Thinned blood or blood thinners and body temp?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrsBray;n858639 said:
Oh my gosh, almost_hectic, you're only a month-ish out of surgery. YES, you're going to have temperature-regulation issues for maybe a few more months! And when you do settle down, you'll find that since your circulation is a JILLION times better than before, you're not going to get cold as fast, and the humid heat won't sap your strength as fast. Climate just simply becomes easier to tolerate because your blood is moving around your body like it was meant to.

That's all.
(I grew up near Buffalo. I refuse to tolerate the cold anymore. Hence - Tarpon Springs.)
(PS Thin blood? Yes, when I notice I'm bruising easily then go for INR test and it's high, I *swear* it feels like its moving faster through my veins. I just shake my head and go on about life.)

You'll have a new normal, it'll take around 12 months (give or take some). I'm 18 months out and still noticing new differences. That's life. :)

Glad to hear it! About feeling better and the new norm. Not great about how long it takes. Although it will be interesting to experience. I am noticeably better every day, it's pretty cool! More comfortable, stronger and just feel better in general, and I don't even feel like I've regained the activity level I had prior to surgery yet! It really will change my world!

almost_hectic;n858616 said:
Hey thanks. Yeah just in the past week I feel much more comfortable mostly. Chills during the day have mostly gone away as well as have the hot nights. I actually haven't even given it much thought until I just read your post. Coincidentally most of my pain is gone too and I've felt stronger using my arms. Still a tiny bit tender in my incision area, but I was told it would take 6 weeks for the bone to heal... Well this is week 6! I made it! Hoping thing will progress much quicker now. yesterday I drove for the first time since surgery, well I did okay, but that steering stuff was harder than I thought.

The one time I had temperature issues was when the beta blocker medication was titrated to 5mg from 2.5...intense night sweats, chills during the day. It didn't agree with me, and went back to 2.5 mg without issue (I have since come off beta blockers entirely). When anything like that does happen, I notify my doctor and give him a heads up.

MrsBray;n858681 said:
Cardiac Rehab will show you some changes also. Let me know if you ever get up toward Clearwater, I'd love to meet a valve patient my own age!

I know right! I'm excited about rehab getting me feeling great. It feels so strange to me like the only place valve patients exist is on this website. I've never met one yet! When I go to cardiac rehab right now everyone is very old and sounds like most are there after having a heart attack or stints. I can see them all looking and wondering what the heck I'm doing there. I'm 44 and told I look younger than my age. one of the EPs at my rehab said he has a patient 50 years old who just got a valve replacement a few weeks before me and is a triathlon guy. So I've been curious if I'll meet him at some point.

With the point having been made that 'blood thinners' don't thin blood, and that they don't make you cold, I'll tell you that post surgery, which was early summer in Toronto (about like Southern California is year round) I couldn't sty warm at all. I wore fleecy winter slippers and a big housecoat when I was indoors, and I wore a winter jacket and wool hat outdoors. Over the course of the summer I got better, and by fall I was normal.

With the point having been made that 'blood thinners' don't thin blood, and that they don't make you cold, I'll tell you that post surgery, which was early summer in Toronto (about like Southern California is year round) I couldn't sty warm at all. I wore fleecy winter slippers and a big housecoat when I was indoors, and I wore a winter jacket and wool hat outdoors. Over the course of the summer I got better, and by fall I was normal.

Latest posts

Back