Surgeons/Hospital for Aortic Aneurysm repair in Charlotte, NC ??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopefulHeart

I live in Charlotte, NC and will need surgery for an ascending aortic aneurysm (currently 4.2 cm) at some point. I also have a Bicuspid Aortic Valve, but it has no symptoms and may be able to be spared. Has anyone had any experience with a heart surgeon or a hospital in Charlotte, NC that they can share? Any surgeons that you'd like to recommend? My cardiologist is affiliated with Presbyterian Hospital. I've been told that the surgeons at Presbyterian are great, but I've also been considering Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH as well as Johns Hopkins. I don't want to make the mistake of going to the wrong surgeon. My uncle made that mistake in 1996 (in Florida) and died in surgery. Thanks for your help.

I'm in Charlotte as well. Barry Chan at Presby is very good, he just replaced my next door neighbor's 80 year old father's valve last week. So far, so good, he was discharged today. I also know someone who had their mitral valve repaired by Eric Skipper of the Sanger clinic at CMC. I've heard several drs in Charlotte say they would only let Dr. Skipper operate on them. Interestingly, the dr's at Sanger wanted my neighbor to have his aortic valve replaced Percutaneously, but when they sent his stuff to Cleveland, they said he was too healthy and not a candidate. So he would up at Presby and met Dr. Chan and really liked him. I've known Dr. Chan and his wife for years and he is a super nice guy, probably worth talking to since you are already at Presby.

Having said all that, I opted to travel to the Mayo clinic for my surgery, mainly because what I have is rare and the surgeons in Charlotte might do a couple of cases a year,if that. You've got time to make your choice that is right for you, you just don't want it to be an emergent situation where you have no input on who is your surgeon.

Hi kfay,

Thanks so much for your response. It's nice to talk to someone locally about the heart surgeons and what they can do here in Charlotte. I will definitely consider talking to Dr. Chan. My cardiologist is Dr. McMillan with MidCarolina Cardiology. I'm sure he's familiar with Dr. Chan. He told me the surgeons with Presby are fantastic. I'm curious as to how often Dr. Chan performs ascending aortic aneurysm repairs or what his history is with treating aortic aneurysms? That would be at the top of my list of questions to ask him. Thanks again for your response to me. You've been a tremendous help!

Would love to hear from anyone else in Charlotte, NC or the surrounding area that could speak to the experience they had with the doctors/surgeons in Charlotte. Thanks!:smile2:

I had successful bicuspid aortic valve surgery done by Dr Lars Svensson at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio in January 2012. Nobody does it more often and nobody does it better than Dr Svensson and /or the surgeons at the CC. They are rated number 1 in the world for this type of surgery and my experience could not have been better.

I've heard Dr. Svensson's name mentioned many times and all with positive outcomes. I think the Cleveland Clinic may well end up being my choice when the time for my surgery comes. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have Dr. Svensson do the procedure.....if he hasn't retired by then. :)

Latest posts

Back