Surgery soon...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi, all,

A quick update: I am on track for valve surgery #2. I'm having a heart cath on the 27th and then Doc will consult with the surgeon (a new one, more local). In the meantime, I will be getting all my dental stuff taken care of, with an upcoming gum graft in March. I don't know if I persuaded my cardio to pursue surgery, but the stress echo results are an early indicator of some serious issue he wants to explore further. The cath will tell the real story. The nice thing is that my cardio talked to the surgeon on the phone while we were in the exam room together and I listened to them talk about my case. The nice thing is that this surgeon is an advocate of early surgical intervention.

Looks like surgery in the near future.

Hoping that all goes well with your heart cath, debster. I presume that this will determine whether surgery is imminent or not. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.
May I ask: What is your echo that precipitated surgery discussion? If so, what kind of changes did you have? It is the aortic or mitral valve?

Best wishes,

ottagal;n853046 said:
Hoping that all goes well with your heart cath, debster. I presume that this will determine whether surgery is imminent or not. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.
May I ask: What is your echo that precipitated surgery discussion? If so, what kind of changes did you have? It is the aortic or mitral valve?

Best wishes,

It's my mitral valve. The repair isn't holding up, my posterior leaflet is thickening, and my cardio suspects I have pulmonary hypertension. I've been having vague symptoms, but the cath will definitely determine the status of everything. Forgot to mention that I may have a couple detached chords, too. The way my cardio is talking is that I need to get ready for surgery soon--that's why he's pressing me to go ahead and get my dental work done ASAP.

debster913;n853054 said:
It's my mitral valve. The repair isn't holding up, my posterior leaflet is thickening, and my cardio suspects I have pulmonary hypertension. I've been having vague symptoms, but the cath will definitely determine the status of everything. Forgot to mention that I may have a couple detached chords, too. The way my cardio is talking is that I need to get ready for surgery soon--that's why he's pressing me to go ahead and get my dental work done ASAP.
Thanks for the update.
I understand caths are more precise than echos. Who knows...perhaps, you will get to buy a little more time? However, it does sound like you would like to get 'er' done.
Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back