The ticking and the crying

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhayley

Hello and Im curious to know if there is ANYONE who can give me some help on how to drown out the tick, click, ping, ping, noise due to my mechanical valve. Im already insane to say the least as this thing never shuts up. Thats a good thing Im told HA! I sleep with pillows and blankets up against my chest to quiet things down. I take sleep aids also but once I wake up (1am or so) no matter the time IM UP! I can hear it tick tick tick and its sooooo loud. I know boo hooo for me but this has caused me tremendous sleep deprivation at night and now I have to compensate by sleeping in the day. How do you work days and do that? I suffer from ptsd and cry just about every single day and cant seem to get through the fact that I had OHS and that Im okay and life goes on. Instead I sit and stare and daydream about the whole event (over and over and over again) and STILL TO THIS DAY I cant believe I went through it. Okay starting to choke up and cry again now.......im so desperate to feel better psycially and mentally......I walk 2 1/2 miles EVERY day plus take anti depressants yet NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ME! Thanks for you time and any input would be more than appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

As far as the clicking sound goes, this is very normal. When I had my St. Jude mitral valve implanted, I heard it all the time...in my head and my throat. It did keep me awake at night because that's when everything in the house is very quiet. Believe me, as time goes on, you won't even notice it's there. I know that's hard to believe now, but trust me. I've had my valve for over 24 years. I can't remember exactly how long it took to quit hearing it click but it wasn't all that long. As far as your depression, I'm sure some of that is normal but be sure to talk with your doctor about it. LINDA

Or try the TV too. However, I would encourage you to speak with your doctor about your symptoms. Depression is very common for OHS patients and your description of PTSD, sleeplessness (but the ability to sleep during the day) and crying (more than the usual?), lead me to think that some post-operative depression may be part of the issue.

The closer you are to your surgery, the louder the valve is. After healing, it does begin to quiet down. At almost 6 months post op, I would think that yours probably is quieting down, but that you are so aware and sensitive to it's sounds it probably seems like it hasn't changed.

Do not feel hesitant in seeking help in getting through this first year. It can be rough, but you will get through it.

I don't know what sleep aid you are taking, but you may want to try something that is longer acting. Ambien has a form out now called Ambien CR. It is supposed to help you stay asleep through a timed release formula. If you are treating yourself with OTC sleep aids they probably aren't strong enough at this point in your life and just another reason you need to discuss your issues with your doctor. If by chance your doctor gives you the "Oh, you'll get through this." without recommending a course of treatment, then seek out a more sensitive physician.

Best wishes.

Sorry to hear about your post-op emotions. I'm about 2.5 years post-op and the nightime clicking still gets to me occassionally. I think it's commons for people to occassionally have bedtime/nightime anxiety, i.e. health, career, financial, family concerns, etc. Add a mechanical valve into the mix, and it can be quite disturbing.

Hopefully the anxiety will reduce over time, however a good sleep aid I found useful is my IPOD. I set the timer and program in some relaxing jazz, new age or nature tracks and it really helps me relax and helps drown out the valve. I used to just tune in a relaxing radio station, however the commercials can be annoying.

Prior to my surgery, I never heard my heart beat. Now at night, it pounds through my chest. Add that fact that I am now more "heart aware" and natural anxiety over the heart and OHS still exists.

Twinmaker and Mike C are right on with their speculations. I think what's making it more so worse for you, is that your focused on it and everything that has transpired. May I ask just what it is about the surgery that has you caught up in it? Please don't think I'm being naive. I've been through two nightmare surgeries and I have to say that I'm never going to forget them, but I refuse to let them ruin whats left of my life. I was much closer to death during the last and it's left some real impressions on me, but even though I myself thought I'd never make it, I did. Being that I did, I need to remind myself to stop reliving the nightmares in my mind and move toward more functional living thoughts. If I can help you, I will.

Get a sound machine. Joe has two mechanicals. He is not bothered by them except at night when they reverberate in the mattress. His sound machine by Homedics has several nice choices and a volume adjustment. He likes the ocean wave sound. It's soothing, not annoying. It works for him. The machines are not too expensive, at least the one we got wasn't. Around $18.00.

