Temperature swings less now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matunucktuna

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am almost 5 weeks post op now and, as I mentioned before, had been plagued with my temperature rising and chills in the early evening. The first couple of evenings after being discharged the temp rose to about 101 then about 101.5 and on the 3rd day it rose to about 102. That's when they readmitted me for another fun week but they never did find a reason for the temps. After being discharged the second time, I started with the temperature rises again but they never rose above 101.4 and so I never called the hospital to report them. I noticed the temperature swings had been higher with increased exercise, but have now slowly gotten lower to a point where I'm not checking it anymore. This week I pushed myself on Wednesday and did a 9 mile walk at 3.0 mi/hr but found that I was almost of energy at about 7.5 so the last 1.5 miles were difficult. My temperature did go up about an hour after the walk but only about a degree. Has anyone had a similar problem with temperature rises following exercise?

Your body temp should (always) go up when you exercise. A degree or degree and a half is about what you can expect after some activities. Generally, we do not notice it, but if you do measure your temp, you will see it. There is plenty of data and explanation on the web why this happens.

My temp finally settled down at at about 4 weeks. The night sweats seem to stop and start. Last night was OK. We'll see how tonight is.

I forgot to mention that the "chills" in the evening were uncomfortable enough that I had to cover myself with a blanket. I was also getting the night sweats almost as though I had had a high fever that had "broken". It sounds like these are not altogether uncommon symptoms, but if so, why was the hospital so quick to readmit me after a minor spike of 102 degrees and keep me there for 5 more days? I would think they were used to seeing this temperature swing phenomenon.

I forgot to mention that the "chills" in the evening were uncomfortable enough that I had to cover myself with a blanket. I was also getting the night sweats almost as though I had had a high fever that had "broken". It sounds like these are not altogether uncommon symptoms, but if so, why was the hospital so quick to readmit me after a minor spike of 102 degrees and keep me there for 5 more days? I would think they were used to seeing this temperature swing phenomenon.

I think the concerne is is when you get over 100*. I was was bumping just under 100* and my general put me on some antibiotics. My surgeon didn't seem concerned at all. He said it's all part of the program and it will settle down.

I mentioned this in another place on this site. I had temp swings and the typical night sweats...all cleared up about two months after surgery. Advice for others who find their temp spiking at or over 101. My wife and I became concerned at 102 and 103 temps and the doc advice was get back to the hospital for a check. Two days of tests ruled out infection, something wrong with the BAV and AA fixes, and it ended up being Dressler's Syndrome. A couple of meds to take for a short time period and it cleared right up. 7% of the people post op for BAV and or AA get this? Lucky me. My advice is to read you body's signs and then compare that to what your research is. Example: Temp swings are normal after surgery but no adult should have a 103 temp.

Latest posts

Back