Surgery 2 weeks from today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railroad_widow

Hi All,
I am a new poster but I have been lurking for a pretty long time. I just wanted to say what a blessing this forum has been for me over the years. When I bring up some of the things I worry about to my family they look at me like I'm pretty strange (which I am but do they need to verify it :wink2: ) but then I come in here and read that many of you have worried about the same things and have lived through them with your funny bone intact. It just makes it so much easier to go through something as scary as this can be when you feel like you are not the only one :smile2:

So a little background. My murmur first showed up when I was pregnant with my 2nd of 4 daughters. Occasionally a doctor would ask me if anyone ever mentioned I had a murmur but that was as far as it would go. Then back in 2005 my doctor said she thought we should just check it out and sent me for an echo. I have never been as shocked as I was the day I found out about my BAV. I always figured I would end up with cancer or joint problems but I figured I was good in the heart department as my cholesterol was excellent, my blood pressure was excellent so I was flabbergasted. So here I am now,9 years later and having OHS when I'm only 46. My Mother also had her valve replaced about a year and a half ago. She didn't know she had a BAV either. Luckily my 4 daughters have all checked out ok!

So here I sit counting down the days. It's actually been quite the wait. I found out in March after a Cardiac Cath that I was going to need surgery but I asked the Surgeon if we could wait till school was out as it would be easier on everyone involved. He agreed on the condition my symptoms didn't worsen. So far so good :smile2:

I'm so glad I found this forum you have all been such an encouragement to me . Thank you

Tina

Hello Tina!

We're here when you need us. I lurked for a while as well, only visiting on Friday nights with a little drinky-poo to soften the edges. As my surgery drew nearer, I read more here than I did on facebook!

Please ask any questions....no inquiry is too small or silly or insignificant.

:)
Meredith

Hi Tina!

Your story sounds much like mine. I knew I had a heart murmur when I was in late teens but nobody made much of it until I was in the hospital after having our son via c-section. They went ahead and did an echo since I was stuck there for a few days. That's when they diagnosed an aortic stenosis, but were not able to determine if I had a bicuspid valve (I was in my hospital bed for the echo, so they couldn't do it as in depth as they wanted). They did tell me it might give me issues down the road. Long story short, 17 years later here I am ... two days before surgery for a BAV and ascending aortic aneurysm. I just turned 42. I didn't have any major symptoms other than an episode of breathlessness/light headed-ness just over a month ago.
I was hoping to get through the school year for my son's sake too, but he is pretty much done and I guess I am as ready as I will ever be for this.

I hope your wait is easy for you and that you continue to be calmed by the priceless experiences and insights of everybody here. It has been so, so helpful for me too.

Hi Tina, Yes I think the wait for surgery day was very hard, I worked full time and just tried to stay busy but I had so many questions. I thought when I went for my pre- op testing a few days before surgery I had a lot of my questions answered. They actually told me every thing that would happen surgery day and the days to follow. I felt pretty calm the day of, it was pretty early when I got to the hospital so I felt confident. The only thing that the nurse did not tell me about the surgery was when you are asleep they put a Vaseline substance on my eyes so they don't get dry and when I woke up with the breathing tube sill in place I couldn't see anything, so I was a little confused and even if your surgery is early in the morning, it may be quite later when you wake up (I woke up at 7 at pm).The best part for me is my bicuspid aortic valve replacement was done with a mini incision and not a full incision down the center ( I am young too- 49) So 8 weeks later I am feeling pretty good. I would think having 4 girls you will have a lot of little helpers after for your recovery the hardest thing to remember is NO LIFTING!!!!! Good luck & best wishes, Joan

I heard the " you have a murmur " also over the years but they never made a big deal out of it. I have tha ascending aneurysm with my BAV but I don't appear to have any stenosis. I just turned 45 and I just found out about it 2 months ago, always had great blood pressure and good cholesterol and I'm active but I'm learning this has little to do with all that ,although it all helps . Might end up getting a tune-up on my valve when I get the aneurysm fixed but I worry about stenosis down the road.

Hi Tina, welcome! I'm the same age as you, but I've known about my murmur and eventual surgery since I was four. It was still something of a shock when my cardio said it was time when I saw him in January. I've been preparing and doing research ever since. Now I just want to get it over with - this waiting is starting to scare me. On the plus side, I am so exhausted at night I can still sleep well. Concentrating at work is becoming a bit of a challenge now.

Good luck!

river-wear,
Whenever the waiting got the best of me (I'm a big time worrier) I would try writing a Haiku about whatever was on my mind. And I don't even like poetry! I know it sounds weird, but I think focusing on counting the syllables was just enough of a distraction to take my mind off the surgery for a while. It really helped me through some personal depths. And the haikus changed as the date got closer, giving me a kind of record of how my emotions evolved as this journey played out. Some of the later ones are even a little humorous.

Blair, great idea about the haiku. Today I should write one about the numerous ways the stress I thought I was managing so well is manifesting itself. The newest addition is an annoying eye twitch. One week to go...

Latest posts

Back