The View Hotel on the Navajo Nation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This being a three day weekend, Barb and I decided to take a little trip to Monument Valley, located on the Navajo Nation. The geography is amazing in this part of the country, and even the lines we have arbitrarily drawn on our maps are strange. We left the Jemez in the mid-afternoon, and before long we were traveling in the dark. And by dark I mean no town lights, no road lights, and no headlights except our own. Some times we could see a far off tiny light, which was probably a kerosene lamp in someone's hogan.

Somewhere along the way we took a wrong turn, going north twenty miles before we realized our mistake, cut across a small county road to arrive at Monument Valley. Given the local geography, and our small detour, we traveled through parts of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona.

We arrived at "The View" hotel last night. The views both inside and outside) from the hotel itself are incredible. Each room has a private balcony, and the first thing we did was head out for a look off the balcony. There was a dusting of light snow, and a billion stars. I gave it everything I had, but there wasn't enough light to focus the camera for a picture.

I did get up about 4:30 am, and started taking pictures with the tripod. I will be getting those up to my "smug-mug" site in the near future. We have hooked up with a Navajo guide, and will be leaving on a "photo safari" in the next hour. I hope things go well. I have attached a picture from this morning.

http://jemezphoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Monument-Valley-2010/10960490_C8Q9H#765872364_odNDQ-XL-LB

Gee, Dennis- this new picture looks like an award winning picture. I think it is perfect in every way, the focus, the exposure, the contrast (Chiaroscuro), the colors, are all outstanding.

For those who may be interested:

For those who may be interested:

I have posted a total of twelve pictures from that trip. Take a look at the picture of the hand outlined in white. Barb is going to be asking her second graders how they think that was done. (I believe I know, by the way). Does anyone care to make a guess?

No guess from me!

I really, really wish you could have taken a picture of the night sky. What a beautiful sight that must have been.

Do you care to take a guess on which picture was my favorite? It was hard to decide, so even if you pick one of the two runners-up, I will credit you with a correct guess. ;)

Well.....

Well.....

First, I am mighty pleased to say that number 3 of the 12 was purchased by a very, very good photographer-a guy very hard to impress. That would be a good guess-but I don't think that is it. I know you have often liked pictures with a dark sky. So I might guess #6 or 7.

As far as the hand is concerned-remember they didn't have our technology-but they did have a wisdom that still, to some extent, we have not been able to completely master.

It is a shame the sun was not out. I got some help from a Navajo guide to find this picture. It was a bit of hike considering my recent problems. But I love the picture, and I especially love the teardrop shape.

http://jemezphoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Monument-Valley-2010/10960490_C8Q9H#766261090_MhPdD-A-LB

Dennis, this is a great shot. You should crop it vertically, so that you only see the background through the teardrop frame. I did this just on my screen and it was even more striking of a photograph. (it's the graphic designer in me...) :)

Back