Tattoos and Warafin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only one comment I'll chime in with on the spelling side discussion. If you're going to get a tattoo of it, you likely want it spelled correctly. Mispelled or mistranslated tattoo's are the worst. Should be thankful Protimenow pointed it out.

*up, up, and away......*

Protimenow, I experience large red areas after shaving, mainly when I let my beard grow out more then usual. One time it was so bad I refused to go anywhere for 3 days.

Tattoo wise it sounds like people are hitting or missing. I was told I didn't have to take antibiotics. Also that was the only concern with tattoos was the bleeding messing with the ink. However I will say since being on WARFARIN I have yet to bleed more then I feel I normally would when cut, or bruise as easily. Is there a certain range where one bleeds more then the other, if that makes sense? Like if I'm suppose to be between 2.5-3.5 am I more likely not to bleed as much as say someone who is suppose to be in a 4-5 range or so? I'm kind of confusing myself asking that but it has me intrigued.

Yes, it's intriguing. What INR is supposed to relate to is the normal clotting time. So, if a particular incision would take 20 seconds to clot if your INR is 1.0, it'll take 40 seconds to clot with an INR of 2.0, and a minute to clot with an INR of 3.0 (and so on).

In the past, I've seen medical professionals begin to get concerned with INRs of 4 and above. They'll order lab work to verify that the meter is correct. They'll tell you to be especially careful. As the INRs continue to rise, the possibility of internal bleeding also increases. (I once had an INR of 7.1 -- the doctor told me to skip a dose and be EXTREMELY careful).

In my own experience, my incisions seem to close at what seems to be the same speed regardless of whether my INR is 2.0 or 3.5. Small wounds close pretty quickly, regardless of your INR.

(Is it possible that the redness on your face after shaving was some kind of allergy, or the result of a not so sharp razor?)

As for warfarin causing ink to blur, the very fine lined thumbprint at the base of my neck suggests otherwise.

Chiming in a bit late on this discussion, but it's something I've been thinking about lately, sort of a fun "medic-alert" tattoo. I like the idea of a cartoony dead rat on my inside forearm, complete with "x"d out eye(s) and maybe even holding a lily on his chest. My big issue is that it is hard to find anyone with firsthand experience. Even my anticoag pharmacist can only recommend against it because she heard it might heal unevenly and be "lumpy" or blurry.

So, it's nice to see on here that some have had a good experience. Anyone out there have trouble or problems to report? Recommendations for artists or shops in the Denver area?

Thank you, I love you all for being there and sharing.

Clay

ASD repair at age 10, Deborah Heart and Lung.
AVR with ATS Open Pivot, 9/21/12, St. Joseph, Denver.

47 years old and still ticking (except for the PVC missed beats).

deadrat.jpg

Latest posts

Back