on the Armour.

I guess all I can do is to try the Synthroid and Cytomel and see what happens.

Thanks so much for your help! I hope your thyroid replacement is working well for you, but let me know!

Christina L

I take 50MCG or .o5mg tablet of Levothyroxine once a day. I really can't tell you if they have helped yet. I also noted that this drug causes swelling of the feet,ankles , and legs. I have had severe swelling in my ankle and foot several times and thought it was do to standing to long, who knows? I am going to call my pcp about this to see if he wants me to stop.

Randy -

Randy -

what I am afraid of - the side effects you are having with the synthetic thyroid. :(

I hope you will get some answers from your doctor. What was your TSH Randy? What were your symptoms of the hypothyroidism?

Mary - I had antibodies tested and I think they were negative. Also, my thyroid is not enlarged at all, which is a good sign that I don't have Hashimoto's.

This is such a hard disease to get any answers to. Mary - I saw your post on Randy's thread - you are right on about a lot of things - the TSH means nothing and most doctors test that way. I also get so disillusioned at how many just push pills - even the doc today who came highly recommended as being holistic. She didn't talk to me about staying away from soy, not eating sugar, eating more protein (all important for hypothyroidism) nothing to that effect. That always bums me out. It was just - we'll try these meds and test your blood regularly.

Christina L

Just sent you a private message, Christina......

Just sent you a private message, Christina......

before I read your reply to me on this thread.

No one can say there is ONLY ONE WAY THAT WORKS!!!!!!! We all know that a medicine that works for one is another person's poison.:(

And many times one doctor that an individual thinks is GREAT just doesn't cut it for the next patient!!!

Sorry, I don't have any real answers for you.

Barb -

Barb -

And it IS Barb!! I had turned off the computer and was sitting there in my typical brain fog - wondering if I put your name as "Mary" on the post and of course I did! I had Mary Shoman on the brain as I had been reading her site. See what hypothyroidism does to you - I find myself double and triple checking what I do at my job and I have to make notes to remind myself for everything!! It is really bad. It is scary to tell you the truth.

Anyway...I'm going to read the PM you sent. Thanks Barb!

Chris

I have hyptothyroidism. It was diagnosed when I was about 17 and hadn't had a period in a year!! Besides that, I was always tired. At that time (the stone age), I was on some drug I had to take 3 times a day, but for years I have been on Synthroid and have never had a problem. I see an endocronologist once a year (twice a year since I had my heart surgery). I take .125 mg per day.

I take .1 mg (or 1 mcg) Synthroid once daily, first thing in the AM and on an empty stomach. I was diagnosed hypothyroid about a dozen years ago, about the same time in retrospect that I would look back and say I began having some BAV troubles. The doc keeps my thyroid on the slow side of normal, he said to make things easier for my heart. Also, I've read that too much thyroid supplement can deplete your body of calcium. Hypothyroid usually causes high cholesterol, weight issues of course -- which the supplement doesn't necessarily correct, hair loss, tiredness, thick/rough skin, and other things. I was on the generic Synthroid (levothyroxine) at first and I don't think that worked at well; I've read since that it is one of a few generic categories that aren't as good as the name brand. I've never seen an endo for it but I would recommend [seeing a good endo] to anyone else because I've never been satisfied with my experience. I hope this helps.

There is a book that was on the NYTimes Bestseller List years ago, something like Dr. Abravanal's Body Type Diet, based on the opinion that each of us has a dominant gland (one of four) which we often deplete by overuse. The idea behind the book is to allow the depleted gland to rest, in part by consuming foods/beverages that make the other glands work more. It made sense to me but I didn't follow it because I'd have to give up my coffee. I don't drink a whole lot of coffee but it's a big no-no according to the book if you need to allow your thyroid to rest. You may find that interesting to look into.

Adrienne -

Adrienne -

How do you feel on the Synthroid? You say you have never had problems and said you were very tired when first diagnosed. Do you still struggle with tiredness, etc.?

Susan - you say you have had problems ever since your diagnosis -- do the meds make you feel better? Do you have up's and down's in how you feel? I am seeing an endocrinologist, but am not sure about her yet.

You talk about coffee and healing the thyroid - you know I gave up caffeine entirely before my surgery and for two years after. I am back to drinking about 1-1/2 cups of coffee a day. I developed the hypothyroidism in the "rest" period for my thyroid (when I was off caffeine). I don't believe necessarily in some of these things - giving up this food or that food. I believe that overall emotional and physical stress is what gets us in the end. Moderation is key.

I realize that post surgery I was a mess emotionally and still am to a degree. I feel that has had more to do with my hypothyroidism than drinking coffee or eating the wrong foods.

I want to think that gee, people with valve problems get thyroid disease more than the average population, but I know that is not true. My older sister was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and she has a perfect heart. I was thinking about it last night - when my Dad and Mom died (three years apart - Mom five years ago and Dad before her), I was sooooo sad and still am - I cannot get over how Mom died with her cancer and seeing her suffer - my older sister is the same way - she is still very sad also - my two younger sisters are very matter-of-fact and mourn and move on and don't let themselves think too much. So....my older sister and I have hypothyroidism and my younger sisters do not. There has to be something to that! Valve patients have a lot of stress and sadness regarding their surgeries - hello!!

