Swimming.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ovie

Good or bad for heart patients? I'm over 5 months out and have taken up swimming every other day for about 30 minutes. It's usually none stop laps and what have you. My arms really feel it that's for sure. But my concern is my incision. This far out, anything I should worry about?

If you're five months out, there shouldn't be any problem. I started daily swimming back in 85, and although I was out for about 3 months post-replacement, I picked it back up without any problem. It's great exercise and easy on the joints so I hope you decide to keep it up.:smile2:

I'm too far from the surgery to remember just how it felt at 5 vs 6 mos, but I was back to normal workouts by 6 mos., i.e., the same level I was at the year before the AVR. I'd think that's exactly what you need to be doing at this point.

I love swimming. Though I swim like an iron. I can do 2 laps and then the sea tries to reclaim me ;)
Any activity you are willing to do consistently is great for you. Glad to hear form ya mate.

I was a big swimmer before and after surgery. I am not sure why, but my swimming actually improved after I fully recovered from surgery. (My biking is just slightly off my pre surgery peak, my running is way way off)

I don't think the fact that you had surgery should deter you, but I would think your medications (if you are on anything) might dictate how hard you can push yourself.

It's great to hear that you are feeling well enough for swimming. As others have said, it's a great way to exercise, especially when it's too hot out for many other activities.

Back