Surgery next week - relaxation, mind/body techniques?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bunkenmeyer

Well, I haven't posted much in the last few weeks as my surgery draws near but I've been following the site closely and many of the postings have been very helpful and encouraging. I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec. 4th. Any suggestions regarding getting prepared for the surgery? I've gotten one book on relaxation and mind/body healing tecquniques which has been helpful. The book even suggests asking the surgeon and anesthesiologist to recite some re-inforcing healing statements at the beginning and end of the surgery to instill a healing mindset in the subconcious (e.g. "You will heal quickly..." - to be repeated 5 times). Has anyone had any experience with any of this kind of thing? Did anyone actually ask there doctors to do say anything to them while they are under ( or going under)? It seems a bit out there but maybe it helps?

Thanks,
Bunkenmeyer

P.S. Any positive thoughts or prayers on the morning of the 4th would be most appreciated!!

Try to relax as best you can. I know it's easier said then done, but you'll be fine. The waiting is what gets to you. I know, Mine was on after 7 months. 12 days before surgery, I got sick and had to reschedule an wait another month. Put the fear and anxiety in the creators hands. Let it go.

I don't have any real words of wisdom, besides what your already doing. I'll keep you and all the others, before and after you, in thought and prayer. This site, as a collective, has produced darn good results. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hank you should be and are a very proud man. Thanks again for the dream and this site.

Hi! Bunkenmeyer!
I really can't add anything more to what Nancy and Ross have said, but I just wanted to let you know that I will definately be sending you my thoughts and prayers regarding your pre-surgery jitters (completely normal), your surgery and your recovery.

Take Care! Everything will be just fine. Please have someone let us know how you are doing after your surgery!

Gail

Bunkenmeyer:

Try to focus on how much better you will feel after it's all over. You will be able to tell a difference right away. Even though you will feel as if you've been run over by a truck, you will feel a difference on the inside. I know it sounds weird now, but it's true.

Relax, take that sleeping pill they give you the night before, and remember that everyone who loves you and whom you love will be thinking about you and praying for you. And of course all of us here will be sending good vibes your way.

You'll get that happy shot and then the next thing you know you'll be trying to give the recovery room nurse your car for a drink of water. (I did).

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery
-Mara

Bunkenmeyer,
Go for it and be done with it! All thoughts are with you. Let everyone know how you are doing.

Keeping relaxed is easier said than done as the day draws near.
Remember, that there are a bunch of us that will be thinking of you on your day.

We're pulling for you and you are not alone as you go through this. Sometimes it's hard for relatives and friends to understand all the emotions and odd feelings that we go through, particularly in the last week or so.

Try your best to keep your chin up and do as others have suggested. Keep thinking positive and think about how good it will be once this is all over with.

Keep posting here if you get freaked out. Many of us get frightened or nervous and some of us even have anxiety attacks (I did before both surgeries), so don't feel alone that you have these emotions. We all have them and they are normal.

If you need to chat, please feel free to email or PM me. In fact, I would say most people in this group would answer you back if you had any questions or just needed to "talk".

Keep well. I will be thinking of you on your day.
Kev

Bunkenmeyer

Bunkenmeyer

I've had four open heart surgeries. I think I look at it now as "just going in for a valve job". I want you to know that you will be in my prayers leading up to and the day of your sugery. Think positive thoughts. There are many out here who are praying for you. Also if you stay as busy as you can (if you can) it won't be as bad. I know before my last one I spring cleaned my house top to bottom. It made the time go by faster and I didn't give myself time to "think". Also remember that the waiting is the hardest part. At least it was for me. Good luck and please have someone keep us posted. Pegne

hi bunkenmeyer!
i am so sorry that you are _understandably_ anxious about next week.
the waiting really is difficult and if there's anything we can do to make it easier for you,please let us know.
nancy's suggestion about diane tusek's tapes on guided imagery is a great one. she can overnight them to you.
we used them and i still use them when i have trouble sleeping at night.
she is a very lovely person. give her a call.
as all others said, just try and keep busy and before you know it, the day will be here and then behind you.
we are here for you. stay well, sylvia

Hello Bunkenmeyer,

I am planning on AVR 12/4 also and have discussed with my nurse who will be following me through surgery using a relaxation tape in ICU etc. She encouraged it saying it was quite noisy in there and the earphones will help. But she made it clear I can't bring anything else in there with me.

