Thinking about dying...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orlandotommy

I kind of remember reading somewhere that when someone has a major heart surgery, like a valve replacement its often normal for them to think about dying more often than other people... I dont exactly believe that but i worry about it all the time. Im 38 years old, had my surgery when i was 34, just got married and life is good. Sometimes i stop and think what if something went wrong or what if something crazy happened to my valve. Most of the stories i have read on here over the years have always been positive and that always makes me feel better but sometimes i just think about dying to much and it really bothers me. I know there is a fellow on the board named Al that has had his valve for 35+ years and that always makes me feel awesome. I run everyday, i lift weights, extremely active, heck most people wouldnt even have a clue ive ever had surgery. Anyways, just wondering what others think and if im somewhat alone thinking these thoughts? :cool2:

How can you not feel different after laying there face to face with death? At least, that's when it especially hit me, as I lay on the gurney before surgery, about the time they were shaving various parts and getting ready to give me the happy juice. I feel that my whole life since, nearly 11 years, has been influenced by that realization that I might not wake up from the surgery. I turned to my faith in the Lord Jesus, and found Him totally reliable then and ever since. I entered surgery confident that I would either wake up in recovery or wake up in heaven. I don't mean to be preachy, but you ask. Now, I hardly think about death at all, since I've already faced that, and nothing has changed since.

How can you not feel different after laying there face to face with death? At least, that's when it especially hit me, as I lay on the gurney before surgery, about the time they were shaving various parts and getting ready to give me the happy juice. I feel that my whole life since, nearly 11 years, has been influenced by that realization that I might not wake up from the surgery. I turned to my faith in the Lord Jesus, and found Him totally reliable then and ever since. I entered surgery confident that I would either wake up in recovery or wake up in heaven. I don't mean to be preachy, but you ask. Now, I hardly think about death at all, since I've already faced that, and nothing has changed since.

Amen to that, Jim! I have always put myself in the Lord's hands and asked him to do with me what he wishes. Afterall, in my opinion, I am not in control of my destiny....HE is.

I kind of remember reading somewhere that when someone has a major heart surgery, like a valve replacement its often normal for them to think about dying more often than other people...... Most of the stories i have read on here over the years have always been positive and that always makes me feel better but sometimes i just think about dying to much and it really bothers me........ I run everyday, i lift weights, extremely active, heck most people wouldnt even have a clue ive ever had surgery. Anyways, just wondering what others think and if im somewhat alone thinking these thoughts? :cool2:

I read your post this morning but couldn't answer then because I was late for a golf game, so I'll tell my experience with this "death issue" now.

I have often thought about death. How could you not? There is a constant reminder in you chest that won't go away. The trick is to accept it for what it is, and that is much easier said than done.....at least it was for me. My surgery was when I was 31 and at a time when there was not a lot of positive history on valve success.....that, and the lack of any information and support for "lay" people caused me all kinds of problems. Today we know that most folks go on with their lives without missing a beat. Web sites, like this one are invaluable to people who are facing, or who have gone thru OHS. I found this place about five years ago and it has added years to my life...(pun intended).

My earlier thoughts of death have not come to pass and have proven to have been a total waste of my time.....and I imagine that will be true for you as well. Unfortunately, we all have to go thru that phase. I have passed the "life expectancy of 73" that existed when I had the surgery in 1967.....and since I am approaching 77, I got a pretty good shot at passing the current "life expectancy of 78+". It's like a conversation I had a few years ago with my doc. He said "yep, you will die someday from something, but it probably will not be due to a valve failure". So far.....so good!!!

The young 60 somethins I play golf with are amazed that I can still hit a golf ball....pretty good at my age. It would "blow their minds" if they knew I also have a 45 year old "artificial valve".....and I ain't gonna tell 'em.

Tommy, you have gotten great responses to your post.
Both njean and dick have had their valves since "forever" ;) Their great attitudes are reflected in their lives.
We have faced a huge surgery, and have our new lives ahead of us just like anybody else. Maybe we are just more grateful.

I just spent a good hour adding to Jim, Dick and Jean's point about the hands of the Lord ........AND IT WOULD NOT POST it being Sunday I have managed to keeo a lid on it :angel: but in a nut shell I have seen the "LIGHT" on eight seperate occasions. Twice on the table and six times my I.C.D. or Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator has revived me and saved my life ......Whle I will not welcome death, I no longer FEAR it

I read your post this morning but couldn't answer then because I was late for a golf game, so I'll tell my experience with this "death issue" now.

I have often thought about death. How could you not? There is a constant reminder in you chest that won't go away. The trick is to accept it for what it is, and that is much easier said than done.....at least it was for me. My surgery was when I was 31 and at a time when there was not a lot of positive history on valve success.....that, and the lack of any information and support for "lay" people caused me all kinds of problems. Today we know that most folks go on with their lives without missing a beat. Web sites, like this one are invaluable to people who are facing, or who have gone thru OHS. I found this place about five years ago and it has added years to my life...(pun intended).

My earlier thoughts of death have not come to pass and have proven to have been a total waste of my time.....and I imagine that will be true for you as well. Unfortunately, we all have to go thru that phase. I have passed the "life expectancy of 73" that existed when I had the surgery in 1967.....and since I am approaching 77, I got a pretty good shot at passing the current "life expectancy of 78+". It's like a conversation I had a few years ago with my doc. He said "yep, you will die someday from something, but it probably will not be due to a valve failure". So far.....so good!!!

The young 60 somethins I play golf with are amazed that I can still hit a golf ball....pretty good at my age. It would "blow their minds" if they knew I also have a 45 year old "artificial valve".....and I ain't gonna tell 'em.

I always love dicks responses. Death is inevitable to us all, but you just have to live to the fullest and believe. Since it's inevitable, the best thing we can do is accept it, forget about it, and live for today while loving our families, friends and doing as much good as we can.

Try focusing your time and energy on life. I have never heard a story of a valve failing so bad that life ended. I have talked with many whose valves have become non-existent, yet they lived to have them replaced. Along the way to failure, you should have plenty of time to experience symptoms that you and your Cardio should discuss.

Stay well
Scott

Back