Surgery in 4 weeks - June 1st

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnarciso

Thanks for all the info I could find here. It has been a lot of help.

I have known since I was 14, when I was diagnosed in a routine medical exam, that some day I would have to replace the valve. Well, 23 years after that, that day is arriving. "In the future" always seems far enough. Now I have an X in my wall calendar (actually an Event on my iPhone) - a lot scarier.

It turned out that my valve is still hanging in there (I have both insufficiency and stenosis, but none of them critical yet), but I have to go into surgery due to the TAA, which is growing fast (47 mm in March, 4 mm growth in a year). No good reason to postpone. The surgeon will see if my case will be for Bentall - de Bono (replace valve and the entire ascending aorta with a valved tube) or maybe preserve the aortic sinuses and coronary arteries insertions, replacing only the valve and the part of the aorta where the aneurysm is. He will only decide after he takes a good look at everything, with his own eyes...

Right now I am trying to finish a zillion projects at work and to dominate anxiety - at least one thing helps the other. keeping busy is a good strategy to me. Too bad I cannot sweat the anxiety away anymore - no more running or swimming for me since the last visit to the cardio three months ago.

If anyone needs help with info on how to go through this in Brazil, I can help. I have done some research, gone through some good and bad experiences dealing with private and public health systems, visited a few doctors and institutions before making my decision, and would be happy to share my experiences.

Good luck to all!

Paulo

Paulo,

Your story sounds like mine; at 36 years old my valve was calcifying (had an opening of about 1 cm) but didn't need surgery yet. However, over the course of about a year, my ascending aorta went from 4.5cm to 5.4cm, so I had to go in for surgery. My surgeon saved the sinuses and the coronary artery attachments, put in a mechanical valve and replaced the aneurysm with a dacron graft. I wish you a good experience, and will watch for updates on your situation!

Jason,

thanks for the support (and I read your other posts, you are great at that). I am hoping i get the simpler surgery, saving the sinuses. Less time on the heart an lung machine, less time in hypothermia... We'll see.

Paulo
Welcome to the family and may your surgery/recovery go well. Sending caring/positive thoughts your way, in Brazil. God Bless...
Go Team 2011 !
Renee
Dx BAV 11/2010 with severe stenosis Surgery done 4/14/2011 AVR with a Edwards "Magna" Bovine Tissue Valve and a Triple bypass at St. Agnes Medical Center in Fresno, Ca. by Dr. Richard Gregory no complications

Latest posts

Back