Just Google or Froogle "sound machine" and see what's available online.

gettin some zzzzz's

gettin some zzzzz's

I just returned from getting a sound maching and I think this is going to work out just great! I will let you know as tonight just might be the night I actually sleep more than a few winks. As for the crying......maybe I will hit my finger with a hammer and give myself "something" to cry about. Thank You all for the input....I can always count on you when I have no answeres, am feeling scared or just need some good feedback. THANK YOU....
tick
tick
tick

Heart Sounds

Heart Sounds

Dear Hayley, I'm sorry you're having these troubles. I use a white noise machine frequently myself. It does help. My ticking isn't as noticeable as it was in the first months, but I do hear it sometimes, and am aware of my heart beats whenever I lie down. I've wondered if it's getting louder recently... I should find a way to measure it! Anyway try to think of the things you enjoy in life, and make time for them! I find I don't savor(?) life nearly enough, always rushing about.OHS is a very big deal, and it is very normal to suffer depression at some point in your recovery. The others have given good advice. I especially like Karlynn's, if you have any doctors that aren't sensitive to your feelings and symptoms, replace them! Finding good doctors is like finding any good professional. They aren't very common, but they are worth the search and struggle! Hope you sleep well tonight. That alone will make a big difference. All the best, Brian

Soothing Sounds

Soothing Sounds

I was going to recommend the sound machine but I'm glad to see others have and you are going to give that a try. But I'll chime in with the additional thought that I have a similar problem -- ringing in the ears -- which came on after surgery. It is much more bothersome at night when things quiet down, but I have gotten a device from Sharper Image that provides a choice of some 20 sounds (my favorite is rainfall) or AM/FM radio (sometimes I turn on my favorite all-night country music station). These masking sounds have helped considerably and I sleep much better now. I have even kicked the sleeping pills, I'm very glad to say. Hope it goes well for you now.

Best wishes,

Bob

Hope the sound machine works for you. I'm a TV person myself. It was helpful when I woke up every couple of hours but now I only wake up once a night & then about 15 minutes before my alarm goes off.

You might want to ask your dr about anti-anxiety meds in addition to or instead of the anti-depressants. Yoga might be a good outlet for you as well.

Hope things settle down for you soon...

Cris

Hayley:

Please let us know how the sound machine worked for you.

You had your AVR on the 2nd anniversary of my MVR.
I too have a St. Jude and at first it drove me nuts. Then the noise leveled off. Some people say you get used to it, but I really do think it's not as noisy to me as it was at first. (My dad recently said that the ticking was very noticeable right after surgery.) I hear it just faintly when I drift off to sleep at night and definitely hear it in a tiled room, like a bathroom.

Two years ago, as Christmas Eve (the 6-month anniversary of my MVR)approached, I kept thinking that I wouldn't have been around to share it with my family without the surgery. And that made for some very sobering thoughts and it was a very emotional time for me. I worked past that eventually.

Last Christmas was easier for me, and this Christmas will be even easier. But I will always celebrate Christmas Eve as a half-anniversary of my "new" life. I just try not to dwell on it too much.

I suffered from PTSD following an aggravated rape/kidnap attempt 25 years ago, so I also understand what you're going through with that.

Do ask your family doctor for some help with depression/anxiety right now. It's more common than not to have some following OHS or a coronary.

Good luck, and may the holidays be wonderful for you and your family!

Hayley,
It's easier said than done, but you should be very happy and proud of yourself that you can walk 2 1/2 miles within 6 months post-surgery. Six months after my surgery was really the first time that I started to feel well again. I think the 2 1/2 miles is great. Have your pcp prescribed anti-depressants?

The ticking is, as others have said, quieter and less noticeable with time. Reading your thread a few minutes ago is the first time that I have heard my valve in the past week or so, even though I absolutely couldn't sleep on Sunday night. (I hate insomnia!!!). I just don't notice it any more.

Good luck and I hope the wave/sound machine helps you.

