The food you eat..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinW

Ok, not here to preach, everyone can decide for themselves what they eat BUT, I went to a lecture at the hospital on nutrition and the lastest findings/studies etc and wanted to share the info that I found out.

This lecture was bent towards matters of the heart ie Cardiac research.

It seems that's what is recommended (heavily now) is the diets of Italy/Scicily/Corsica where heart disease is a lot lower than that of English speaking nations and there is various reasons for this, it seems we eat way too much Dairy products like cheese/butter/full cream milk and we eat way too much take away type junk food, most of which is very high in saturated fat, Im talking your KFC, Maccas, Dominoes, anything deep fried (Fish n Chips) and another big culprit is the full English breakfast, this isnt really a surprise of course..

What we should be eating A LOT more of is the diets staple of the places mentioned and these are Fish (fresher the better), good quality Olive Oil, Tomatoes and tomato paste, fresh herbs like Basil, Rosemary & Oregano etc and literally bucket loads of Vegetables and fruit, Pasta & Rice should be wholemeal (not refined white type) ............we apparently should only eat red meat at the most twice a week, but replace it with Chicken or Pork (and especially Fish)
Get used to not putting salt on your meals as this immediately raises your blood pressure for an extended period.

As far as vitamin supplements are concerned, apparently they can do more harm than good as they are not natural and have been altered, if you want more Vit C, just eat more of the foods that contain it..
So there you go, if you want your arteries to stay clear and unblocked follow the above rules and you might avoid heart attacks and major surgery in the future.

Mediterranean Diet has long been recognized as a very good eating plan.
Pretty much what you have described.

Mediterranean Diet has long been recognized as a very good eating plan.

often when people consider diet, they ignore environment. If you live in a tropical or equitorial area then of course your energy needs are different to what you may need in a temperate zone. Naturally your activity plays a part in this too.

Food is not just fuel for energy (although it is that too)

:)

KW, your forgot the most important junk food that been the main culprit, potato chips, ice cream, sugared candy. Plus the ultimate that should be addressed, exercise, the most important , deterant for getting rid of weight. Weither it is walking, aorobics, rumba, etc. Exercise it the most important way to lose weight besides diet. To be active to get the pounds off. I went over the Christmas holidays and got myself a Wii. Been bowling mostly but last night, did sword fighting and working up a great sweat. Anything to get you moving is just as important as dieting.

Here is a summary of Mediterannean Diet from www.OldWayspt.org/resources/heritage

It is very similar to KevinW's OP.

•An abundance of food from plant sources, including fruits and vegetables, potatoes, breads and grains, beans, nuts, and seeds.
•Emphasis on a variety of minimally processed and, wherever possible, seasonally fresh and locally grown foods (which often maximizes the health-promoting micronutrient and antioxidant content of these foods).
•Olive oil as the principal fat, replacing other fats and oils (including butter and margarine).
•Total fat ranging from less than 25 percent to over 35 percent of energy, with saturated fat no more than 7 to 8 percent of energy (calories).
•Daily consumption of low to moderate amounts of cheese and yogurt (low-fat and non-fat versions may be preferable).
•Twice-weekly consumption of low to moderate amounts of fish and poultry (recent research suggests that fish be somewhat favored over poultry); up to 7 eggs per week (including those used in cooking and baking).
•Fresh fruit as the typical daily dessert; sweets with a significant amount of sugar (often as honey) and saturated fat consumed not more than a few times per week.
•Red meat a few times per month (recent research suggests that if red meat is eaten, its consumption should be limited to a maximum of 12 to 16 ounces [340 to 450 grams] per month; where the flavor is acceptable, lean versions may be preferable).
•Regular physical activity at a level which promotes a healthy weight, fitness and well-being.
•Moderate consumption of wine, normally with meals; about one to two glasses per day for men and one glass per day for women. From a contemporary public health perspective, wine should be considered optional and avoided when consumption would put the individual or others at risk.

This has long been a highly touted healthful diet particularly for cardiac wellness.

Here is a summary of Mediterannean Diet from www.OldWayspt.org/resources/heritage

This has long been a high touted healthful diet particularly for cardiac wellness.

