The Other Side of the Mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

Made it! Yahoo!

Surgery was Friday, July 6. Today is Tuesday, July 10, and we just figured out my wife's computer will work in our room.

It's hard to know where to start, except that you guys are such a blessing. And for the people that go home after 3 or 4 days, you are my newest heroes!

The incision paid is absolutely nothing to fear. The discomfort and not knowing what expect was the worst, and you helped with that.

I went under as soon as they got my IV hooked up and when I woke up, it was about 6 hours later--I need to check the time. My wife was with me, the tube was still in, but I never panicked. She made the wise decision to make our kids wait a few hours to see me--she said I looked pretty dead at first.

The first night was a blur. They gave me morphine, but I didn't sleep. ICU is noisy, bright and my neighbor was in a bad way. They cut off the morphine the next morning, which was about 12 hours after surgery finisihed.

Every day since has been better, although this is really only the morning of the 4th day. Weird complications occured because my body, like everyone's, is a unique gift from God. My aortic valve and the ascending aorta were replaced, but the surgeon ended up using a bovine vavle instead of the 1 piece shentless porcine valve and ascending aorta. I had him draw me a picture, but my understanding is that I have 2 kind of misplaced coronary arteries very close to the root. By preserving the root, he believes it will be easier next time, and yes, I knew going in there will be a next time if I live long enough. But all the bad parts are gone, replaced by bovine tissue and dacron.

I had a maze procedure done on Friday too, for a history of atrial fibriallation. As is typical with the procedure, I flipped into afib last night and got real discouraged. I''m still in afib, but it is probably my fault; I had talked to the surgeon about continuing the prophylactice afib meds I have been taking for a couple of years, and even brought them, but forgot them. He said it is expected and is going to put me back on the meds and wean me within a few months. The maze is about 95% effective.

I'll post more later. The irregular heart rate caused by the afib saps my energy even more, but I am pressing on.

See you guys later, and God bless each and every one of you!

John

Hi John, great to hear that you have made it over the mountain and hopefully when the a.fib is sorted it will be smooth sailing for you.

As I suffer with a.fib and V.T. I wondered what meds you took before your sugery to treat the a.fib, and did they work??

Best Wishes for an uneventful recovery !!

Yay! I'm so glad to see you posting!! :)

I had just emailed Pastor Saurman this a.m. to see how you are doing and he got back to me, so that put me at ease that you were ok! I was going to let you update the crew here!! How awesome that he was with you that morning, I wish I had called him to come with me :D

Rest, walk, drink! Take care and update when you can!

Yo John

Excellent! Glad to hear all is going well. Take it easy for a while.

You'll be back on the bike in no time.

I am definitely planning on doing the Pan Mass Challenge in 3+ weeks. I have about 300 miles so far on the road. My legs are still feeling pretty dead, but I'm riding. And so will you be!

Fast Eddie

Good to see you on this side!!!

Hang in there with the a-fib, boy do I remember that downside of my recovery well.

Baby steps for now, eat, sleep, walk...

Wishing you all the best,
Ruth

Welcome to this side of the mountain. Get plenty of eat, walk, and get plenty of rest. Pace your yourself as it's easy to over do it. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Hello John

Welcome to the other side----quite a heck of a trip, wasn't it!!! Just take one day at a time, rest, relax as much as possible, walk, and do that spirometer.....every day will get better from here on.

So glad you were able to post.

Evelyn

Hubby, Tyce, AVR 6/02 and he's never looked back.......

Hi John,
Bet you are glad the surgery is done. You sound so good and up lifting.
You will improve everyday. Your surgery went alot like mine and to this day I don't remember a whole lot in ICU. Just was so glad my family was there. I was so blessed too. Your like a new person and will feel better so quickly.
May God bless and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

So good to hear from you John. AFib is pretty common after this surgery so hopefully it will resolve itself soon. You sound terrific and we continue to wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery and a quick trip home!

Congratulations on a successful surgery! I was excited, too, when we realized that we had internet service in our room. We felt connect to the outside world.

I am about 11 weeks out and have been back to work for 2 weeks now. Listen to everyone when they say to take it slow! I am still only working until 2:30 so I can go home and take a nap. I'm feeling like the next week or two will mark the end of weekday naptime. :-( But Saturday and Sunday? You bet I'll be napping!

Congratulations again! The view from this side is awesome!

Lisa

That's wonderful news, John, I'm so glad to hear you made it to the other side! Each day gets better from here!

John don't blame yourself for the afib, it's nailed most of us after surgery anyhow. It's one of those, have to deal with it for now, things. Just do what you must and get outta that place and back with us! ;)

67walkon said:
I had a maze procedure done on Friday too, for a history of atrial fibriallation. As is typical with the procedure, I flipped into afib last night and got real discouraged. I''m still in afib, but it is probably my fault; I had talked to the surgeon about continuing the prophylactice afib meds I have been taking for a couple of years, and even brought them, but forgot them. He said it is expected and is going to put me back on the meds and wean me within a few months. The maze is about 95% effective.

I'll post more later. The irregular heart rate caused by the afib saps my energy even more, but I am pressing on.

See you guys later, and God bless each and every one of you!

John

I had the "ablation" at the same time as AVR. went into afib 3 weeks out. Had to be zapped:eek: All well ever since. Hang in there.

Tom

JOHN!

So COOL to see you posting! WELCOME to the "other side" ;).

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :)!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"The more things change the more they stay the same" ... Kenny Chesney ... 'Summertime'

THanks for all the encouragement!

Afib converted last night at about 5:30 PM. The surgeon and I had both expected it, but neither of us thought to get me back on my afib meds right away. I'm on them now and it's good again.

The shortness of breath has been the most suprising thing. I was in great shape going in, but now I can't walk 100 feet without stoping to take a little rest.

All the tubes and wires are out. None of that was unpleasant.

Tomorrow, baring a repeat of the afib, we are going home!

I'll have lots more time then to fill in any details!

John

John:

Glad you're over the mountain.

On the shortness of breath: I had that, too, but I also had it pre-op. You'll probably work through it pretty quickly, since you didn't have it pre-op.

Get lots of rest, walk as you have energy, and do your breathing exercises.

Latest posts

Back