Surgery time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it’s going to be pretty rough the first 2-3 days but you will be under constant care so don’t worry. The providers do this every day. You will be pretty much out of it for a couple days but be sure to work with your providers if you are in pain or need anything. What I found, and everyone is different, is that I needed long acting pain meds and short acting to fill in the cracks when I had break through pain. Make sure you are up and sitting at the first time they allow and when they suggest You do so. This helps your circulation and your lungs. Make sure you do your lung exercises. You do not want pneumonia. You will be surprised how much better you will feel by day three. Just as the sitting, when they say it’s time to walk you must take a walk. No matter how sort or long. No pain, no gain. They will gradually pull tubes and IV,s etc. They all come with their own interesting sensations but nothing you can’t handle. Your appetite will hit after a few days but probably small bits. Your taste buds will be messed for a few weeks but you will find what you like.

I hope I’m hitting all the highlights of the first few days. If you have any questions let me know. I just went through this four weeks ago. All the best Justin, go in as a warrior and kick it’s a$$.

I had surgery for an aortic aneurysm (grafted st Jude grafted valve) 13 yrs ago at age 58. Do what the medical staff tell you and all will be good. Someone told me after my surgery—sleep eat walk repeat—or something similar. Good advice. Keep us posted on your progress. This site was a lifesaver for me.

Hi all -

I'm heading into aortic valve replacement/aortic aneurysm repair surgery tomorrow, and I am heeding the advice of folks on this site but looking ahead to my recovery. I know it's going to be a rough month, but I'm ready. Thanks for the support these past few weeks.
I was in ICU for two days and a step down unit for three days. I went in on Monday morning and I was sent home on Friday afternoon.

While I made quick process, it was a hell of a five days. Still struggling at night with medication related gagging/nausea, but thankful I can be at home on my couch rather than in a hospital bed with all the beeping.

Had a complication during surgery. After replacing the bicuspid valve and fixing the aorta, the other half of my heart showed signs of failure. The surgeon says something got kinked or twisted during the surgery and they had to do a bypass. This was an unexpected and scary complication for my spouse, but it came out OK.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Has anyone else had this experience?
Was it the cardiac circumflex artery by chance? The reason I ask is because during one of the surgical consultations I had regarding aortic valve replacement in an existing Dacron sleeve, the surgeon‘s report mentioned the possibility of having to “move” this artery. Thanks and glad you are doing well. Slow and steady recovery.

Was it the cardiac circumflex artery by chance? The reason I ask is because during one of the surgical consultations I had regarding aortic valve replacement in an existing Dacron sleeve, the surgeon‘s report mentioned the possibility of having to “move” this artery. Thanks and glad you are doing well. Slow and steady recovery.
It was the RCA (Right Coronary Artery).

According to the documentation, near the end of the aortic valve surgery, they noticed dysfunction in the right ventricle. They performed a bypass on the RCA from arteries in my leg. This corrected the problem. The question is: what caused the problem? There was speculation but no clear answer. They did not think it was pre-existing.

Latest posts

Back