Symptoms from INR being too low?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbheart

I need some advice. I've been on coumadin since August when I had my arotic valve replaced with a mechanical valve and a dissecting aortic aneurysm repaired (go gortex!).

Since then I have had some strange symptoms such as gray spots that block my vision in one eye, dizzyness spells, and part of my face or leg goes numb. When I get one of these symptoms it only lasts for 2 to 3 minutes. Is it possible that they're keeping my INR levels too low? I seem to have more symptoms when I drop below 2.5.

The eye doctor said that no matter how much coumadin I take, I'll always have stuff sloughing off the mechanical valve. Is that true? Do you guys get these symptoms? After reading some of the other threads I think I should insist that they don't let my INR fall below 2.5. They have been trying to keep me at the low end of the range.

Thanks in advance for your help!!:)

My husband had many TIAs over the course of 29 years on Coumadin. He had them when he was in proper range, and when he wasn't. His doctors have told us that it is not just blood clots that can form, there are other things which can float through the bloodstream and cause these transient ischemic attacks, little bits of cholesterol, other kinds of plaques which can form on the valves. It sounds as if your eye doctor was saying it right. If it is the other things, then Coumadin would not be the source of the problem.

If you do a search in transient ischemic attacks or TIAs (use TIAs, not just TIA, the search engine is not set up to ssearch for three letter words), you should find several posts on that subject.

It sounds like your symptoms are consistent with TIAs but, as Nancy said, there are a few things that can cause TIAs besides a low INR. That being said, I prefer to be on the high side of my range (3.0-4.0).

TIAs can happen with damaged valves be it pre or post replacement/repair. Calcified tissue can break off causing symptoms; scar tissue can also cause TIAs. I have had TIAs that are less frequent with taking baby aspirin each day so I know those are caused by tiny clots aside from the mechanical valve issue.

I have just learned to deal with them although they are still frightening.

Hello Kris,

The symptoms you describe are definitely consistent with TIA's. Someone posted an article citing the benefit of combining Aspirin with Coumadin for minimizing clotting risks. I 'think' Al Lodwick added a page to his website www.warfarinfo.com about the benefits of combining aspirin and Coumadin. Many of us take 81mg enteric (coated) aspirin (which is an anti-platelet) in addition to our anticoagulent (Coumadin or Warfarin). Discuss this with your Cardiologist before making any changes!

FWIW, whenever I have 'visual disturbances' I chew half to a full regular aspirin (325 mg) "just to be safe". Again, discuss this with your Doctor.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks everyone! Those are great ideas. I see my cardiologist later this month so I'll talk to him about it, too. Thanks again! You guys are great!:)

If your warfarin manager is more worried about bleeding than clotting, then my bet is that you are being mismanaged.

These can be after effects of the anesthesia,too. I had the gray spots after prostste surgery and I do not take warfarin, nor do I have a valve problem.

allodwick said:
If your warfarin manager is more worried about bleeding than clotting, then my bet is that you are being mismanaged.

These can be after effects of the anesthesia,too. I had the gray spots after prostste surgery and I do not take warfarin, nor do I have a valve problem.

Thanks, Al. I've been reading a lot on your website, lately. It's very helpful!! :D I'm going to try and work with the coumadin clinic I've been going to and make sure that they keep me at a higher level. It's not just my local clinic. Even the cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic was trying to keep me at the lower INR range in the first couple months after the surgery. There must be a lot of misinformed physicians & nurses out ther.

I thought the gray spots had gone away but then they started coming back later after my INR level dropped too low. So I think they are related.

Thanks again!

If these things are related to a low INR, then they are probably TIAs ? short-lived strokes. These can add up over time leading to loss of memory etc. You need to get this checked out. TIAs ARE STROKES.

Latest posts

Back