Thank you

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KarenS

Thank you to everyone for your reponses and I am glad I decided to "come on in" and join this great group. I have taken your messages to heart :) and continue to plan for my family during my recovery. Yes, it is VERY difficult to let others help and I have a hard time letting people in (remember, I was "peeking in" for a while).
I am meeting with the surgeon again this Thursday to discuss valve choice and set a date. I have meet with this same surgeon back in the summer (totally unprepared for that meeting) and hope to finalize things this week. I have read so many of your stories regarding choosing the right surgeon and really want to feel prepared for this visit.
So my question...How important is it that his 1st choice for valve type match with mine?? If he is a skilled doc, highly recommended-and willing to honor my requests, is that all there is to it?

Thank you again to all for your kind words and advice.
Karen

Karen,

I don't think it is important that your surgeon and you initially agree on valve choice as long as you both come out of the meeting in agreement. I am sure you will have lots of information and questions from reading on this site and I am sure a good surgeon will have his own information and experience. A good meeting of the minds that results in a decision of how to proceed is the best outcome for a sucessful surgery.

When I met with the surgeon who did my last OHS, I went in not sure of my valve choice since I had had some bad experiences with a recalled valve. This wonderful surgeon, who I had never met before, spent over 2 1/2 hours talking to me and my SO. He even cancelled a meeting he had scheduled because he felt our visit was so important. I came out of that meeting so pumped and so trusting of this surgeon that I am still almost teary today thinking about how great he was.

If you can come out of your meeting with a smile on your face, you will do well.

Karen,

I think a top flight surgeon will be open to valve choice if you appear educated, unless he sees compelling need for a particular type of valve.

If he argues strongly from the beginning for a particular valve (without first understanding your level of knowledge and any thoughts you have), I would strongly question him as to why. Then you have to evaluate whether his reasons are compelling.

Ultimately is should be your choice unless your reasoning is patently flawing or you show yourself to be completely uneducated regarding valve choice (which I don't think you will)...

I think it is important for him to ultimately agree that your selection of valve choice is reasonable given your medical situation.

David

Karen:
You sound very comfortable with decisions right now, and that's good.
Go with a surgeon who has a good track record and whom you are comfortable with. Ditto with the hospital.

My husband is facing MV surgery in the next couple of months. He's seen me through MVR and his dad through 2 MVRs, the second with AVR + aorta rebuilt + 4 bypasses. He's taking it very well so far.

Latest posts

Back