Throat Tightness/Angina?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Marie

Since being diagnosed with CHF this past December, I would occasionally have a sensation that I can only describe as a tightness or a constriction of my throat. I hadn't had it since April (I had my AVR April 24). My surgeon thought it was angina, however, it doesn't always occur with exertion. My heart rate doesn't change, I don't feel short of breath and I don't get chest pain. What is really feels like is the tightness you get in your throat when you're about to cry, but there's no emotion associated with it.

Anyhow, it just started again this past week. I've been more active this week and increasing my workouts. Also, my INR was only 1.6 but my doctor didn't want to increase my coumadin because he wants two low lab values in a row before he does. I just saw him yesterday and he said the valve sounded fine.

Anyone else have this symptom before? I have looked through my textbooks and can't find it described anywhere. Is it a symptom of angina? My arteries are normal, but I do have left ventricular dysfuntion, so perhaps I'm just doing too much too fast.

Thanks!

I've had it before, but it was stress related and was not a symptom of my heart problems.

Do you think it could be stress? Sometimes our bodies react to things in a funny manner. When it happened to me, it would happen at seemingly random times.

Kev

My husband had has this. When his CHF was very bad, his neck veins were quite pronounced and pulsating. His voice was also weak and hoarse. His throat felt tight too.

There is no way to tell if your condition is the same, but It is something you should bring to the attention of your doctor. This is true especially if you are retaing fluid in other locations, or are feeling shortness of breath or any of the other symptoms of CHF.

Tightness in your throat probably could have many reasons, but since you mentioned CHF, I related to that.

Here is a link for CHF:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000158.htm

Hi Anne-Marie
I get something that sounds like what you describe if I retain a lot of fluid. It was really bad before my surgery, but I still get it every couple of months or so. For me it feels more like somebody stuck a balloon down my throat and pumped it full of air. Kind of a mildly-cramping type feeling. It gets worse on exertion for me, and although my doctor says "it's a bit of stretch to say you are in CHF", it's clear I do have some reduction in function (last echo showed EF of 51%).

I take care of it by adding another diuretic (Zaroxolyn) to the Demadex I take nightly. I only take it once, then cancel any plans I had for the evening :D . Again, my original prescription from the hospital was for 15 pills, and I still have 5 or 6 left. Most of them were taken in the first few weeks home, and I'm 15 months post op.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with you, and I'm certainly not a doctor...etc. Sounds like you are already working with your doc on it, that's the best plan!

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and links.

Yesterday, my cardiologist sent me to emerg to have an ecg done. In the past, my surgeon felt the tightness was angina. When I spoke to the nurse at the cardiologist's office, she said, "It's not cardiac, your arteries are fine". At the hospital, I was quick to tell them that my arteries were fine as of April. They said "Then it's not angina if your arteries were fine".

I've always understood that poor ventricular dysfunction can lead to poor cardiac muscle perfusion which can lead to ischemia which can cause angina symptoms. Now my cardiologist's nurse and the doctor at emerg they tell me that's not the case!:confused:

My ecg and my cardiac enzymes were all within normal ranges. I had an echo last week, just waiting for the results.

Thanks again.

There is a somewhat rare condition called tracheal stenosis, or narrowing/constriction of the airway. There are a number of different causes; a search on Google will give you more info. My sister-in-law was just diagnosed with this, and presented with symptoms similar to what you described. It is often misdiagnosed.

Best,
--John

Latest posts

Back