INRtest said:
Hayley,
It's easier said than done, but you should be very happy and proud of yourself that you can walk 2 1/2 miles within 6 months post-surgery. Six months after my surgery was really the first time that I started to feel well again. I think the 2 1/2 miles is great. Have your pcp prescribed anti-depressants?

The ticking is, as others have said, quieter and less noticeable with time. Reading your thread a few minutes ago is the first time that I have heard my valve in the past week or so, even though I absolutely couldn't sleep on Sunday night. (I hate insomnia!!!). I just don't notice it any more.

Good luck and I hope the wave/sound machine helps you.

I have posted this before, I hear my valve 95% of the time. I wish I was doing what you are 6 months out...I am 14 months and still cannot walk 2.5 miles. as my doctor told me when I thought it was over....."think about living and not dying".

This may not be to your liking but I have used the 'Tick' to get me to sleep.

When faced with a bout of insomnia what I do is get nice and comfy in bed, think of somewhere that you like and are completly relaxed in.

Then relax all your muscles, start at your feet and work up to the top of your head, you will definately hear your 'tick', now concentrate on slowing up the 'tick' when your in that relaxed zone.

In order to slow it, you must be relaxed and to be relaxed your heart rate will be slow, it does take a bit of practice but for me it works and I usually drop off in a couple of minutes.

In addition to the sound machine, you may want to try a little aromatheraphy. Get some lavender sachets and place them inside your pillow case. You will concentrate more in the aroma of the lavender which is quite soothing. Hope it helps and you can have a good night sleep

trying to get more zzzz's

trying to get more zzzz's

Ive had the sound machine for 2 nights now and yes it has helped. Thank you for that! My (awesome) physciatrist has tried a few different anti depressants (6 in all) with me but im hyper sensative to any type of med that causes ANY kind of rapid heart beat even in the slightest bit because Im so "IN TUNE" with the my heart beat to begin with. Its like a horrible nightmare and yes I should be grateful that I can walk 2 1/2 miles a day and yes I should be grateful that im alive and well all I can say is Im sorry .....I dont feel that way and the guilt I have because I DONT feel grateful is enough to do me in itself. I need to go on a year long vacation to Bora Bora then I will be okay. I just know that before I had this valve replacement I could manage in life and now my life is totally unmanageable to say the least. Its like I went in (for surgery) on June 24th 2005 and woke up in August without a clue. Enough already sorry to go on and on. Thank You for allowing me to vent...Im trying sooooo hard to see the brighter side...I pray, Im excersising, I read, I try to stay busy but geesh this is just a ride from hell and I hope it gets better cause Im getting so desperate.
tick tick tick tick tick
:eek:

Lisinopril

Lisinopril

This may sound odd but here goes. I have had a life long problem with insomnia. My open heart surgery (AVR), of course, only made this problem worse. Then my physician added a low dose of lisinopril to my meds (Coreg) for reasons other than sleep. I now sleep extremely well (for me) and sometimes actually sleep for eight hours straight. I also feel more relaxed and calm. I had a referral to a sleep clinic, but now will not need to go as long as he doesn't take my lisinopril away! Good luck to you in your continuing quest for sleep!

Hi Hayley-

Glad the sound machine helped some.

Reading your posts, it sounds as if you have been at sea for a long, long time, and now that you are in "port", you have to get your "land legs" again.

Please be very patient with yourself. It's been a huge change in your life, and no one expects you to be able to cope with it all at once.

Your body feels different, it sounds different, and in fact, it IS different. Better and fixed up, but none-the-less, different.

It's going to be a while until you feel comfortable in your new body. You've had a lifetime living as the old you. Now you have to get friendly with the new you.

You will, I guarantee. It will take quite a while, but one of these days you'll wake up and you will be friends with YOU.

Wishing you all ther best.

Hayley,
I'm hypersensitive to my heart as well. Before I had my surgery I was troubled with almost non-stop arrhythmia. I was assured that it was all benign and to not worry, but that was pretty tough when I could feel it constantly. I found that when I tried to fight the way I felt, the worse I felt, because my heart was going to do what it was going to do. I had to learn to relax and go with the flow. That sounds easy, but it was very hard. I did have some success with guided meditation and you may want to look into that.

Latest posts

Back