Ten-year echocardiographic and clinical follow-up of aortic Carpentier-Edwards perica

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

http://ats.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/6/2010

Ann Thorac Surg 2002;74:2010-2015
© 2002 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original article: cardiovascular

Ten-year echocardiographic and clinical follow-up of aortic Carpentier-Edwards pericardial and supraannular prosthesis: a case-match study

Thierry Le Tourneau, MDa*, André Vincentelli, MDb, Georges Fayad, MDb, Christine Savoye, MDa, Olivier H. Fabre, MDb, Alain Prat, MDb, Henri Warembourg, MDb

a Department of Echocardiography, Hôpital Cardiologique, Centre Hospitalier Régional et Universitaire de Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
b Department of Cardiac Surgery, Hôpital Cardiologique, Centre Hôpitalier Régional et Universitaire de Lille, Lille, France

Accepted for publication July 12, 2002.

* Address reprint requests to Dr Le Tourneau, Department of Echocardiography, Hôpital Cardiologique, Boulevard du Professeur J. Leclerc, 59037 Lille Cedex, France.
e-mail: [email protected]

BACKGROUND: There are little comparative data on Carpentier-Edwards supraannular and pericardial second-generation bioprostheses. The aim of this work was to compare their hemodynamic and clinical outcomes in patients with aortic stenosis.

METHODS: We conducted a retrospective study including 150 patients operated on for aortic stenosis between 1989 and 1993. Patients undergoing aortic valve replacement with either a Carpentier-Edwards supraannular or pericardial prosthesis were matched for sex (49% male), age (72 ± 8 years), body surface area, valve size, associated procedures, and left ventricular ejection fraction.

RESULTS: Mean follow-up was 6.5 ± 3.3 years, giving a total follow-up of 983 patient-years. Thirty-day mortality and 10-year actuarial survival were, respectively, 8% and 51% in the supraannular group and 6.7% and 43.4% in the pericardial group. At 10 years, freedom from thromboembolism, structural failure, and all valve-related events were, respectively, 88.7%, 88.9%, and 68.7% in the supraannular group and 85%, 100%, and 82.2% in the pericardial group. There were four (5.3%) structural failures, and four (5.3%) reoperations for degeneration (n = 3) and endocarditis (n = 1) in the supraannular group. Freedom from structural dysfunction or reoperation was 87.3% in the supraannular group and 100% (p < 0.05) in the pericardial group. Echocardiographic review of 62 of 76 survivors (81.5%) demonstrated a trend toward a better hemodynamic profile of pericardial valves at the end of follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS: Ten years after aortic valve replacement for aortic stenosis, Carpentier-Edwards pericardial prostheses give comparable and probably better results than Carpentier-Edwards supraannular prostheses.

Ken- do you have the CE Perimount bovine valve? I am faced with a valve choice before my Nov. 3 AVR surgery, and think this valve may be the one for me. Anything you can share about your decsion to go with this valve, and/or how you are doing with it now would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob if you don't hear anything from Ken, click the profile button for him and send him an email. He doesn't come around very often. If you need help, just let me know.

OK thanks again for the advice. I just emailed him. As you can probably tell, I am not especially computer literate, so any tips on navigating around the site are welcome.

Regards

Valves

Valves

Bob,

Believe the CE Pericardial (in this case study) and CE Perimount are one and the same valve. I received this Bovine valve on 7/02/03. If you have any questions - email me and I will try to help. Your OP is Nov 3, you have time to make your decision. Take your time, the right choice (for you) will become apparent as you learn more.

Daniel, thanks for the responce. I guess I am looking for validation of my decision on this CE Perimount valve. I want a tissue valve to avoid coumadin, and as the above reference indicates, this valve seems to have good duribility statistics for a tissue valve.

How is it doing for you? I guess its a little early to tell, since I believe you had your surgery July 2003? Anything you can share about why you chose this valve, what your surgeon told you aboy it, and how its working out would be welcome.

Thanks again

Bob B.

Latest posts

Back