Thanks for all your help with this. I took my first Synthroid and Cytomel this morning - the Synthroid is not the generic form. Thanks for the heads-up Susan.

P.S. Barb - thanks for reminding me that everyone is different regarding how they react to medications. I guess I should know that - I have seen it firsthand.

Here I am taking another "pill" and I HATE it!! I will try to get my life in some semblence of order with improvement of my diet and stress reduction, and maybe I can get a handle on this thyroid stuff and still be able to live well in spite of it.

Christina L

Christina L said:
...Susan - you say you have had problems ever since your diagnosis -- do the meds make you feel better? Do you have up's and down's in how you feel? I am seeing an endocrinologist, but am not sure about her yet...

No, Christina. I actually feel very well. I have not had ongoing problems, except weight, and didn't intend to give the impression that I have ongoing problems. I was just trying to answer your original questions with what I've learned about hypothyroidism.

But I was never completely convinced that I just needed to take some pill for it and it's very difficult if not impossible to stop taking it; I've even tried tapering off. And I never had a weight problem before I began taking Synthroid. So that's probably the major irritant to me and why I would recommend others go see experts to hopefully avoid that.

Nobody in my family ever had thyroid problems. I have read that decades ago the government practiced on newborn babies (unknown to their parents) dropping Iodine (edit - or something) down their throats and subsequent thyroid issues arose. But the reports said that happened in military hospitals and I wasn't born in one. Were you?

Susan -

Susan -

I was not born in a military hospital. My sister was recently diagnosed with hypo and I think my Mom had hypothyroidism - she had all the classic symptoms, i.e. tiredness and weight gain, unable to lose weight...

I am glad, Susan, that you feel great. That is good news for me also! It gives me hope.

The weight gain on Synthroid worries me, though. I have heard about that before. I already have 10 pounds I cannot shake off. The thought of gaining more is kinda scary. I hear, also, people lose weight when they get their thyroid hormone regulated and I hope that will be me.

I was hyperthyroid all my growing up years - at least I think - I was terribly skinny, had heart palpitations (was on Tenormin for this and was told it was from my MVP but now I realize it was thyroid) - the palpitations went away when I was around 30 years of age and I started to gain a little bit of weight, but it has been since my surgery that I have put on the 10-15 pounds. :(

I try to eat healthfully and to exercise, but now I will start an all-our effort and also try to figure out a way to be less stressed. It will be a long process and I guess I want to feel better overnight. Ain't gonna happen, I know.

Susan and others: Do you have allergies? My allergies are getting worse - I get allergy shots and am having to take Benadryl more often than I used to for my sneezing and sniffling.

Thanks for your help! I MUCH appreciate it! Have a good weekend.

Christina L

P.S. - and then

P.S. - and then

I'm turning off this computer!!! :eek: :eek:

Susan - are you on T3 such as Cytomel? From ALL that I have read, when people who are hypothyroid start on synthetic (Cytomel) or natural T3 (such as Armour), they feel a lot better - maybe that will help you take weight off also (?). Worth a try!

Christina L

Christine, you asked me how I feel on the Synthroid. I feel fine. I have to admit that when I was still working, I would get very tired in the afternoon, but I attribute that to two things: my valve problem and the fact that I get stressed very easily in work situations, and that type of stress can just sap your energy. However, it is not at all the same thing as when I was a teenager and would practically fall asleep in the morning in school. However, although, people think I don't have a weight problem, it takes a tremendous amount of self-discipline to not eat too much. I would say that to keep my weight the same, I probably eat more or less 1700 calories a day on the average. When I do gain a few pounds, it takes ages to take them off. Last winter, I realized at the beginning of February I had gained about 4 pounds since my operation. It took me two months to lose them. I'm sure it would be much worse though without the Synthroid.

I take synthroid but don't know much about it. I have never been to an endocrinologist. I feel a little better than I used to but with the a fib and the rest of the problems I just don't know. Maybe I could feel better and just haven't learned enough about it. I am glad to see this posting.

Adrienne -

Adrienne -

I admire you for being so self disciplined about your weight. I think I just need to realize that my younger days are over when I could eat anything I wanted. I think most people as they "mature" have to eat less to stay at a good weight. It is not fun! :(

I had a very rough night - could not sleep well - late yesterday I started to feel "wired" and it took me forever to fall into a halfway decent sleep but I kept waking up through the night and this morning feel groggy.

I took my first Synthroid and Cytomel yesterday morning on an empty stomach like prescribed. I think I should not be taking the Cytomel and maybe cut the dose back of Synthroid - here is something I found on a message board on the web. I am not going to take my med this morning and will call my doctor today.

It gives me lots of hope that you all do very well on the Synthroid without adding T3. I didn't think the Armour Thyroid was doing anything - I was still tired at times and had a lot of brain fog and forgetfulness, but I am also in perimenopause.

