Surgery in a Month/Support Groups?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mknott484

Hello,

I'm a brand new member as of this very day.

I'm a 31 year old male, and I will be having aortic valve replacement surgery on April 2. I've decided to go with a tissue valve, although I'm not sure yet if I'll go with a homograft or a pig valve. My understanding is that although pig valves may not last as long, they are easier to replace. Since I'm looking at another surgery in 10-15 years regardless, I'm leaning towards the less risky option. I would surely appreciate any insight on this, though. My head's definitely spinning a bit.

I was also wondering if anyone knew about any support groups in the Colorado Springs or possibly Denver area? I've tried looking but haven't had any luck.

Thank you all for this site, it's a huge comfort and the information has been invaluable.

-Mike

Hi Mike, welcome-:)

Good to have you here. This is the greatest place. Although we're all cyber buddies, you'll finds oodles of support right here. Usually answers are fast in coming and as you already know, the information is terrific.

Everyone here "gets it".

So pull up a chair, type away at the computer and ask as many questions as you can think of. You'll get lots of help.

Best wishes.

Hi Mike,

One of the threads I found very imformative was Peter Easton's discussion of valve selection, .Making the Choice

Check it out. And welcome to the site

hi mike!
welcome to this site. it is a wonderful place to find support, hand holding and information.
please take the time to look at the thread mainframe mentioned, it's a great one.
as far as finding a support group in your area, i can't help you with that, but i'm sure someone else will come forward and be able to help. in fact, if i'm not mistaken, i think rain is from your neck of the woods.
in any case, we're glad to have you among us. ask any questions you want and we will try and help.
be well and please keep us posted.
-sylvia

Hello Mike,

Welcome to our loving cyber family! Pull up a chair, have a cuppa and ask away.
Everyone on this forum understands how you feel right now. Most of us have been through what you are about to go through, and some of us are still waiting for the big day. We will hold your hand so to speak and support you through this big event. Before you know it you'll be on the other side of the mountain.
I don't know of any support groups in your area. Rain, who is from Colorado has not spoken of any. But maybe you could start one yourself.
The support I received from here was enough for me! It was in one word "wonderful".

Let us hear from you!

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Last edited:
surgery in a month

surgery in a month

Mike, Hi, so you think you might go with a tissue valve...
one thing that persuaded me apart from the possibility of having another child with a tissue valve was that at our local coag clinic in london I met 2 women who'd had tissue valves, gone on to have aeons of kids and who's tissue valves started packing up 19 to 20 years after their first op.This seemed like a good initial span for me, by then I thought, there are going to be many new options.my cardiologist said that because valve replacement surgery was so successful, he didn't think there would be many new advancements, but there have been, and they're continuing.
However many coumadin users have no probs, and certain cultures, e.g The Inuit, have very thin blood from all the omega oils they consume, and have no probs. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR VALVE CHOICE AND YOUR OP.
DEBS X

You've got new friends now.

You've got new friends now.

Hi Mike, Well if you have a question or just need someone to talk to you have hit the right web site. The people here are so full of good advice and alot of knowledge also. I had a valve replacement in Jan 24, 2002, Tissue (cow). All the little things you forget to ask you dr. you can find it here. We are all behind you. Just keep in touch, OK? Syl

Hi Mike - Welcome to this group. It is the best support group I know about and we know what happens and can answer your questions. I had my Aortic valve replaced last year (along with Mitral repair). I selected to go with a homograph (human valve) because I think they last longer than an animal valve. Since they don't have a long history, that is not definite. A mechanical valve should be a possibility depending on your age. You would have to take blood thinners with the mechanical. Hey, I get out to Col Springs every so often, but not recently. Good luck with the surgery and keep asking questions.

Hi Mike,
-Welcome, I had a AVR replacement on 12-15-2000 choose a homogarph. This is a very personal decission. Had no problems with surgery. Had a wonderful surgeon who was very adept at doing this kind of valve replacement. Am glad I made the choice I did. While it is true the surgery is a bit longer in duration. The homograph has a bit of a longer life span. Thinking back I remember what it was like going through making the initial choices. If I can be of any help please let me know. martha

Thank you all for your information and well-wishes. I apologize for taking a few days to respond. I've set a firm date of 4/2 for the operation and I've decided to go with a freestlye porcine valve, so at least all that's set. Now the waiting starts, but I actually just feel like I'd like it to be done with, so the sooner the better. Again, thank you, and I'll keep you updated as the date grows near.

Mike

Hey Knott - welcome to our peaceful home. Now that you have a date set, somebody (not me as I don't know how) will put it in the calendar and we all watch that. Please hang out with us for all the support you need. It is an awesome surgery, but wonderful, so you may need to talk with us sternum vets and get a little info. i.e. the little pillow. God bless

p.s. just cked calender and it's already there. See how good we are.

Wow! April 2nd is my day too!

Wow! April 2nd is my day too!

Hi Mike - The day you get your tune up will be my 3rd anniversary of my aortic valve replacement!

It's almost as if it never happened now.

The only differences are:

I have a new online family (you all :) )
My family hears me clicking once in a while.
I have to take a pill every day (coumadin)
I check my INR every couple weeks with my ProTime system

Other than that - I'm alive and perfect!

It will be fine in the end Mike.

Hi Mike!
I had my AVR 2.25.02. I have always been an anti-hospital and I was home in 4 days! I chose a mechcanical valve because I couldn't bear to go to the hospital again when I was 65.
It will be great! 3 weeks later and I can already feel the extra "headroom" in my endurance.
What made it easier for my to cope was the total confidence in my surgeon, hospital and valve selection.
I just discovered this forum myself and found it a great place to "not feel alone."
Good luck!
Keep us posted
carbo

Hi Mike,

Wecome to our VR.com family! You have come to the right place for reassurance, questioned answered and support. We all care. That's why we're here! :) :)

As you go through the time leading up to surgery and long after surgery you will find that one of us at one time another will be able to answer your many questions.

You asked if anyone knew of a support group in your area. I can't say I do. I can tell you that I, like Christina, feel I get all the support I need right here on this wonderful site. Again welcome and keep us posted.

welcome from another newbie

welcome from another newbie

Hi Mike.
Like you I am new to this group..about a week now.. and believe it when I say you have found the right place. Ask any question
and it will be answered.

I am still waiting for a date but we will share many anxieties together..check the jackc posts they probably will be similar concerns for you as well.

Good luck from a fellow hog to be !

Jack ( Welland )

Welcome Mike, I can't really add any more than what the group has already said. As far as support goes... this is the best support that you will receive! Just stick with us and we'll all get you through this.

Take care,
Zazzy

Hello Mike,

Regarding Support Groups, see if you can find a MENDED HEARTS chapter in your area. Check the phone books or internet or ask the staff at your cardiologists or surgeons office if they know of a chapter.

Have you followed the Heart Links section on this website? There are links to manufacturers of different types of valves with descriptions and data, including durability. At age 31, durability should be a concern since scar tissue becomes an issue in repeated surgeries, especially for third (and higher) surgeries. Mechanical valves are often recommended for younger patients for this reason.

As an older candidate, I'm looking at the Bovine Pericardial Valve (cow tissue) which I believe has greater durability than (most) pig valves. I highly recommend you discuss the options with your surgeon.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back