The Great ER Visit(s) Of Ross

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross,

What dose of Coumadin do they have you on, to help bring it up? If you could have garlic, I would have said to eat that. Got any garlic pills? When my INR has been low, I have eaten a garlic chesse dip, and it worked for me. That and a couple of Miller Lite beers! We hope you see your INR going up soon!

I should be at least 2.0 tomorrow. Trying to stay away from the carnation until up therapeutic again.

Oh Ross, I hope you are doing better. The story read like something from Stephen King, a nightmare that just keeps unfolding.....I hope everything gets resolved soon, and you can start to recover.

Ann

Lovenox trouble maker?

Lovenox trouble maker?

Well folks, it appears that the Lovenox is trouble maker. I was told to stop Lovenox altogether and resume Coumadin only. Yes it's risky, but it's all I can do. Working on getting back in range quickly, but so quick as to seesaw afterwards. 1.6 today.
Ross, glad to hear you are getting better. How did Lovenox become the trouble maker? When and how much was given? Was it given as a bridge before your dental surgery? Be well, Marty

Ross, glad to hear you are getting better. How did Lovenox become the trouble maker? When and how much was given? Was it given as a bridge before your dental surgery? Be well, Marty

Marty I had one socket that was oozing from the get go. I called and reported it, but was told to go ahead and begin my after surgery bridge with Lovenox and resume my Coumadin. Mind you, this is 12 hours after surgery. Within 24 hours time, that socket bleeding became more like hemorrhaging then oozing. The Dental folks automatically blamed Coumadin which is ridiculous because my INR was 1.4 when the bleeding got heavy. Second time around, same exact thing. Home less then 48 hours and back in the ER with blood gushing out of my face. Now I'm 2.1 and no bleeding, but did NOT start lovenox bridge this time.

Bottom line is, if they'd of fixed the oozer to start with, none of this would have happened.

Oh yeah, you asked about dose. Whomever miscalculated the dose based on weight and gave me 80mg every 12 hours rather then the 100mg that is should have been.

Very interesting Ross. In my clinic many biopsies are done, mostly breast. These can bleed like crazy. However patients on warfarin are routinely placed on four to seven day hold. Almost no bridges with Lovenox. This worries me a little but so far we've never had a patient get in trouble holding. I wonder how you would have done with a simple four day hold?

Ross, glad to see your posts and you are HOME:)

Now you have to quit this........unbelieveable

You know from my experiences in bridging they've

all been disaterous for me or they take me off coumadin

and don't bridge,then overdose me with coumadin.

i blame it on medical staff not understanding how

to properally using these medications and bridging

techniques properally.

If we didn't advocate ourselves in an emergency:eek:

If we can't advocate in an emergency:eek:

I think my hubby is sooooo tired of me explaining these things to

him that i told him an exam is comming up and to make sure he can

advocate for me if i cannot.He:rolleyes:at me and says hes better

at all this than the professionals:D

Well hope you are resting while holding down this fort for everyone.

zipper2 (DEB)

Very interesting Ross. In my clinic many biopsies are done, mostly breast. These can bleed like crazy. However patients on warfarin are routinely placed on four to seven day hold. Almost no bridges with Lovenox. This worries me a little but so far we've never had a patient get in trouble holding. I wonder how you would have done with a simple four day hold?

Marty I only had a 3 day notice that I was having surgery. I freaked then, but anticipated such, so I had stopped the Coumadin and Aspirin before they told me. In other words, I put myself in a 4 day hold. Once they established contact with my Cardio, the order came down to begin lovenox when my INR fell below 2.0 in which it did about 24 before surgery. I had had only one injection 12 hours before.

There didn't seem to be a problem at this point. Yes the socket was oozing some, but it wasn't a river that I experienced after 2 more injections over the next 24 hours. After 24 hours and being sent home, then the river gusher started.

Second time around, same thing. Stitched up and stopped the bleeding. Started Lovenox and Coumadin, sent home and in less then 36 hours, back in the ER gushing again.

The third time around, they decided to use NO LOVENOX and just get me started back on the Coumadin, knowing it would take 3 or more days to get back in range. I'm now back therapeutic and no bleeding thus far though I have been restitched tighter then the titanic could ever have hoped to have been.

Yes there is that risk, but honestly, it's so small that it really should be considered. I don't like the thought of no protection for any length of time escpecially when I saw that I was clotting just fine, but not stopping the bleed. Developing clots was NO PROBLEM. Just no control of the bleeding. Now that I've experienced it, I'm beginning to think Lovenox should not be used when there is a bleeding risk involved.

Glad to see you back at the keyboard. I was praying for you.

Do me a favor. Never stop! Too many bad things have happened continuously since 1991. I almost feel like I've been singled out to be the bearer of all that's bad, but they I think of Yaps and Harrybaby. We all have had our share and it's tough for all of us.

dude, really sorry about the ordeal!

dude, really sorry about the ordeal!

but glad you made it through. we shouldn't have to fight for insurance like this, it's an abomination. let's hope Obama can get universal health care for us all. you've been a real help to me and I want you to know it means much to have your support.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back