I guess I should have made my point clearer. I am not saying that this is not a good diet (particularly for where we live). What I am saying is that if you live in Finland and work out doors then it won't have all of what you need. The studies done are done in areas where most people live, thus the environment in which the studies is done differs from the environment where some readers may actually live.

stuff like "An abundance of food from plant sources" ... "Emphasis on a variety of minimally processed and, wherever possible, seasonally fresh and locally grown foods" is not actually something unique to mediterranean diet. I have lived in places such as Japan and Korea where these things apply and are not actually mediterranean places (although they have their own endemic foods and food culture)

I however did not realise that there was a "Mediterranean Diet" rather than just what people ate who lived in the area known as the Mediterranean.

Lastly I have been in and around biochem for long enough to see books come and go touting things and supporting them with studies. I am (wisely IMO) skeptical of fads irrespective of how long its been in the media. We learn more every day about our metabolism and its real needs. Most of what we "KNOW" is often flawed in reality.

But like I said, seems like the basis of good eating especially for sedentary folk.

So, there are no vegetarians in Finland who do strenuous work outside in the cold of winter?
Vegans and Vegetarians in addition to those who eat other healthful diets surely get the nutrition they need, do they not?

Mediteranean is not a fad diet but I am sure that is easily recognized with even a casual reading.

Eat what you want, when you want and enjoy life ... I do not want to be on my death bed wishing I had had that steak, ice cream, corn-dog, pizza pie, eggs any style, fried chicken ....

Boy, did I mess up yesterday while watching the Super Bowl - veggie egg rolls (those things are LOADED with salt), one and a half beers and a chocolate cookie!

But....it was good and I had fun!;)

I also normally don't eat like that, I try really hard to follow a heart-healthy low salt - low sugar - vegetarian diet

Rachel

I guess I should have made my point clearer. I am not saying that this is not a good diet (particularly for where we live). What I am saying is that if you live in Finland and work out doors then it won't have all of what you need. The studies done are done in areas where most people live, thus the environment in which the studies is done differs from the environment where some readers may actually live.

stuff like "An abundance of food from plant sources" ... "Emphasis on a variety of minimally processed and, wherever possible, seasonally fresh and locally grown foods" is not actually something unique to mediterranean diet. I have lived in places such as Japan and Korea where these things apply and are not actually mediterranean places (although they have their own endemic foods and food culture)

I however did not realise that there was a "Mediterranean Diet" rather than just what people ate who lived in the area known as the Mediterranean.

Lastly I have been in and around biochem for long enough to see books come and go touting things and supporting them with studies. I am (wisely IMO) skeptical of fads irrespective of how long its been in the media. We learn more every day about our metabolism and its real needs. Most of what we "KNOW" is often flawed in reality.

But like I said, seems like the basis of good eating especially for sedentary folk.

I remembered this thread as I watched U.S. News reports this evening.
Seems there was a study underway of the Mediterranean Diet that was recently stopped as they discovered the results were amazing as to heart disease. They found those who followed Mediterranean Diet had 30% lower risk of heart disease/heart attacks. That diet has emphasis on fruit, vegetables, fish, olive oil, nuts, whole grains...... There seems to be no dissent as to how heart healthy that way of eating has proven to be.

Wow,
My post wasn't about you. It is about the Mediterranean Diet.
I have an interest in the Mediterranean Diet. The results of that study are so impressive, I thought it worth sharing what I heard on several of our news stations that they are finding this sensible way of eating so beneficial for heart health.

Cool down. This is a sharing and supportive site. Try to keep it that way.
It would be a shame for it to become so confrontational. We have enough stress in our lives and don't need it here. Everyone has their own struggles and challenges.

To keep it brief: Sugars and grains (wheat etc) cause inflammation of the arteries RAiSING cholesterol. It is NOT fat/exogenous cholesterol that raises cholesterol (unless one has specific problem). The best diet to lower blood pressure and stay healthy is low carb (less than 100g/day), moderate protein, and high fat. Most of your calories should come from fat. Ketosis is the most extreme form of this, and it's essentially trying to eat "no" carbs (only getting trace carbs in nuts etc), moderate protein, high fat.

The government recommendations are absolutely ridiculous and disgusting.

My cardio rehab class spent some time discussing the Mediterranean diet. The nutrionist used it as an example to show how "traditional" food is good. However we need to dig into the tradition, and not eat like rich people, meat and cheese at every meal, but eat more "poor" with legumes instead of meat and cheese as a condiment. She loved the diet, but encouraged us to eat Mediterranean at least two times a week. You can still eat steak on Friday :)

Latest posts

Back