Surprise results over the past week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Over the past week I was first place in a mile open water swim to an island whilst on holiday in Turkey. There were only 10 people but one of them was an Ironman triathlete with a time of 10hs 30min. I honestly did not expect to be first.

Then on Saturday I did an 18 mile local run over the hills which I do every year. Not many runners turned up but there were also a few walkers. I ended up finishing first again! I was about 10 minutes quicker than last year even though the ground was very muddy. If the normal people turned up I would not have won.

Before surgery I very rarely won races therefore two in a week is very much out of the ordinary. I must admit the opposition was not strong at all (except the Ironman).

I also had my yearly check up at my local hospital and I am now allowed to try doing without beta blockers:)

The one downside of the week is that I received a letter at work saying my job is at risk. I suppose you cannot have everything. I think I will be OK but you never know!

This has been a real tonic for me. I do not expect to win any more races but you never know. This is probably just a one off situation but I will treasure it - I am not bothered if the opposition did not turn up.

I could never swim in open water. I'd be looking for a wall to bounce off of every 50 meters.

In fact, the beta blockers make a big difference in running performance. I and a couple others did some tests with and without it a few years ago, which of course is not a very safe thing to do. We arrived at anything from 30 seconds to a whole minute per mile in race pace.

The cardiologist I saw last week was the one who dealt with my SVT and told be it was time for surgery. I also see another cardiologist at the hospital where I had my AVR and where I have had most of my tests and consultations over the years (pre and post surgery). I was talking to someone yesterday who is a consultant anaesthetist and asked him about beta blockers. I also asked him whether the two cardiologists are likely to share information as I was concerned by the casual way he said to stop taking beta blockers if I wanted to. The cardiologist I saw last week did say that if I get palpitations then start taking them again. I am sure the other cardiologist has a reason for keeping me on them but I do not know why. I am only taking 1.25mg Bisoprolol each morning. The friend also said it is good to keep on beta blockers if I can handle its effects as they have good properties which generally help the heart.

Martin

Amazing! Congratulations! I'm impressed you are doing a mile swim and an 18 mile run! I am ten years older and wonder if I'll ever get back into serious running (7 weeks post op now). I tried some sprint triathlons just for fun a few years ago but my swimming was so horrible I was one of the last ones out of the water. It would be great exercise if I could learn to swim right!
It's encouraging to me to hear how well you are doing! Keep it up!

Amazing progress and a great news. I love reading about cardiac athletes doing amazing stuff. Keep it up man.

Congratulations on your wins. Winning is a state of mind regardless of who turns up and who doesn't. Never down play a win. Keep up the good work cause there may be more wins in your future. ;)

You can only beat the people who turn up for the race. :) Congrats!

The way I always put it was, you have no chance of beating me unless you toe the line. I've gotten many medals and trophies over the years. Some might say just for being there, I say then where were you?

Nice going on those two wins. I never come in first but with my advanced age I don't get a whole lot of runners in my ag so I often get first in my ag and that's good enough. Heck sometimes I'm the only one.
Really doesn't matter who show up, doing your best is what counts most.

Latest posts

Back