Suggestions for doctors at Brigham and Women's Hospital or MGH for MVR redo?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frank10b said:
Has anybody had any recent experience with Dr. Lawrence H. Cohen? Someone mentioned that he is getting more mature, however he is still practing. Is he considered the star at Brigham and Women? Thanks!
Dick had his surgery at Brigham with Dr. Cohn- chosen because he is a star and we were very happy with him and the hospital. Definitely worth a consult!

I'm awaiting word from my cardio about my latest echo and I'm quite sure my days in the waiting room are quickly coming to an end. I strongly suspect he will say see a surgeon.

My last OHS was at Mass General and it is highly likely I will have mitral valve repair done there, as well.

My question is which surgeon. Dr. Alan Hildengerg took excellent care of me with my CABG but I don't know if he is as experienced as Dr. Gus Vlahakes for Mitral Repairs. Obviously I want the surgeon with the most experience; best success record for the specific surgery I need.

Could someone please tell me phoenetically the proper pronounciation of Dr. Vlahakes' name? And definitely if anyone has suggestions of the comparison between these two excellent surgeons as to who does the most Mitral Repairs.

Thank you in advance for any help.

good choice, great hospital, great surgeons.

I am not positive, but I think Hilgenberg is more focused on aorta and aortic valve than mvr but I may be wrong.

Hey Jkm7,

Dr. Gus Vlahakes (vla-ha-kiss) replaced three of my valves at once. I believe he takes on the more complicated cases. When I saw him last, Dr. Hilldenberg was in the same office. They work like a team and discuss each case and then decide who would be the best Dr. for the job My cousin works in the office and said that whole cardiac team is outstanding!!! Let us know what you decide. Best of Luck:)

I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Hilgenberg and I plan to ask him to do my surgery. He took such good care of me last time, it doesn't make sense to not ask for his help again. I agree you really cannot make a mistake by choosing any of those Cardio/Thoracic surgeons at MGH.

Another note on Dr. Cohn at Brigham & Women's

Another note on Dr. Cohn at Brigham & Women's

I think I said this before, but since someone asked....

Dr. Cohn (note spelling) at Brigham & Women's in Boston installed a St. Jude aortic valve in me on July 3.

I have had no problems whatever with the valve or the heart and recovery was quite rapid. He also used a technique (called a "mini") which made it unnecessary to completely sever the breastbone, and hastened recovery.

He's no spring chicken (I think he's in his 70s) but he is still practicing as of July at least. I know he is training younger surgeons so they probably have figured out his technique by now.

The hospital has opened I think a new cardiovascular center which is supposed to be quite state of the art.

Latest posts

Back