Surgery Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pem - No memory loss here either. I was alert as ever once awake a couple hours post, no fuzziness then, nor later. I didn't specifically ask to avoid anything, just did whatever they gave me, maybe I was a little lucky.

Rest and walking came pretty naturally. I always walked until I was noticeably tired, but not to the point of exhaustion. Duration gradually grew each and every day. Rested until I got bored, which wasn't usually that long, then walked some more. I never nap normally but was doing a 1-2 hour nap for at least a month since I wasn't sleeping well at night.

I did have the food problem Norm mentions...couldn't eat anything comfortably for at least 2 weeks. Things with sauces seemed easier.

Hi All,

I think the short term memory issues were just due to sheer exhaustion. Now I seem to be back to my usual forgetful self :)

Things continue to go smoothly. I spiked a fever of 101.2 yesterday, which prompted a number of tests. However, I have had an inflammatory syndrome for the last 3 years that gives me a low fever for much less than OHS. So for my, getting the inflammatory response under control has been a challenge. Once you get behind the curve, even slight exertion or psychological stress can bring on fever and malaise. Nonetheless, today the fever has broken on its own and I managed 4 short walks and a range of 1500-2000 on the spirometer. Progress. I also had a few other post-surgical "firsts". Once I hit my target INR I think they'll send me home.
Pem

Wow, quite a progress. At day 2, 1500ml on the spirometer is quite an achievement. I was barely hitting 1000ml around the same time. I had no short term memory loss either. Shortly after waking up, I ran through my mental notes -SSN, passwords...etc., and one small note I made and I told myself I'd remember after waking up from the surgery.

Fever will hold you so, I hope you'll get over this soon. Take care

Wow... I'm impressed. Pem... it says you are a former runner.. do you think your fast recovery has something to do with that? Just wondering.

Welcome to the other side... as usual, I am jealous!:rolleyes2:

Wow... I'm impressed. Pem... it says you are a former runner.. do you think your fast recovery has something to do with that? Just wondering.

Welcome to the other side... as usual, I am jealous!:rolleyes2:

DeuxofUs,
I really don't know. If asked to speculate, I'd say a variety of factors contributed to my ongoing recovery: skilled surgical team with mature process, good general health (though, like everyone, I have at least some minor health issues), good oxygen use (could be related to running, but I haven't run since 2005), trust in the surgeon and outcome.

Anyway, around here they push you a bit with the spirometer. I have actually been feeling a bit behind. I think however you are doing they are always looking to the next step.

A big help for me was learning that for many people, the pre-surgical anxiety fades as surgery approaches. I was heartened to find this also true of myself. As there were fewer things under my control (as I checked off my pre surgical to do list) I found a sense of relief in letting go and putting my trust and faith into a good outcome. I has a bottle of Xanax ready to go in the weeks leading up but never touched it. It was more of a security blanket to know it was there if I needed it. My pcp prescribed it.

Hope that helps.
Pem

The physical condition we are in when we enter the hospital certainly can influence how fast we recoverr. I was used to daily walks for many years and all my doctors inferred that got me back on my feet faster. I was a 'champ' walker on the floor within hours post op.
They put my drain tube containers on a wheelchair and I pushed it as I walked. :eek: :D

Some people enter the hospital in top physical condition but nevertheless hit speedbumps and there is no predicting or doing anything about that. They have taken the best possible care of themselves and it is good they have. Without having done so, the 'bumps' could have been worse.

Glad to hear you're over the hump!

Pain ok?

Best wishes

Greg

Hi Greg,

The pain has been strikingly less than I expected. The most severe pain I experienced during the process came from two things not directly related to the surgery. One of these was muscle spasms in my back due to the hospital bed mattress. Skalaxin (a muscle relaxant) was completely curative, and then spend the rest of my stay in a reclining lounge chair prevented a recurrence. The other thing was a friction burn I sustained while being transferred from one bed to another when I was moved to step-down. I will not elaborate further.

Everything else: chest tube removal, sternal pain, incision site pain has been tolerable. After only a couple of days I was using just Tylenol - and that was primarily to reduce fever.

I attribute my lack of discomfort primarily to the skill of the surgical team in pulling me apart and putting me back together in just the right way.

How is your decision process going, Greg?

Thanks for checking in.

Best
Pem

Hi Pem

Glad you're ok and thanks for enquiring.

I'm on the waiting list for an ATS; think I can squeak by without root replacement. My surgeon feels ATS is proven and onx still in the proving stage. Hopefully I'll have it done within the next month. I stop work this Thursday because I am just too tired to function properly and want to settle down a bit before surgery.

With the time off, I'm planning to sort out my disability insurance, take care of a few loose ends around the house,fine tune my spiritual life, conserve some energy and relax. I'm a little anxious but not too bad.

My pre-surgical plan also includes working on my tan because Vitamin D is important in immunomodulation and bone building as well as for the heart. 30 minutes of full body sun, w/o sunscreen, between 10-2, may-sept, will create about 10,000 iu of vitamin d which your body stores. For fair people, arms and legs only w/o sunscreen gives you about 3000 iu in 30 minutes. Sunscreen can be used after if necessary. Hopefully, my surgery date will also allow some post-surgical sun also.

Cheers

Greg

I cant remember if I had memory loss after surgery, Just kiding , walk -walk- walk It really works. Im 2 months post surgery and 62 years old now walking 6 miles a day.

great progress pem!!! Im 4 weeks post op AVR, MVR cabg x1 rca and im moving along but at a slower pace. recovery has been a little more of a rocky road. i walk 2,3 xs a day 1/2 mile and am winded. I start cardiac rehab in 2 weeks and am looking forward to that. I am a little apprehensive to push myself out of fear something will happen, my post op echo looked like a new heart but still im scared. You are an inspiration as many others on this site r as well. Ill keep muttering along and hope to be able to do more!!
RZG Rachel

Latest posts

Back