Surgery date set - Hope it goes better than the preliminary planning!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielB

Hi All,

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.... I do have my surgery date set for AVR replacement Monday, October 17th. It will be at Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego, performed by Dr. Robert Adamson, MD. As my title says, I hope it goes better then the planning. Not to say the surgeon or the hospital are anything to worry about, but the planning has not been smooth. I first interviewed with another surgeon, who I had recommended to me by a fellow San Diegan and user of VR.org (torreypines), but he decided to take a position at another hospital. I moved to Dr. Adamson, not a bad change -- he's the Medical Director for their Heart Transplant Program and is a great guy, but he could not do it on my earlier date, so I had to move everything . No small matter. Then, a few days back, they moved my date again, this time a week sooner and geez, what an impact on getting ready at the office and making all the appointments work to do it all in one week less. Then, I ran into a false alarm with the dentist being VERY conservative and thinking a bone cavity might be an abscess, halting everything until that got cleared. This week, the nasal swab they took looking for Mersa and other such things came back positive, so they are adding an antibiotic for me to use pre-surgery for good measure.

I can't wait to get it all done and check in to the hospital for some good rest! Thanks to all for the great info to date, I look forward to being able to contribute more when I am on the other side.

Dan

So sorry for all the ups and downs trying to get scheduled and have your surgery. That kind of stress is hard to cope with.
Best wishes all goes smoothly now and all the bumps are finished and done with.

Oh, by the way...... don't hope for some good rest in the hospital. That isn't likely to happen what with all sorts of checks all through the day and night.

Wising you a smooth surgery and bump free recovery.

Thanks - yah, I know the hospital will be anythng but a holiday, but at least I'll be able to focus on just the one thing. I'm ready to get it done though. MY SOB is cropping up more and more, so it's definately time.

Thanks - yah, I know the hospital will be anythng but a holiday, but at least I'll be able to focus on just the one thing. I'm ready to get it done though. MY SOB is cropping up more and more, so it's definately time.

I know how tough it can be when surgeries dates are bumped or moved around. We've ran into that a few times with Justin's surgeries..altho to be fair 2 times Justin also was the emergency case that bumped other kids the day of their surgery and that was tough too. We even switched surgeons and hospitals after his surgery was postponed a couple times and dragged on for months, too.
I hope you have your surgery on the 17th with out any more surprises. Altho when you have surgery at larger transplant centers &Transplant surgeons I never truly believe Justin WILL be having his surgery until they wheel him out of the pre-op area. Its just easier for ME mentally to think that way. I REALLY believe things happen when they are supposed to and things have always worked out well for Justin if that helps at all.

Last edited:
All the best Dan! Go in and come out with a new 'heart' =)
What is 'SOB'?

Latest posts

Back