Surgery this Tuesday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Mazer

I finally figured out how to get registered. All the comments I have read are incredibly helpful. I chose a surgeon in Atlanta based on my cardiologist's opinion and the surgeon's experience with my issues including BAV, Aortic dilation, and one blocked artery. I cannot say I am frightened but somewhere in my subconscious I am scard. Mostly I worry about all the tubes that will be in me when I wake up. The second hardest part is the impact this surgery has on my family-they are more frightened than me.

I also have an ileostomy and taking care of it after surgery given what I hear is a weakened state worries me.

But I have trust in the doctor and the hospital.

Don't worry. You won't be the first with an ileostomy. I don't know how it affects you, but I have bowel problems (partial removal due to diverticulitis) and you will be constipated from the pain medications, but it's not as bad as removing part of your colon. You will be in a "weakened" state, but it's not too bad. They won't let you go home unless you can take care of yourself or have proper help.

The tubes are not that bad. You may be lucky and wake up with most of them gone.

Reassure your family by spending some special time with them. Watch TV with them instead of by yourself. Go out to eat with them before the procedure, I always do before every surgery.

I did not do any big research on doctors, hospital, etc. before my valve job. I just trusted the doctors and hospital I've gone to for the last 40 years. All went perfect. Have faith.

The tubes and leads are not so bad. I remember waking up in cardiac intensive care with the breathing tube still in place, but was sedated enough not to really notice it. Removal wasn't at all unpleasant or uncomfortable, and over the next couple of days all of the other IV's and pacing leads and whatever came out easily. The urinary catheter removal was a little uncomfortable, but it happened so quickly it was basically over and forgotten in a very few seconds. Not to worry - you'll be fine!

may peace be with you and your loved ones. "do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." sending positive vibes south!

You'll likely not have any memory of the breathing tube. You may or may not wake up before it is removed. I'm not sure how others got by after that with no tubes. I had a urinary catheter, venous central line, and three chest tubes for up to 3 days afterward. I'm not trying to scare you or 'rain on the parade'. It wasn't that bad, you just deal with it. It is something that your family needs to prepare for, as you'll look rather ghoulish the first day or so due to all the extra hardware.

It can be much harder on the family. My DW was under a lot of strain. All I had to do was lay in bed. She had to take care of everything else. Everyone worries about the patient, no one asks about the caregiver. What a shame.

Good luck J Mazer. I was worried about all the tubes comming out of me, but it turned out it was no big deal at all. One by one, they take them out and the pain pills make it pretty easy. It is hard on the family but be strong for them and let them know you will be fine. And you will be. I will say prayers for you and your family.

Good luck with your surgery. The nurses will help you as needed but you will be surprised how quickly you will be up and around taking care of yourself. The tubes aren't so bad but it is better when they are gone, and they will be gone quickly. You may want to warn those visiting you the first couple days about all the wires and tubes. I imagine it is quite a sight for the unprepared.

All the best with your surgery tomorrow. You will be in good hands and well taken care of. We will look forward to your post post op!
Godspeed.

Latest posts

Back