Testing Strips for Roche CoaguChek XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uni&Suki

Hi everyone,
Recently, I switched to INR self-testing at home using the Roche CoaguChek XS meter. At the USA, it is really a pain to have insurance coverage for testing strips for weekly testing. My new anticoagulation clinic requires me to get a new machine, even though it is the same machine that I own from Roche. It is just their "POLICY", aka, a professional way to reap money from my pocket. The deductible and coinsurance will be around 800$ for the new device, without mentioning the monthly fees for testing strips!!!! Where can I get legit testing strips for my CoaguChek XS meter online without waiting for the mercy of stupid insurance companies or ignorant medical providers! If anyone from the USA has tried getting testing strips online and they happen to be functional, please don't hesitate to share more details. The healthcare system at the USA can be very frustrating sometimes!!!!!!

Where can I get legit testing strips for my CoaguChek XS meter online
eBay

I'm Australian, but that is the consensus here. If you're in the East I recall there is a supplier there. (@Timmay ?)

There are no fakes, so all you need to worry about is the expiry dates.

PS in Australia I get nothing from health insurance, so all if it is out of pocket. Not expensive really, about $8per week including the amortised cost of my XS machine (I've had it for over 12 years now). At a test per week (and then some) it's nothing

Yup, what @pellicle said. In the US, Roche limits the sale of its strips to medical providers only. I’m a retired doc and even I can’t get them through my supply house without shipping to a commercial address. Stupid; but when you’re the single source of something, you can pretty much do what you want. So long as you’re “protecting the consumer from risk and harm”. I guess it’s OK with them to subject the rest of the world to this risk though…

Hey
In the US, Roche limits the sale of its strips to medical providers only
perhaps you know more, but I recall reading at some stage it was all about insurance companies, labs losing out and the "home grown" USA only Coag-Sense system. I've heard a few different views over time.

I'm sort of curious about it.

Thanks Tom. Good find. I’ll save the link for when I need more strips. If its still available; I can see a “cease and desist” request possibility in the future.
(Yeah, I tend to be a bit of a pessimist when it comes to corporate overreach.)

Hi everyone,
Recently, I switched to INR self-testing at home using the Roche CoaguChek XS meter. At the USA, it is really a pain to have insurance coverage for testing strips for weekly testing. My new anticoagulation clinic requires me to get a new machine, even though it is the same machine that I own from Roche. It is just their "POLICY", aka, a professional way to reap money from my pocket. The deductible and coinsurance will be around 800$ for the new device, without mentioning the monthly fees for testing strips!!!! Where can I get legit testing strips for my CoaguChek XS meter online without waiting for the mercy of stupid insurance companies or ignorant medical providers! If anyone from the USA has tried getting testing strips online and they happen to be functional, please don't hesitate to share more details. The healthcare system at the USA can be very frustrating sometimes!!!!!!
I’d get my strips from a company selfcaredepot.com. Reliable . I usually get them within 7 business days.
Hi everyone,

The provider my insurance company uses gives you the meter for free. You just pay for the strips. When I switched providers, the old one took back my original one and the new one gave me a new Coaguchek.

Some people on here order from this place and reported the prices and service are good: Roche Coaguchek XS PT Test PST Test Strips 24/Box - Exp. 12/2024 — Reliaston
yes, that's the one that Timmay uses ... thanks for the reminder, seeing it tweaked a memory

The provider my insurance company uses gives you the meter for free. You just pay for the strips. When I switched providers, the old one took back my original one and the new one gave me a new Coaguchek.

Some people on here order from this place and reported the prices and service are good: Roche Coaguchek XS PT Test PST Test Strips 24/Box - Exp. 12/2024 — Reliaston

I'm good for the rest of this year at least but am saving that link. Just wanted to say that checking it now it says "Sold out" (?). Was that a one time thing or will they be selling more (perhaps newer ones) eventually?

I've gotten most of my meters and strips on eBay. A while ago (and maybe still) a few sellers had CoaguChek XS meters for around $29. I bought a few - one was brand new (about six tests were run on it). These were missing the strip guide and battery cover, but were otherwise perfectly usable. I asked Roche for a new strip guide (but no battery cover - not really necessary), and they sent it right away. I used to get my strips on eBay - watch for expiration dates. So far, I haven't gotten any bad strips.

I used to use Coag-Sense (and I have some meters if you're interested in getting one), but strips aren't as easy to get). The results of CoagSense tests was always lower than CoaguChek. I wasn't sure which to fully trust.

But, again, I've gotten my XS on eBay from sellers who will take them back if there's a problem within 30 days. The meters are designed to last - medical devices HAVE to work. My strips came from U.S. based sellers, although the strips from foreign suppliers should be fine, too -- I haven't heard of a 'counterfeit' operation making XS strips - it's just not worth their trouble.

I'm good for the rest of this year at least but am saving that link. Just wanted to say that checking it now it says "Sold out" (?). Was that a one time thing or will they be selling more (perhaps newer ones) eventually?
I was able to purchase 48 test strips for 2024. Wondering if I purchased the last two bottles!! Send them a message.

I've gotten most of my meters and strips on eBay. A while ago (and maybe still) a few sellers had CoaguChek XS meters for around $29. I bought a few - one was brand new (about six tests were run on it). These were missing the strip guide and battery cover, but were otherwise perfectly usable. I asked Roche for a new strip guide (but no battery cover - not really necessary), and they sent it right away......

That reminds me, I was going to try one of those $29 specials as a backup after I bought my current meter on ebay in June for around $140 but never got around to it. I decided against buying one of the $29 deals as a primary meter because I was dissuaded to see quite a number of buyer feedbacks saying their $29 meter failed to work and that they had to get a replacement from the seller (which then did work). I needed a working meter asap since I had to return my previous one to the managed service & didn't want to deal with the hassle if one came that was a lemon and have to wait for a replacement.

Hmmm...checking now there are not any for sale at that pricepoint. I'll have to keep checking. Am willing to try one now for the backup piece of mind but no biggie, never had a problem with any I had in the past and the current one has been working OK fingers crossed anyways!

Latest posts

Back