The July Effect?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryka

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I just heard on TV that doctors often talk about the July effect as that month impacts the outcome of surgery. Supposedly July is the most dangerious month in which to have surgery because of the changes in staffing during that month? Of course, I would not bat an eye if I had to have emergency surgery in July, but I am facing hip replacement and might have contemplated doing it in July. Now I am wondering...

July is when the new residents come out of med school, I am sure docs go on more vacations and the nurses graduate from nursing school . If it is not a teaching hospital and your doc is there and on call during your stay, there should be continuity of knowledgeable care.

Debbie

July is when the new residents come out of med school, I am sure docs go on more vacations and the nurses graduate from nursing school . If it is not a teaching hospital and your doc is there and on call during your stay, there should be continuity of knowledgeable care.

Debbie

That's what I was going to say. In teaching hospitals, all the medical students, Interns, Residents, Fellows ect year ends in June . Sothere are new interns, Residents, Chiefs and Fellows in July. Not to mention the 4th of July Holiday MANY people are off and /or vacations. IF it lands in the middle of the week, both the week end before and after can have alot of temp nurses ect We TRY not to be in during July, but as you said sometimes it can' be avoided. Justin has been in in July (his last surgery was the beginning of June, but with complications another surgery ect, he ended up being here in the beginning of July. Many of the residents are returning, just moved up a year and Fellows already have years there as Residents or chief Resident, so for the most part,(in OUR experience) it wasn't much different then if you happen to be inpatient when it is time for the Residents switch services. Plus there are always Attending available if something is needed. I just try to keep an eye on things, but I do that no matter what time of year it is.

Last edited:
One of our family members suffered a life-threatening emergency one July, on vacation in another state. Coordinating the doctors' visits, when we finally came home for further treatment and testing and such, was very difficult because of so many doctors and related staff being on vacation, in August also. Even our primary care doctor was on vacation and his fill-in people didn't do things correctly for processing other referrals we needed and such. Not the best time to be in the hospital, I think. Insurance approval delays can occur also.

Yikes! I'm coming up on my 1 year anniv. in July. I never heard that but good to know for the future. Good luck with your hip replacement. I had that myself a year and a half before my OHS and I am grateful every day for the lack of pain that I have now.

Thanks for the encouragement about my hip. I really would like to move my right leg to the side without excruciating pain. (To be specific, I really would like to be able to dance again and to use a hoola-hoop with my grandchildren!)

Thanks for the encouragement about my hip. I really would like to move my right leg to the side without excruciating pain. (To be specific, I really would like to be able to dance again and to use a hoola-hoop with my grandchildren!)

You will. You'll be hurting for a while after, but once your past that, you'll be doing everything except running. Just remember, it does not move like your native joint. Walking up stairs kind of makes you waddle a bit like a duck, but outside of these two things, ENJOY LIFE WITH NO PAIN.

Latest posts

Back