Surgery March 15....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkone

I have a dumb question. As many know I will be in there the same time as Kaj.
Everyone is always talking about having a relcliner....well, I have one but I can't imagine being able to pull up the lever if you can't pull open the fridge.
So the dumb question is....can you do it?
:eek:
I have most of my important questions answered...this just keeps coming up in my mind. I am sure I will have plenty more before the lift off!
Thanks,
Karen

Karen,

I didn't have any problems. Maybe it is the angle from which you are pulling the lever. When you are opening the fridge, your arm is somewhat raised and you are pulling towards your chest. In the recliner your arm is dropped and you are pulling slightly up. Anyway, it seems to be different.

Hope you find this to be true also.

Best wishes.

I have a "lever" recliner and did not experience any problems with mine. We stayed the first two nights at my sister-in-law's and she had a lever recliner too. Guess it doesn't take as much effort as I thought. I had to be careful when getting out of the recliner by using my legs and not "pulling" with my ams. I also opened the fridge after getting home with no problem. The key is to take it easy for a while and "NEVER" strain. I made the mistake my first week of leaning over the chair to try to pick something off the floor. My chest let me know right quick it didn't appreciate that movement. You will be surprised at how much things weigh. It was a joke here for a while that when I picked things up (such as shopping bags) I would yell "TEN POUNDS, TEN POUNDS.

I was not able to sleep flat on my back for several weeks after getting home. Sometimes felt that I couldn't get my breath. I started having some swelling in my legs and Cardio (actually the Nurse) suggested I keep my feet above my heart when sitting. Even with pillows it was hard to do in my recliner so I moved to the loveseat and put my legs over the arms.

As most have posted, be careful when you use the PC about keeping the legs up. I have a cordless keyboard so I was able to prop my feet up and still use my computer. Wife's laptop felt like it weighed two tons when I tried to lift it.

May God Bless,

Danny

Good question

Good question

Hi Karen:
That was a good question. I found it difficult initially using a recliner. My husband had to do the manuveuring for me to sit up straight or recline for a couple of weeks. I had minimally invasive open heart, they made an incision under my right breast about 3 inches long, the recliner handle was on the right side of the chair so I wasn't able to do it on my own. After a few weeks, it will be ok. Only do what you can, don't strain. If your worried about it, stay on the couch with a couple of pillows stacked behind you.
Dawn

I had no problem with my recliner at all. One suggestion from a friend of mine did help--practice now using your legs only to get out of the chair. Trust me, you won't use your arms but once, sore ribs, sternum, muscles, etc. will get your attention real quick. Remember to think before you open doors. Pushing and pulling was hard for me.
My wife was driving us somewhere about 3 weeks post op and her cell phone slid to the floor under my feet. Well, about halfway down to pick up the phone between my legs---my body said this is not good.
Just remember to do things slowly--let your body tell you what you can and cannot do. Avoid sneezing at all costs--this does get your attention real quick.

God Bless,

Bobby

Bought a new recliner just for the occasion. Found there is an adjustment underneath so that it is very easy to push the chair back into the reclining position.

Latest posts

Back