Tattoos and Warafin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ovie

I know this will only cater to a small percentage on the site, but today I asked my tattoo guy about getting tattoos on warafin and if the excess bleeding would be an issue, he told me I'm screwed and can no longer get them, has anyone here or that you know gone on to get tattoos while being on Warafin? I'm going to be broken hearted if I really can't get more. Just another thing on the list I can't do because of surgery.

Thanks..

Hey Ovie,
I've had three pieces since starting anti-coagulation, from three different artists. Each of them said that I didn't bleed more than anyone else. The first was a 'medic-alert' symbol on my wrist, with the word 'warfarin' on the inverse, since I ruin all jewelry, and my docs thought I should have a bracelet. Since then, I've also had a piece which covers most of my left pec, (the pain when the needle gets close to the scar was pretty intense for me, worse than near the nipple by far!) and another small one on my right. I have at least three more planned.
If your regular artist won't work on you when you're anti-coagulated, ask around. I had three different, well known and respected artists agree without issue. You need to consider one thing though. For you, the consequences of an infection can be quite serious. Tattoo artists generally follow rules of sterile practise, but some are better than others. It would be pretty awful to end up with bacterial endocarditis for a tattoo.
Do you have something planned to commemorate your new valve?

Paul

Well I'm looking to sleeve up, got some pieces already and would like to pay a tribute to my surgery. That medic alert tattoo is absolutely genius, I have the same problem and worry something may happen and nobody would know about Warafin, this is good news. May I ask what your range is for INR?

I don't mean to insult or to cause a string of insults aimed at me (as has happened in the past, when I've pointed out errors), but it's Warfarin, not Warafin. Just FYI.

Also -- the role of the anticoagulant is not to make you bleed profusely. The INR is, approximately, an estimate of the increase amount of time it would take for your blood to clot, compared to normal levels. Thus, an INR of 2.5 means that it will (should) take 2.5 times as long for blood to clot than it would normally. Never having been tattood (and planning to never have a tattoo), I'm guessing that if each poke of a needle causes a bleed that takes 3 seconds to clot, with an INR of 2.5, the needle poke will take 7.5 seconds. This doesn't sound all that significant to me - but may scare a tattoo 'artist' who isn't used to seeing more bleeding than expected. You certainly won't bleed to death if you get a tattoo.

Tattoos and Warafin

During my follow up appointment with my surgeon he told me I had absolutely no restrictions. To make his point he was listing about 100 crazy things People do, skydiving, scuba, marathons, etc, etc. (NOTE: Because I had a repair, I am not on Warfarin). I asked, "How about a tattoo?" And he told me, "absolutely NOT" due to the risk of infection. Of course this was just his opinion and would be my decision if I wanted to risk it.

a tattoo?" And he told me, "absolutely NOT" due to the risk of infection. Of course this was just his opinion and would be my decision if I wanted to risk it.

Well if you took it the same way as a dental extraction and had antibiotic cover you'd be pretty safe. Swab skin with alcohol prior to tattoo and can't see any enormous risk there.

Not that I think much of tattoos but then that's my opinion on lifestyle, round these parts tattoo and a demographic I don't share anything in common with go together

I don't mean to insult or to cause a string of insults aimed at me (as has happened in the past, when I've pointed out errors), but it's Warfarin, not Warafin. Just FYI.

Also -- the role of the anticoagulant is not to make you bleed profusely. The INR is, approximately, an estimate of the increase amount of time it would take for your blood to clot, compared to normal levels. Thus, an INR of 2.5 means that it will (should) take 2.5 times as long for blood to clot than it would normally. Never having been tattood (and planning to never have a tattoo), I'm guessing that if each poke of a needle causes a bleed that takes 3 seconds to clot, with an INR of 2.5, the needle poke will take 7.5 seconds. This doesn't sound all that significant to me - but may scare a tattoo 'artist' who isn't used to seeing more bleeding than expected. You certainly won't bleed to death if you get a tattoo.

It sounds to me that you take the spelling of "Warfarin" very seriously, so to that I guess i say sorry? I could continue on with words but ill refrain from the wise ass grammar corrections for now.

As far as I'm told, I know this guy very well, he tattooed a guy who was on "Warfarin" and I guess the art just came out not so great due to bleeding. Also infection is a very minor risk these days if you really research your shop, if you go to some hole in the wall or place where amateurs are trying to be cool, then yes..that's an issue. However this guy's shop is a well known place in the states. He too said try something small and see how it goes, so that's what I'm going to do. Just looking for answers to those that don't mind that life style and have experience or insight into that world and "Warfarin". Thank you to the select few that contributed.

Hi Ovie,

The thing I would look into regarding a tattoo is the stability of the colors.
I have heard that the ink colors do not take as well if you are on Warfarin.

