Three Year Check-up; My Heart Still Beats!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaM

Had my three year checkup today. The good news was my heart was still beating. :D :D The bad news? Well, there was no bad news! Dr. Cosgrove did it again, another successful valve repair.

As for the rest of life? Busy as ever! I know, I know - you all thought I would be sitting on my laurels after having gotten fixed. :D :D :D Business has taken off again, and I spent most of the spring and early summer shuttling back between Boulder and Birmingham, and am getting very good at saying "Thank QQQQQQ!" just like my Southern friends. :D

Travel must be in my horoscope this year, as, in addition to traveling to Birmingham, I just got back from Fargo, North Dakota and Spring Green, Wisconsin, have been traveling to the lakes to go sailing, and hope to accompany my friend to Taiwan later this summer when she adopts her new bundle of joy! (Needless to say, my dog sitting bills are through the roof!)

Oh yeah. This month I have decided to start training to hike a 14-er (a 14,000 foot mountain for all of you non-Coloradans). The cardiologist gave me the A-okay, just encouraged me to keep my heart rate in its target zone. I'll give you the full report on how it goes!

Last summer I started another business, this one focused on higher education marketing (rather than strictly online marketing). And this fall, I am scheduled to start my MBA at the University of Colorado, Boulder.

I share all of this, not because I think you are all oh-so-interested in my happenings :D :D, but rather, to let some of you in the waiting room know how rich life can be post-operatively. I have my share of palpitations, the occasional day where I feel like I can't get out of bed, but for the most part, life is good. LIFE IS GOOD!

Carpe Diem!

Good for you, Melissa! It's great to hear you are doing so well. I recall when you made your posts describing your trip to Cleveland. I can't believe it's been 3 years already. I'm at 4.5 years, also doing great (another satisfied Cleveland Clinic), and no indication whatsoever of any problems.

Regards,

As somebody fast approaching my first anniversary, it's great to see all the success stories posted. Congratulations on the really good news. Here's wishing you continued good health!

JohnnyV

Great report, Melissa!

Great report, Melissa!

THANK you for giving us all such an upbeat exaample of what is possible!

H

Geesh sis, I remember a girl that didn't know what to do as her world was all upside down after surgery. I'd say you did more then grab the bull by the horns, I think you ripped his head off and ate it too! :D

Melissa, you sound wonderful and life is being so good to you. Good for you, keep up the good work and enjoy life to the fullest. Hugs are coming your way girlfriend.:) :) :)

Rocky Mountain High

Rocky Mountain High

Melissa,

Loved to hear that wonderful news. I know the significance of these milestone check-ops. Just had my 16-month post-op and also got a good report from the cardio. Glad to hear about the mountain-climbing. My dog and I have begin tentatively exploring short hikes along the Appalachian Trail as it goes through the Blue Ridge here. Peak elevation is about 4,000 feet. Of course that must be a mere foothill to you Coloradans. :D

Hope everything continues to go swimmingly for you.

Cheers....

Congratulations Melissa, on your clean bill of health and your busy life. You are a good example of life being good post valve surgery. Keep pushing ahead!

Sounds like you have overcome and beaten the heart issues and anything else that might have come your way. Congratulations on doing so well both medically and in your business life.
I hope things continue on this upward path.

Thanks for all of the encouraging replies. Ross, you made me laugh out loud. :) I needed that. After such a rough time during and right after surgery, it makes the current good times all that much sweeter. I appreciate each day that comes (okay, well, most of them, anyway! :) )

This picture was taken after a great day of sailing off the shores of Lake McCanaughy in Nebraska. At one time, I wasn't sure if I could get back to sailing, which made this day and sunset all the more special:

Hi surgery sis! So glad to hear everything is going so well for you. Do you ever get the feeling "was it only 3 years ago that all this was going on in my life?". I sometimees do. So much has happened in my life since that day and very obviously in your life as well. Keep up the good work. I expect you to bring home good report cards now.:)

Melissa, glad to hear things are going well. My brother and family (Littleton) vacation every year a McNaughton. He's the one that does Pike's Peak every September. I joined him once. Would like to do Long's next. I'm excited for you. Go Go Go.

Congratulations Melissa!

It's great to hear such a positive post and gives me hope that perhaps my three year check-up, when it gets here, will go as well. :)

And BOY does your

And BOY does your

heart beat - keeping YOU going at 90 mph!! :p Crazy girl!!

Congratulations on your three-year anniversary and to have such wonderful news from your doctor.

Your nephew, Kyle, is a doll BTW. Your friend that is adopting - how long was her wait? I have a feeling that you may be wanting to adopt one of these days - no?? You would make a wonderful mother for sure.

I have climbed one 14er and it was one of the five easiest ones - it was years ago when I was a young thing - was like a walk in the park. Now Longs Peak is one of the five hardest 14ers to climb - Wayne got me as far as the keyhole on Longs about seven years ago - when we crawled through the keyhole and came out to the other side to major cliffs - I started to cry and wouldn't go any further. I have no desire to climb another 14er - doing some nice easy trails is my type of thing. But good luck in your endeavor - maybe you will be one of those people who has to climb all the 14ers in the state by the time you are 60 or something. ;)

Again, congrats - have a great summer and Wayne and I hope to see you soon!!

Chris

And the beat goes on......

Congratulations. So glad everything is going (and has gone) so well for you! It sure is good to know that such a recovery is indeed possible!

Keep on trekking!

Congratulations Melissa! Glad to hear your repair is holding up well. Best of luck with grad school and everything else!

Congratulations to you, Melissa. Sounds like your life is in full swing right now with going to grad school and hiking up mountains -- wow! You have such a positive outlook on life and offer all of us, even us old timers, much encouragement. Enjoy. :) :)

Latest posts

Back