Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aunt Granny

What exactly is a TEE? Also what are some of the test that they will be running to determine the surgery? Does anyone have any idea how CORDS would play in a valve surger? I just found out that my brother has the hereiditary type of CORDS.

Also I am having a hard time getting back into the diet mode. We went on vacation to Galveston and did "OKAY", but it seems we both, (Tim and I) have lost our motivation. :( So keep us in your prayers. Ihave lost 24lbs, but I have a LONG way to go

I go back to the doctor in Novemeber. I am kinda concerned because I have been having been shorter of breath lately. And does anyone else SWEAT!!!!!:mad: I sweat like I have been playing football, just walking to the mail box and back. (That is NOT that far).

Hi-

A TEE is a transesophageal echocardiogram. A transducer is used to take a look at your heart through the esophagus. It gives a much clearer idea of what is going on in there. It's a short procedure, usually, and you will be on a twilight type of drug.

You might have a catheterization, chest x-ray, possible stress test, some people have an MRI, and lots of bloodwork. Probably forgot some of them.

The main reason you are sweating is because, medically, your body is under stress from your cardiac problems and from any pulmonary problems associated with them. My husband used to sweat profusely. His pillowcases were soaked every morning. Now that things are better, he hardly sweats at all.

Surgery will help with a lot of things you never thought were related.

This is a fun link that Yale Medical School put together that shows TEE pictures for all kinds of heart-related issues:

http://info.med.yale.edu/intmed/cardio/echo_atlas/contents/index.html

I think the link under mitral regurgitation even has TEE video - very cool!

As for cords, they can get stretched out over time, leading to an increase in prolapse and regugitation. During repair surgery, they can shorten these cords to their normal length.

Melissa

Melissa I have tons of links and that is one I didn't have. Your holding out me aren't ya.

Thanks for posting that one. It is nice! :D

CORDS

CORDS

I am not sure if I explained it correctly or not. My brother has chronic obstruction respitory decease. I don't know alot about it, except he has the kind that is genetic. Since I already have ashma I was wondering what kind of role this will play in my surgery? I am NOT very good when it comes to medical stuff. I have a feeling though that I better start getting better.

He should and better be seen by a Pulmonologist and have a full pulmonary function test before surgery is considered. I'm not going to sweetin this any, if he has lung problems you can almost expect to a have a longer recovery, meaning that he'll probably be on the vent a little longer then most others. Not necessarily, but I have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and I always have a tough time. :(

I don't mean to scare you. Us people with lung troubles usually have a harder time.

Joe has lung problems also, pulmonary hypertension. It was almost his undoing. Lung problems are nasty, no other way to say it. Probably worse than many heart problems.

Best to keep your lungs in good working order, and if there is any possibility of lung problems, have it checked out. Also don't keep the surgeon in the dark about the possibility. Have all your other doctors communicate with him.

Latest posts

Back