Thumping won't go away

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

coco

Hi
I had an aortic valve replacement with graph for anerysm about 4 years ago. Now, I'm suddenly getting thumping in my chest whenever I take a little deeper breath. I've had tests but everything seems to be normal. It comes and goes but seems to be getting worse. It's in upper chest where the graph is. It's freaking me out. ANYBODY else get this? I'm on anticoagulants only.

Ho Coco .... I did not have an aneurysm repair but I did have AVR almost three years ago ... I never have heard the "ticking" some talk about but a "thump" like feeling .... I hardly ever notice it but once and a while it will manifest itself and it is annoying at most ... what I think means nothing but I believe it has to do with body acoustics which change as we age, weight fluctuations and even gas:D .....

If you have been checked out I would think all is well ... if it persists and you can't stand it get a second opinion .... Best of luck!!!

I know what you speak of...I have a mechanical valve and a aortic graft too like you...I get the same thumping sensation all the time and it is more obvious when I breathe deeply...I am pretty sure its quite normal and the increased sound and sensation is because when you breathe in you raise the diaphragm which pushes the heart upwards and this exaggerates the sound and feeling we get.

Oh yes! I have had the exact same surgery almost two years ago. I have a St Jude valve, it is loud sometimes. But when I take a deep breath it is really loud and also makes a thump sound. I asked my doctor and he told me that was normal, and it was just fine, all my reports are fine. As long as I am ticking I am alive! :) Don't worry about it.

I am also one of those who had the exact same surgery. Sometimes it is a loud tick, and sometimes it is more of a load thumping sound. So far it has not caused me any problems. I had echo about a year and a half ago, and all was well.

Karl

...I have a mechanical valve ......I get the same thumping sensation .......... it is more obvious when I breathe deeply..

Above applies on me too...when I breathe deeply; and sometimes i feel it whenever i wake up suddenly during the night (I have sleep apnea and sometimes I take the mask off), or during the day when I overwork myself. This is normal and this should be reassuring since all your tests are fine.:)

Thanks for all of your responses. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone.

Yes I notice it also. I attribute it to the fact that the mechanical valve "slams" shut as apposed to a tissue valve that would close softly. If I can hear it or feel it it means just one thing. . . I am still alive:D and that's good!

I know what you speak of...I have a mechanical valve and a aortic graft too like you...I get the same thumping sensation all the time and it is more obvious when I breathe deeply...I am pretty sure its quite normal and the increased sound and sensation is because when you breathe in you raise the diaphragm which pushes the heart upwards and this exaggerates the sound and feeling we get.

I do believe when you breath in the diaphragm is pushed down. With more air in the chest, thump sounds could because of aquestics. spelling probably incorrect.

Hi Coco.
I had the same surgery and I could hear that thumping too. The Dr. told me it was caused by the tubing that replaced my aorta. I think it is made out of velour or something. He told me it was no problem. I tend to notice it more when I take a very deep breath or my heart rate is high.

I like to add to what I mentioned earlier, I feel them more when/if I am dehydrated. I normally drink lots of fluids during the day, but the days I am busy and do not drink as much, I feel the thumping more. Did you or anyone else notice that?!

Latest posts

Back