Surgery date is the 30th, costume suggestions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumber1

I posted 4 months ago about my schedule for AVR and conduit replacement. However, a CT scan discovered very small lump of cancer in upper right lobe of lung and I had that lobe removed on 6/12 instead of doing the AVR (same doctor, same clinic).

Now, after recovery from lung surgery I can get on to the AVR replacement which has been scheduled for the 30th of this month. I will be getting an On-X valve and the procedure will be done locally.

I have high confidence in the surgeon and he is familiar with me, having his hands inside once before.

I am ready to do this procedure and do appreciate the support and information I have received form this community.

I assume I will be pretty alert on the 31st, at least enough to make light of it being Haloween. Any suggestions about an appropriate costume to wear if I am able to walk the cardiac ward?

Either way, wish me luck.

Positive thoughts mean something and they work too!

Hey, Halloween is my thing.....!
I'm thinking you should be walking the halls in a nurse's uniform.
Or how about a mad scientist?
You could pack some accessories like a wig or face mask. It's not like you will be short of sheets to work with.:)
You have conquered one surgery, and soon this AVR will be behind you and you will be able to have a new life.Best wishes.

Glad to hear that you had a good recovery from the lung surgery and are ready and willing to undergo the AVR. Put you on the calendar. How about a "newborn" to symbolize the beginning of your new healthy life?:) Of course, I wouldn't want you walking the halls in a diaper, but those white cover-ups are almost as bad.:D

Hello! Frankenstein!! I mean, how many scars do they have to give you before your realize a little green make-up and some nuts and bolts (trust me, you'll still be feeling pretty nutty on the second day! :rolleyes: ) would be the perfect you!

What a great attitude you have! It will serve you well!

I'll send some good thoughts up the I-5 on the 30th!!

Best wishes from Portland Metro area!!

Marguerite

I'm glad everything is going so well recoverinng from the cancer surgery. I don't have any suggestions, When Justin was in for Halloween he was a dinosaur, but he was only 18 months old so it was easy to find jammy costumes. How about a pirate? You would just need a hat and eye patch, and Justin always said he would be a perfect extra for the pirate movies since he loves to sail and has his own scars so would save make up lots of work :)

First off, glad to hear you've recovered from the lung surgery and can get on with the AVR. Best wishes on the 30th.

Now for the costume.....how about a mummy? No shortage of bandages in a hospital.

Plumber1,
You have all my good wishes and kind thoughts for a successful surgery and a swift recovery. As for the costume, well given that the gowns in the hospital are a bit small, you could bend over and pretend you are a Parkerhouse roll....
Blanche

Thanks for all the good suggestions for a costume!

I have asked surgeon and he says I will still be in ICU on the 31st so I may only be limited to wearing a mask. I know I am going to be hooked up to so many tubes, and that comlicates things.

Last time in hospital I was known as the prolific walker, nurses couldn't keep me down. So I think I may do a reverse trick-or-treat to the other patients in cardiac ward and bring some good chocolates to give out.

Thanks for everyones well-wishes.

I had my first surgery on Halloween so I can relate. Don't worry about a costume. They will paint you orange anyway so you can be the Great Pumpkin. ;) :D

Love the reverse Trick or Treat idea although I think you will not yet be walking the halls to ring doorbells.

Best of luck to you.

I think they will already have you in a 'costume'.
By the afternoon of my second day I was walking the halls. They weren't too thrilled about that, but I learned from my gall bladder surgery way back in the seventies that the sooner you get up and around the better off you will feel.
I'm glad that your lung surgery went well and here's hoping this one will go just as well.
Rich

geebee said:
I had my first surgery on Halloween so I can relate. Don't worry about a costume. They will paint you orange anyway so you can be the Great Pumpkin. ;) :D

Love the reverse Trick or Treat idea although I think you will not yet be walking the halls to ring doorbells.

Best of luck to you.
She hit the nail on the head......
Maybe you could be tool salesman (Plumbers use Rigid Tools)
Also I'd like to paraphrase Rich.. "the sooner you get up & about..."
and Marguerite53..."what a great attitude...." p.s. Thanks
You'll do well you have already shown a winning spirit!

Hey Plumber1....really good to hear from you again. I was telling my wife about your Puget sound and runabout the other day.

I have alway thought that getting dressed up as a big green gonnorhea germ would be really cool. It doesnt have anything to with your cardiac surgery but it could be a great way to cause spasms in people as they try to get away from you as you walk the halls. A little green slime could also go a long way too.

Really, dude, I will be thinking of you and, of course will send prayers for you and your family. Game face.............

Hey tcopel, great to hear from you too.

Well now I am going to have to look up and see what a green gonnorhea germ actually looks like as my life has previously been spared any direct contact.

Someone at work suggested my costume be "zipperman" because of the scar I will have on my chest.

Of course whatever I end up wearing, I will have my game face on underneath. Great of you to mention this.

Thanks all for your ideas and caring support.

Hmmm, go as a patient, complete with that lovely backless gown.

:)

Wishing you all the best for a very successful AVR, may you get out of the ICU before the goblins come out to play.

Peace,
Ruth

Plumber:

How about a bikini? That would bring a :) to many patients' faces.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods next weekend -- in Ocean Shores WA for a cat show 10/27-28. Always love to go up to Washington. One of these days it will be non-cat-related. :D

Back