surgery scheduled 2nd of april

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraordinary

Ok well , here I am in the U.S ..
when my doctor first saw me thought i don't need a valve replacement yet, but when took a look into my echo they changed their minds, it's easier for me to do it now as well because my child is still too young to understand so it would be easier for me and him, also the heart muscle still in good condition so why wait until it fails and i've been through all the symptoms and they were soooo scary don't wanna wait til i experience them again..
so, since this would be 3rd open heart surgery the mechanical valve would be the best choice for me as i want to avoid any more surgeries, I'm 24 years old female still little afraid of the blood thinners risks of bleeding, what you think ?
and how about the ross procedure is it similar to the mechanical valve and or does ross procedure need a re-operation ?
what about you before you had your surgery you have gone through symptoms and feeling really sick or you were feeling ok and questioning your timing ?

tomorrow ill meet up with my surgeon

Have a look through the anticoagulation forum, there are HEAPS of threads there around anti-coagulants and how for the great majority of us they're a non-issue - including those of us who didn't want mech valves due to fear of the impact of anti-coagulants on our lives.

I took up mountain biking after I got my mech valve and I fall off a lot, never had a problem. So don't worry about the risk of bleeding!

Good luck for the surgery :)

As far as I know (and I did some research), the Ross procedure usually needs a re-op. It can last longer than a tissue valve, but the procedure has fallen out of favor because it isn't the "permanent" fix originally hoped for.

Good luck on Wednesday! Best wishes for an easy recovery.

AFAIK, the idea with a Ross is that down the road, the replacement pulmonary valve will need re-replacing, but the aortic should be fine. Is this turning out not to be the case?

I would also read as much as I can about valve selection. I have been on Coumadin for a year now. No problems.
My surgeon recommended an INR of 2.5-3.0. My cardiologist has me at 2.0 to 2.5. Last test was 2.3. Testing about once per month.So, this is a lower dosage than when I first got out of the hospital. Eat a consistent diet...stay away from foods that affect your INR and you should be fine. My cardiologist feels so good about all aspects of the ON-X valve that he feels comfortable with my INR at a slightly reduced range. There are maybe a half-dozen mechanical valve manufacturers to pick from. Your options are usually driven by your surgeons experience or lack there of with them. I had no symptoms at all. A routine EKG at my yearly physical revealed a LBBB- (left bundle branch block). Further tests led to the discovery of my bicuspid aortic valve and my aortic aneurysm. (BAV & AA). It was 5 months from the discovery of my condition to surgery in March of 2013.

Last edited:
Extraordinary

I am right there with you I will be having my second AVR on April 3rd I had a tissue valve put in 4yrs ago I was 48 at the time and was scared of the possible problems with blood thinners.

I am just thankful that sense then I have found this site and have been able to make decisions based on others experience rather than just propaganda and my own fears

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Each person is different (obviously), but I chose mechanical and am very happy. I test and adjust my dose myself (started doing that 6 weeks after surgery), never had my INR go very wild, although sometimes it goes out of range (should be 2.0-3.0, has been between 1.8 and 3.9). I usually test twice a month. Only hear the ticking in bed, never bothered me.

Good luck!

Ive opted for a mechanical valve as well. I decided doing this once would be enough, and I hope Im right. Having the surgery done the same day as you. This will be my first. Wish you the best!

Ive opted for a mechanical valve as well. I decided doing this once would be enough, and I hope Im right. Having the surgery done the same day as you. This will be my first. Wish you the best!

oh really and how is your feelings right ? are you male or female and how old?
yes i've ended up with choosing a mechanical valve as well as I'm trying my best and praying to not have a 4th redo because this is my 3rd at age 24 I'll pray for you and you pray for me, I can't wait til i get it over with and fly back home for my child which is only 4 moths :'( miss him so much already !

I wish we could choose mechanical valve without the blood thinners but no one is perfect even the valves none of them has the whole package :D
pray for me I'm so confused about my surgery tomorrow that I'm sitting on bed and doing nothing while i have million things to do but I'm frozen

:D hope it all goes well, where you're having your surgery done?
my surgery is little complicated hope it all goes well

AFAIK, the idea with a Ross is that down the road, the replacement pulmonary valve will need re-replacing, but the aortic should be fine. Is this turning out not to be the case?

yeah once i knew about that i avoided it, one damaged valve is enough don't want to fix something and damage the other ..
had to go with the mechanical valve

As far as I know (and I did some research), the Ross procedure usually needs a re-op. It can last longer than a tissue valve, but the procedure has fallen out of favor because it isn't the "permanent" fix originally hoped for.

Good luck on Wednesday! Best wishes for an easy recovery.

yeah … i didn't like it as it fix something and damage the other !
thanks <3

im a 30yr old male. was born with aortic stenosis. honestly, im ready. Dont know if I can sleep tonite, but Im gonna try. Im ready to get home to my lil girl as well. I want it behind me, and the only way to do that is move forward. Dont dwell on the negatives or unknowns. Since your going mechanical, i hope this to be your last surgery! Dont sweat bloodthinner its just a pill a day. You've got my prayers tonite young lady!!

oh really and how is your feelings right ? are you male or female and how old?
yes i've ended up with choosing a mechanical valve as well as I'm trying my best and praying to not have a 4th redo because this is my 3rd at age 24 I'll pray for you and you pray for me, I can't wait til i get it over with and fly back home for my child which is only 4 moths :'( miss him so much already !

Hi
I wish we could choose mechanical valve without the blood thinners but no one is perfect even the valves none of them has the whole package :D

that would be the Holy Grail wouldn't it

pray for me I'm so confused about my surgery tomorrow that I'm sitting on bed and doing nothing while i have million things to do but I'm frozen

understandable. Be kind to yourself, don't punish yourself with the process too much and have faith that both are good decisions.

Best wishes to both of you - of course if you're reading this it's probably after your surgeries! It's already 2nd April in Australia :)

Sending all sorts of good vibes from down under.

Australia calling

Australia calling

Best wishes to both of you - of course if you're reading this it's probably after your surgeries! It's already 2nd April in Australia :)

Sending all sorts of good vibes from down under.

Hi Ski Girl from another Australian.I'm new to this. Just joined the waiting room with no set date yet. What was your experience?

Latest posts

Back