Symptoms other questions Hep C

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2legs

Well after listening to you and my wife and others I have decided not to wait till Labor Day. That was a decision I kind of pushed for so I could go RVing. I am going to call Monday to get in to my cardiologist and start getting it set up. I don't know how long it takes before they actually do it. I know I have to have the up the groin test whatever that is called. Also do any of you have Hep C? I am an asymptomatic carrier of Hep C. Evidently from a blood transfusion early on. I do know that my WBC count is always high. Also every time I have surgery I have had to have blood. I am going to get a copy of my last echo so I can share the results. I am sure you all understand when I say I am scared. I have had a lot of surgeries but this scares me the most. Plus I am a double below knee amputee so my walking is a little harder. I get around pretty good though.
Did you all have symptoms such as sweats and pale complexion. I sweat profusely when I first go to sleep. How about low blood pressure 110/50 high pulse 90+. I will get back as I find out more. Thanks for the help.:confused::confused:

Pat (2legs)

Hi Pat. Most of us have varying levels of "symptoms" before we need surgery. Mine came on so very gradually that I didn't realize
my breathing problems and odd dizzy spells were to be taken seriously....until the new pain in my sternum got my attention. Don't wait
that long ;-) My BP was also very good the whole time I had the other troubles.

Echo results are slightly variable depending on the tech, their skill, and the interpretation of the results.
When I finally had a heart cath through the groin, the damage was obvious, and surgery was 12 days later.
I stalled too long. Best to get it done sooner :)

Hi Pat,
It's probably a good idea you have decided to go ahead with the surgery at the schedule your doctors recommend.
Many of us hoped for the procrastination to do things we wanted prior to the surgery but the fact is the healthier and stronger you are going in, it can make a difference on how well we do during recovery. Of course, the goal is the smoothest recovery possible.

And yes, we all understand about the fear. I don't know anyone who faced OHS who didn't have some fear. You'll get a grip on it as you progress through the process. If you find you are struggling with it, ask one of your doctors for anti-anxiety meds. These are the sort of circumstances for which those medications are intended.

As to the Hep C. I'm sorry I have no knowledge except it is very common and surely the surgeons deal with it all the time and know how to keep you safe.

Let us know how you are doing.
We'll help you along the journey in any way we are able. :)

H, it sounds like a good idea to have the surgery sooner. I know you didn ask, and i dont know aything about how you get around and how much you use your arms for that, but have you discussed any recovery issues that might make it harder because of your legs, and the restriction everyone has w/ lifting ect after OHS. or any special arrangements they might reccomend, such as a hover lift in ICU or the the floor, or short term rehab etc. There have been a few members here over the years with problems either needing crutches or wheelchairs to get around I don't know if any of that might apply to you, but thought if it does that might be something that could take a little time to get everything set up.

I would probably talk to your doctors, mainly surgeon about if different opening, like smaller incisions or a thoracotomy might work better for you, or if you need a full sternum openning maybe something like surgical talons or the glue (krytonite that i believe might still be in trials for sternums) that are used to make your sternum stronger right away.

Sorry if I stepped in where you didnt ask, But if you are interested in other threads about possible issues One person I remember is Mr zoom http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ser-will-I-need-help-after-surgery&highlight=

Thanks

Thanks

Wow you know I never thought about that. My cardio didn't mention it but I do need to use my arms to get out of a chair or bed, plus having to put my prostetics on. I am going to have to get some info about this. I am on an amputee orginazation also and I will ask around there. Thanks again.
Pat(2legs)

H, it sounds like a good idea to have the surgery sooner. I know you didn ask, and i dont know aything about how you get around and how much you use your arms for that, but have you discussed any recovery issues that might make it harder because of your legs, and the restriction everyone has w/ lifting ect after OHS. or any special arrangements they might reccomend, such as a hover lift in ICU or the the floor, or short term rehab etc. There have been a few members here over the years with problems either needing crutches or wheelchairs to get around I don't know if any of that might apply to you, but thought if it does that might be something that could take a little time to get everything set up.

I would probably talk to your doctors, mainly surgeon about if different opening, like smaller incisions or a thoracotomy might work better for you, or if you need a full sternum openning maybe something like surgical talons or the glue (krytonite that i believe might still be in trials for sternums) that are used to make your sternum stronger right away.

Sorry if I stepped in where you didnt ask, But if you are interested in other threads about possible issues One person I remember is Mr zoom http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ser-will-I-need-help-after-surgery&highlight=

Latest posts

Back