Suffering today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danny: I haven't had any pain on side sleeping, but I have had trouble getting up and down. An occupational therapist taught me a technique that works and does not violate sternal precautions. You can use you elbows to lift and lower yourself onto one side AS LONG AS the elbow is close to/against you side. So, put an elbow down on one side with your hand facing forward of your body and push on that hand with your other arm. This is the only way you are allowed to you your arms to lift you. Ask your cardiac rehab nurse about this. Don't do it unless they show you and approve your technique. Sorry if you already know this, but it was a surprise to me as everyone else said, "No arms".

You just gave me another thing to think about. We just bought a Tempurpedic and it is hard to move around in on it. I wonder if I will be living on the couch? That will make the wife happy....

I like what Bill and Bina said. the elbow was what kept me going. I was not at home; was at nurse cousin's on a flat bed. used pillow at my back when I could finally get on my side and swung (well, really really slow) my feet and lower legs over the side of the bed, managed that elbow under me and gradually got into a sitting position to get up - same way backwards to lie down. also took the pain pill just before going to bed and got a good night's sleep - well, sometimes. but it gets better.

At the start of week 3 I could lay on either side with a pillow behind me and a body pillow between my legs.I would only sleep about an hour and have to go to the other side.I always have been a stomach sleeper so this was hard.I woke up on my stomach 1 week ago and I thought "Oh no this is really going to hurt when I get my senses about me." It didnt. I still start out on my side but, wake up on my stomach.That was end of week 6.I am at the end of week 7 and all the pain is gone. Just a thought I may have healed a little quicker than some because I had a mini stren. about 4" long?

It is very difficult to turn over in bed at first. Although I did it after 2 nights in the hospital, I don't recommend it! I had all the nurses bewildered as to why I didnt just lie there on my back and fall asleep. Well one reason is I am a side sleeper. The other reason is, I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and I just knew I would be in more pain if I just laid there on my back. I also have a high pain tolerance but if you don't I wouldnt recommend trying to turn over in the hospital like I did. I made it on my side from my back without pulling out any tubes, LOL but it is not for the fainthearted.

Hi Danny, I'm a bit behind here since I haven't been on the site for several weeks. I had the same problems with turning on my side...lots of pain. I did the pillow under my back to slightly raise and it helped quite a bit. I still have this problem at 9 weeks - I'm sure it will get better eventually. I can tell if sitting up in the morning is painful, I must have been a restless sleeper that night. What helps me now is to hug a pillow, I can even lay partially on my stomach if I use the pillow.
Sweet dreams,
Lori

Danny,take it easy on that! If you wake up miserable then you should maybe change the way you lay. Now dont get mad-But... I have had multiple chest and abdominal surgeries and I have no feeling in my sternum area, a tad if at all. It is completely numb. So I can sleep on my side, thank God. Guess I am very fortunate in that way!

Danny,

Believe it or not, it tooK me 8 MOS before I could sleep comfortably on my side, AND WAKE UP FEELING GOOD!! Not great mind you, but good. It takes awhile. My recovery was slow and gradual, but remember EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I think your body is trying to tell you to SLOW DOWN. Try to be patient. You'll get there.

Latest posts

Back