Good thinking with the Medic alert tatt.
In my case, I just figure I already wear a large enough alert, that being the scar running down my chest.
But I do also have a nice gold medallion med alert piece I wear around my neck too.

Rob

Yes, Ovie, I take spelling seriously--especially for medications. In my mind, I can picture a situation where you have to tell a medical professional what medications you take -- they'll probably know warfarin, but warafin may throw them off a bit.

Since my stroke last year, I seem to be even more concerned about spelling and grammar - it may be how my brain rewired itself - so things like misspelled medication names may be getting my attention even more than they used to.

---

I've never had a tattoo -- and probably never will, but the medic-alert sounds like an interesting idea. The scar down my chest, plus faint clicking SHOULD be enough to let people know that I take Coumadin/warfarin, but a pendant or bracelet are probably a lot more direct -- if people actually take the time to read the darned things.

I've always pronounced it Warafin at the doctors office and ER. If a nurse or doctor can't put the 2 together than you're most likely not on the presence of a physician. Ill probably continue to pronounce it that way because its habit. However I usually start off by saying Coumadin.

I've always pronounced it Warafin at the doctors office and ER. If a nurse or doctor can't put the 2 together than you're most likely not on the presence of a physician. Coumadin.

Don't get hung up about it, here in Australia pronounce February as Feb-you-ary (although you being American will probably sound nothing like what we say when we say that)

:)

Yes, Ovie, I take spelling seriously--especially for medications. In my mind, I can picture a situation where you have to tell a medical professional what medications you take -- they'll probably know warfarin, but warafin may throw them off a bit.

Probably a touch of something akin to OCD.

I can't think of anything remotely close to it so its not like one would get a life threatening change from it.

:)

Tattoos and Warfarin

Tattoos and Warfarin

Wanted to chime in on this conversation.I had AVR almost 7 years ago and had several tattoos beforehand. In the past couple of years I have acquired two more. I went for my INR check and made sure I was at the lower end of my range and then proceeded to get each tattoo at different times. I have a large one from side to side on my lower back and then a smaller one on my right leg.The tattoo artist was well versed with people on this medication,having someone in his family on it and he did a really good job with both.Had no infections or bad looking results. Wouldn't recommend for everyone unless you find someone knowledgeable about your medication.Carla. And at some point in time,I will consider getting a couple more!

No, probably not a life threatening change -- but perhaps a bit of confusion by the medical professional. (Of course, I suspect that medical professionals are hearing medication names mispronounced all the time. Maybe it is a bit of OCD -- but as a writer/editor, I like to see (and hear) things done accurately, logically, and correctly. There is SO MUCH STUFF out there that is just plain awful that spelling Warfarin Warafin pales in comparison. Still, it caught my attention).

I know this will only cater to a small percentage on the site, but today I asked my tattoo guy about getting tattoos on warafin and if the excess bleeding would be an issue, he told me I'm screwed and can no longer get them, has anyone here or that you know gone on to get tattoos while being on Warafin? I'm going to be broken hearted if I really can't get more. Just another thing on the list I can't do because of surgery.

Thanks..

I had my eyebrows tattooed. Took antibiotics before and after, as per my Cardio's recommendation. I was fine. My tattoo was a light one, unlike majority, and done with natural dyes.

As Rob mentioned, the color did not come out as exact as it was supposed to be, but I am OK with it.

Interesting to read that people have done fine with a tattoo. I also wonder about cosmetic surgery, not that I could afford it, but to have "age spots" removed on warfarin, or other such facial things. I know when I get just a small cut, the first day it's fine, then it starts bleeding for another 2-3 days, the scab gets larger than I ever would think from a small wound. Also, getting another hole in my pierced ear, what would the healing time be? So, I know for me, warfarin makes a difference in healing time. Of course, I wouldn't get one cause I've already had endocarditis, and don't want to risk that again by getting a tat. How about a personalized license plate, with a heart on it? That's what I did, no bleeding involved!!

I've been okay on Warfarin - mostly. Dental work is usually not much of a problem (although one extraction a few years ago bled for an hour or more). I've even had sinus surgery without incident (but I probably stopped warfarin a few days earlier).

The other day, I shaved with a new blade -- and probably too close. I got a few big red bloody areas that look pretty awful. Usually shaving nicks don't really show up, and the nicks close up pretty quickly. I was a bit concerned that my INR was too high, resulting in excessive bleeding. The CoaguChek XS gave me a 3.1 -- not high enough to really worry about it.

I'll do my weekly test (I test on Fridays), using the XS and the Coag-Sense and see what they tell me. (I may also do my InRatio -- I have more strips than I will probably use)

I'm wondering if anyone else has wound up with big red areas after shaving.
(Gail - I'm not asking you....)

My doctor told me it wasn't the bleeding to death that would be the problem, but that the bleeding may well smudge the ink, and I would end up with a blob instead of a dragon !

Back