Tell me about your experience with TEE please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river-wear

Hi everyone,

I'm back! I've been lurking the last three weeks after my cardiologist told me it's time. When I first saw him four years ago, my EF was a robust 67%. Last year it was down to 55% and now I'm at just 46%. I met with a surgeon on Tuesday, and he compared it to running on just 6 cylinders instead of 8. I have been quite tired the last couple of months, and in December was absolutely convinced I just needed an increase in my thyroid medicine. (I didn't.) Honestly, I still don't know for sure if I have any symptoms or not. I still work out on my elliptical without problems and hike the hills on the weekend. Now I'm trying to do it more just to make sure I'm as fit as possible for surgery.

Unfortunately when I saw the surgeon on Tuesday, he didn't have a CD of my latest echo because of computer problem at my cardiologist. He looked at the 2013 report and couldn't see the aortic valve very well at all. He said the best approach would be to get a better look by doing a TEE if I was agreeable. As much as I dread the idea, I think it's the right thing to do and will go ahead. I'm certainly not comfortable proceeding without a second look to make sure it really is time to fix the valve. I've been through this once before (in terms of being told I need surgery and the test results being inaccurate). He also said that with a good look at my valve, he will be able to determine whether a repair might be possible. I never believed that could be an option, so it would be cool.

Does anyone want to share their experience with a TEE? Was it hard to swallow that thing without gagging? Did your throat hurt for awhile afterward? Are you so drugged you have to take the whole day off from work?

I was knocked out, whatever drug keeps you just alert enough to be able to swallow the thing but you have no memory afterwards. I had three TEEs in a month and I don't remember a thing, except my friends laughing at me when I 'woke up' because the drug also affects your short term memory for a little while. I asked 'what time is it?' so often that even my friend with a three year old got sick of answering. :)

TEEs give them a really good look at the valve, so it's definitely worth it if the echo isn't conclusive.

Hi Michele, I've had 3 TEE's due to endocarditis. They were looking for vegetation on the valves. The 1st one was great, I was out and don't remember it. The 2nd one was not so good, the resident didn't want me to be out all the way and it felt like a wooden spoon handle was poking me from the inside. When I tried to point to the area the nurse held my hands down. But, for my 3rd, I told the doctor I wanted to be less awake than more awake and he made it so. He doesn't like to knock people out all the way, but I was in a dreamlike state. They spray your throat with a numbing agent and it really works. But, it's kinda gross when they are spraying it, like major pop rocks. So, when the camera is placed down your throat, you can't even feel it. I was laying on my side when it was placed and I don't even remember feeling stressed about it. She said I would drool a lot but don't remember that at all

Hi Michele,

My TEE experience (only once) has been ok, wasn't totally out but sort of drugged. The worst part is when they put the spray. I think it's really good you are getting the TEE.

I seem to be more "symptomatic" than you are at this point,yet my doctor is still not sending me to a surgeon. I have trouble with uphill, and I've had a few flutters after exertion. My LA is slightly dilated, so I am taking Aspirin due to risk of Afib. Still hoping I have a few years, but I must say, I feel quite wiped out.

All the best with everything.

Nupur

P.S> Hi Gail, how are you doing? Hope everything is going well.

Oh yeah, the spray! I also had to gargle some horrible tasting stuff. Just ask what their procedure is and how far 'out' you will be - and if you're still too awake for your liking you can certainly ask for more drugs :)

I've had one TEE and to be honest, I was quite scared before. First I got this spray which doesn't taste that good. They should develop one with strawberry flavor... Afterwards I was given something that made me very sleepy, while still being aware. I remember being told to swallow and breath now and then. I was totally relaxed and didn't feel anything unpleasant. In fact, I've seldom been so relaxed and calm as during the TEE. They must have given me a fantastic cocktail of medications. I would do it again anytime.
My throat didn't hurt afterwards. Since the TEE was in the afternoon, I didn't go back to work that day. Due to the sedation your not supposed to drive a car or work on machines that day.

I had my last TEE a couple of years ago when my echo showed some sort of growth on my mechanical valve that they thought might be a clot or vegetation. Like most others have reported, they spray your throat with foul-tasting stuff and I really don't remember much after being asked to lay on my side. The sedative does seem to temporarily impact short-term memory so I was told not to drive, cook, sign legal documents etc. for the day.

Not the worst thing ever - you should be really out of it - but worth it for the good view they get. Luckily, my echo was a false alarm because nothing abnormal turned up on the TEE.

Best of luck with it. Cheers!

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback! I feel a little better about it. I love your quote, Duffey.

I'll be sure it report back after I have it done. It'll probably be in a few weeks. I will also feel better getting a second look before moving along to surgery!

My TEE experience was just fine.
Like most others, I was nervous but it turned out to be totally painless for me and I barely remember little of it.
I think one of the drugs they administer is versed which is an amnesiac drug. I recall the nurse saying they would give me a little something to relax me and I suggested they give me a lot to relax me. We both laughed and I remember little after that.

I had no sore throat but was told to rest for the afternoon and not drive, cook or use machinery until the next morning.

I'd agree with some of the other posters here...the worst part was the preparation. the numbing spray tasted awful, but other than that, I don't remember a whole lot of the rest...More data for your doctors is better!

Still waiting to get scheduled with my cardiologist... I don't know what's taking them so long to get back to me!

The waiting and uncertainty stinks. Then I'll want to keep waiting when the time comes! :p

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check in and relate my experience for anyone else it might help later. My TEE was yesterday, and yes, I survived! Honestly, it wasn't that bad, just like you guys said. The throat numbing stuff was unpleasant, but even that wasn't as horrible as I expected. They squeezed in some chemical-tasting lidocaine gel (twice) that I gagged on (twice), and then sprayed in some vaguely banana-chemical stuff. After that it was even hard to talk because my throat was so numb.

We hit a speed bump getting the IV set up (first stick in the wrist hit a nerve and made my poor thumb SING - ouch!) and then the fentanyl did its magic. I was aware of my surroundings but don't remember the tube going in. The best part was being able to take a two hour nap after I got home. I was in the hospital about 3-3.5 hours total. About 15 minutes of that was the actual test. Lots of paperwork, waiting and prep. Then waiting for the DVD to take home. Afterward, I had a pretty sore throat (good excuse for a chocolate malt). By this morning it was very minor and it disappeared once I had some breakfast.

Everyone at Sequoia Hospital was so nice, they really put me at ease.

It looks like I'm just across the borderline to the bad side for EF and LV dimensions. I'll be going back to see Dr. Castro to review the results soon.

Good luck Michele!! I had an attempted TEE and I vaguely remember it. My BP went down very fast and they had to stop the procedure. Glad I was in a hospital setting.
Rick

Had no problem with mine!!! The spray was not terrible, it did not hurt, the sedative was mild and the nurses were pretty .... Don't worry .... :thumbup:

Yes the worst part is the spray indeed.. And you will feel a bit uncomfortable but it will be over in no time! Relax..
Wish you all the best!!

Back