Taken off Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilldreamin

I went to see my family doctor today. I had missed work yesterday... too tired and I know my focus is off. I just can't keep up, and when I get home I'm so exhausted I just want to fall onto the couch and sleep. I have a heavy workload with no help, and I need to be focused, which I'm not. My boss saw me this morning and told me to go see my doctor to see if I should go off for a while... he said I'm not looking well.
So she took me off work at least until I see the cardiologist at the hospital next week... when they'll presumably be setting up my cath and appointment with the surgeon. We'll see what he says after that appointment.
What has everyone else's experience been with work? How many of you had to take time before the surgery? How many were so tired and exhausted all the time, and finding it hard to think past the palpitations, chest pains, and SOB?
My doctor also doesn't want me doing anything that would get my heart rate up... so anything more than a walk to the corner is out. Shovelling this damn snow is a no no... thank goodness for my daughter! and friends! And she even mentioned the "S" word... (no sex!) not that i have the inclination, energy, or other party for that! I know its a bit taboo, but has everyone else been restricted from doing so much? Again, not that I have the energy... it just worries me a bit to be told not to.....

thanks again for your thoughts!

Jen

I stopped working 3 months before surgery, it was a sweltering hot summer and I was safer in my cool house. And then I was forbidden to drive my car in the last few weeks before my date. I was having lots of trouble, and lots of symptoms. Don't risk yourself, it's just not worth it.

I was forbidden to lift anything heavier than 5lbs, to stop bicycling (walking was OK), and not to strain myself - if I had to hold my breath, or grunt, it was deemed too strenuous. So, no lawnmower, no digging gardens, no heavy wet laundry etc. And I was asymptomatic!

yeah, i forgot the constant yawning.... thought that was just because i'm so exhausted... i don't think i've ever yawned so much in my life!
so quite a few of us....
how long before you all when back to work?

Jen,it likely is the best choice right now for you to be off

I was removed off work at the police station,i work in cells and

after my cath and tee my surgeon came in and said to me your done work

till the surgery is complete,oh of course i was quietly upset,as i luv my

job and i enjoy travelling sometimes 5 days a week i was on the road.

my gradient and peak are bad and my congestive heart failure has

provided me with swollen legs to my knees and breathing with any caused

exertion ...stairs,vacuuming,wet laundry,just showers are sooo exerting.

so ive been off work since sept 22nd i still go and visit and get lots of

hugs if they see me out and about. I do miss my job though and i have

fear my doc maynot allow me to return period due to other reasons he

already brought up to me at test time,and so here i sit unable even if

i wanted to work i just can't right now:(

Our health is more important but waiting is killing me in more than one way

so to speak,i want my surgery over with and should have been long in

october,but here in Canada you wait for a bed less an emergency comes

up and i'm ambulanced and then who knows ,they'd stabilize me and i'd

be waiting there for an opening for the O.R. room for how long?:eek:

i too am very,very stubborn and the first time surgery 16 years ago will

i was in denial and ignored all of it till i dropped,this time i've learned with

age and experience to not deny,but i am a very stubborn person and at

least i do stay close touch with my family doctor regarding swelling and

symptoms and continue to patiently as sick may come to wait my turn

But presently off work Surgeons orders. And sex i am so tired all the time

and the exertion is too much half the time i'm sleeping sitting up so i can

breath let alone lose my breath on top of no breath okay enough detail now and i will save the rest:D:D:p

Just rest up and you willnot regret it for when your surgery happens.

zipper2 (DEB)

hiya..........just take it easy you will have plenty of time after your operation to run marathons lol,, like most on here i was told to slow down before op,its a bugbear but do what the doc orders, .......neil

I was a asymptomatic so wasn't feeling any problems. However, once diagnosed, even though I was feeling fine, I was told to take it easy and not exert as a precaution. I was able go to work (office job) right up to the Friday before my surgery (the following Monday). However keep in mind that everyone is different. Listen to your body (before surgery and during recovery). It will tell you when it's had enough.

yeah, i forgot the constant yawning.... thought that was just because i'm so exhausted... i don't think i've ever yawned so much in my life!
so quite a few of us....
how long before you all when back to work?

I think the yawning is an attempt to get more oxygen into the bloodstream. But don't quote me on it; I do have M.D. in my name, but they're only my first 2 initials, not after my name. ;)

My surgery was on 6/24/03. I went back to work half-time about 7 weeks out and full-time 4 weeks after that. It was a real transition each time, adjusting to less time to rest during the afternoon, having to be back on a timed, hectic schedule. It's one thing to be able to do things while recovering -- but that's at your own pace, not rushing to get ready for work, waking up earlier than during recovery, dressing, eating breakfast (I'm a stickler on breakfast), driving to work, parking your car, working, driving home, running errands on the way home, fixing dinner/grabbing a bite, doing household chores, etc., etc.

My job definitely requires mental focus and when I found out about my valve I was pretty well distracted. Within a week of diagnosis I had surgery scheduled so I didn't have alot of time to noodle on any of it, thankfully.

I went on disability about a week before the surgery and was back to work about 5 weeks post-op. Honestly I should have waited probably one more week, that first week was kinda dicey but I was stir crazy AND our organization was in the midst of being re-organized and I wanted to be sure to have my say in how things were being changed.

Follow your doc's advice about your activity level. You know you have an issue, no reason to roll the dice and do things that can put any additional strain on the valve. I was the same way, wouldn't even walk the dogs. Winston is 110 pounds and does cartwheels when he sees a critter or a small dog and I remember one instance where trying to drag him away from another dog gave me some moderate chest pain. I didn't even know I had an issue at that point so I consider myself pretty fortunate.

I never made the connection of my OHS to yawning. But now that I think about it I did do that alot pre-surgery and don't do that nearly as much anymore. Thats interesting !

The vagus nerve plays a part in our heartbeat and breathing. That's why when you have your echo, the tech will ask you to sniff sharply; this causes the heart to still for just long enough to get an image of your valve either opened or closed. It's also why we cough, our heart beats are very tightly tied to that neural response and even a slightly altered cardiac electrical pattern can disrupt some of these (seeming) autonomous functions.

Hi!
I don't have BAV, but I did have mitral valve repair two years ago. I was going along just fine in my daily routine despite an increasingly regurgitant valve and did not expect to have surgery until I was in my 50s....and then BAM! Here I was at age 30, in the middle of lunch at work, and I felt as if an elephant decided to sit on my chest. I was rushed to the local ER. My boss told me I couldn't come back to work until I saw my cardiologist, and my cardio, after a quick look at my echo, told me I couldn't go back to work until my surgery. As a teacher, that meant: Whooo-hoo! An early summer vacation! This was April; I didn't return until the beginning of the next school year in September. (In between all that, I had surgery in June).

It was best for me to take a medical leave anyway as right after that episode in April, I was going downhill fast. I could barely walk down the hall of my home wihout feeling as if I'd just run a marathon. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with teaching five classes a day in the shape I was in. I rested a lot, and spent a lot of time with my mom (which I am grateful for as she was dying of cancer the following summer).

I was glad for the time off, but I sure did miss my students! Still, I am glad my cardio took my symptoms seriously and put me on medical leave. I feel I was better prepared for my surgery that way.

Best to you,
Debi (debster913)

Latest posts

Back