That sunburned feeling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wryan

Today I'm 7 weeks post-op and on either side of my incision I have a burning sensation on my skin whenever I put a shirt on. It only happens when fabric very lightly rubs against the surface of my skin and extends out mostly on my right side about 4 inches. It is driving me up the wall.

I'm told it is the nerve endings trying to find their way after being disrupted. Does everyone get this sensation after surgery? If you have had this how long did this last? Any way to soothe it or ease the sensation? I'm trying to get an idea how long this will take to resolve itself. Will be going back to work in one week and am worried about having to deal with this issue then.

Thanks!

If you are talking about the feeling like you wanted to take a potato peeler to your skin ......yes I had that delight too.......no the peeler wont help............but a small topical cream did for me BUT most of these contain steroids so if you have any olympian tasks to fullfill dont try that either but do ask your phamacisit if the cream will play a role in any conflicting meds

I had all kinds of sensations around my incision for quite a few months after surgery, from a feeling of a hot poker stab to a burning and stretching feeling. It did get better with time. I hope yours does as well.

I have been using an analgesic creme from Walgreens that contains aloe. It has "trolamine salicylate 10%" but it doesn't bring much relief. I think I will ask the pharmacist for any suggestions. I do have an aloe vera plant growing in my back yard. Maybe I can try some of that directly.

Latest posts

Back