I made MP3's out of 3 relaxation CDs and put them on one CD I can play continuously.

Does this sound reasonable to those in the group who have been there? Or is it an off the wall idea?

Is there any other hints of things to do or bring...socks? Do you get cold?

Donna

The OR can be very cold, but really, you're not aware of it for more than 10 minutes, so it's not something to be too concerned about. The rest of the time they do a good job of trying to keep you as comfortable as possible.
k

Bunkenmeyer,

You have received a lot of good advice already. In my case I realized that the surgeons are really skilled at what they do and the rate of success with this type of operation is very very good.

When they finally rolled me into pre-op, at 07:30 am, I was actually quite calm and not worried in the least. Sounds strange but that is how I felt. I knew it had to be done and I knew life would be better when it was all over.

We will all be with you in thought and cheering you on to a swift recovery.

Walter

First of all I want to say you will be in my thoughts and prayers in the next few weeks. The waiting is the hardest part and I know you will agree when this is behind you. Relaxation tapes sounds like a great idea to me. I remember being very anxious before surgery and like Bill said once the day of surgery is so surreal, You won't even be that nervous. The day of my surgery my parents and sister drove into the city, About 45 mins. with morning traffic on the LIE (lol) and I brought my CD player and sat in the back of my fathers minivan with my headphones blasting, I wasn't listening to relaxation music, More along the lines of music of my age group...Rap. But that's what relaxed me. Unfortunately they did not let me bring my CD player into the waiting room or OR. They didn't want to be responsible for it, blah, blah. But I found it very helpful after geting out of the ICU, I brought plenty of batteries with me and put my headphones on every night before going to sleep to drown out all the noise and it helped me sleep. Well, Again I wish you the very best on your upcoming surgery and hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. Take care and God bless!

As you may have noticed, the people here are real "pros" at getting over this particular mountain.

I'll share two things that really helped me:

Focusing on just one thing at a time, rather than dwelling on the whole big experience. Coping with just one event at a time, one day at a time seemed to help.

Second, like others, I really focused on seeing myself with the surgery over and done, and well on the road to recovery. Thinking about going for long walks without difficulty, playing sports again...positive imagery like that really helped the most.

I'll be thinking of you, and know you'll get through this just fine!

Best,
--John

Guided Imagery

Guided Imagery

I was issued Diane Tuseks tapes by my surgeons office and they were very helpful. There is a "talking" tape with music and a music only tape. I was instructed to bring only the music tape with me the AM of surgery and listened to it as anesthesia was induced. The next thing I remembered was the ET tube coming out and my surgeon standing there asking how I felt. I was home The AM of the 4th post op day and listened to the talking tapes every night going to sleep.Also a friend gave me the talking book " Into Thin Air" which I listened to each day.( the suffering of the mountain climbers made my little aches and pains seem inconsequential) So in summary,if there is time get Dianes tapes and try to get some good talking books for post op. I tried reading the first few days post op and it was not relaxing, particularly the newspapers.
See you on the other side!

Before my 1st avr when I didn't know what to expect, I had to check in the night before.
After a meeting with everyone who was having open heart surgery the next day, we were to shower and then whatever. So, I brought a walkman and listened to a tape that always gave me such a good feeling about life in general, musically. It was Linda Ronstadt singing spanish and even though I don't speak the language I really loved the music.
I went to bed just knowing I would be fine.
For my 2nd avr in 2000, I asked the anethesiologist to play either classical or jazz during my surgery. He said sure and was so good looking and so nice.I like to think that they did, but my surgeon was wearing cowboy boots when I met him, so he may have been able to override my request! Go ahead and request what you think will help you. Most medical people will be happy to give you that lift that you may need.
Best to You, Gail

Latest posts

Back