-------------------------

The best drug is the drug which safely makes you feel your best. And there's no predetermined formula to tell which drug will be the best for you, until you try them all, find optimal doses, and see how you do over time.

Synthroid , Unithroid, Levoxyl and Levothroid thyroid hormone medications are not a chemical meant to trick our system in any way. It is not toxic like other medications since it is made the same as our naturally occurring thyroid hormone.

T3: is no "magic" pill that will necessarily make you feel better. For some T-3 might work while others T-3 might not. I have heard of persons having to go off of it after a period of time because it was creating heart issues. Plus ending up with the same symptom as the reason for going on T-3.
Some people can not tolerate the smallest dose of T3, even cutting the smallest dose in half and developing some heart issues. When going off the T3, the heart issues went away and they felt better and felt good on T4 alone.

Armour: Pork allergies may make this supplement problematic for some. There are some patients and practitioners who are also concerned about these products due to fears of prion-related diseases such as Mad Cow Disease, despite manufacturer assurances that these products are safe.

Influx of T3 (Armour has a 4:1 ratio of T4 to T3 while the human body is more like 9:1) will accelerate heart rate and cause defibrillation (excuse spelling). It's not the Armour per se -it's the T3.
Armour Thyroid will initially make people feel better, but over time, the level of tissue t3 builds up and then you feel bad again. Because the proportions in Armour are approx 80% T4 and 20% T3, does not match the body's natural state, which is approx. 98% T4 and 2 % T3. T3 levels get too high, and then you feel bad again. So when starting Armour it is possible to have a few good weeks of feel good, then then for it to seem to wear off. Usually the reason is that the initial boost is from the T3 addition, but then the crash is because the T3/T4 ratio is not optimum for your body.

I have read, taking T3 in pill form is like swallowing uppers because there's a immediate rush, and then a quick down-turn and it can have serious, adverse health consequences. I heard it called cocane of thyroid drugs.

Here is smothing else to consider if lactose:
Synthetic T4 - Eltroxin, Levothroid, Levoxyl, Oroxine, Synthroid, UnithroidMost brands: contain lactose as a filler. Levothroid and Levoxyl do not.

Synthetic T3 - Cytomel, Tertroxin, Cynomel : Contains lactose as a filler

Synthetic T4/T3 - Thyrolar: Contains lactose as a filler
Desiccated thyroid - Armour, Thyroid, Derived from pigs:
Doesn't contain lactose.

I suggest going to Government sites and/or thyroid orginartions and medical association for your information. Below are just some sites.

British Thyroid Foundation http://www.btf-thyroid.org/index.htm

American Thyroid Associatrion http://www.thyroid.org/patients/faqs/hormonetreatment.html

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, history of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract

All Thyroid http://www.tsh.org/disorders/hypothyroidism/bestrxhypo.html

Dr. Koop http://www.drkoop.com/ency/93/guides/000038_7_4.html

Thyroid Federation International http://www.thyroid-fed.org/publications/neweng.html

My Thyroid http://www.mythyroid.com/optimalthyroid.html

The Journal of linical Endocrinology & Metabloism http://jcem.endojournals.org:80/cgi/content/abstract/88/10/4543

Christina L

Christina -

When did you begin taking Synthroid? I believe it can take weeks to make a measurable adjustment in your system. I've also heard that if you miss it for even a day that it can throw your measurement off. Those two opinions might seem (to me) to contradict each other but my family doctor has told me both so they must fit together somehow.

From your descriptions of symptoms, I was actually wondering if menopause might be an issue for you also. I've read too that from a woman's first hot flash, she will usually reach full-blown menopause within two years. There is reportedly usually an earlier onset in women who didn't have children; I think the overall average onset is estimated about 50-51 years.

Susan -

Susan -

I took 150 mcg of Synthroid for the first time yesterday morning (on an empty stomach) and also 10 mcg of the Cytomel.

I just spoke with the endo on call and he said that sometimes when people switch to a different thyroid med, they get an immediate reaction but things will settle down with time. He gave me a choice of what to do - to stop the Cytomel completely for a week and slowly start to add it back in or to cut back on the doses of both the Cytomel and the Synthroid. I chose to stop taking the Cytomel.

He said not to skip the dose of the Synthroid and to take one today. He also said those are low doses compared to 3 grains of Armour which is what I was taking. He also said that it takes a while for the thyroid to build up in your system, but I think maybe since I was already on Armour, this is why this happened.

All I know is I hate that wired feeling and I want to sleep! I like my sleep! :)

I still have my periods like clockwork - I am in perimenopause for sure. My mother started going through menopause at 48. Two of my sisters (ages 48 and 45) are in menopause. One sister had four babies and the other had none - my other sister who had three kids is in perimenopause like I am (I bore no children). I know I am close to going through the "big change". The joys of being a woman! Hee.

P.S. The endo I saw on Friday in Boulder - she said "Things will calm down for you in a few years," meaning thyroid, hormones, etc. She also told me it would be okay to be on bioidentical hormones - ONLY to get me through the change, not to take them longterm. I am going to look into that, as I know I am low on estrogen.

Thanks Susan!

Christina L

Latest posts

Back