Stretches

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanvs

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone has some good stretches they did post surgery to help with muscle pain. I was given some to do that i do 3 times a day, but specifically im after something for my ribs/obliques, chest and neck. My scar/sternum has healed beautifully but funnily enough, since thats got better my muscles have got tight and sore. It go so bad yesterday that i was in tears from neck pain, endone did nothing and a trip to the dr resulted in being given some diazepam which worked! Ive tried to google stretches but i haven't really found anything that im not already doing. (Variations of head rolls and arm raises, both front and side). Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

How many weeks since your surgery?
You could try:
- while sitting straight, slowly push your shoulders down and back while moving your neck/head forwards and hold for 10 sec. Then doing the same shoulder movement move your neck/head forward and hold for another 10sec. Repeat both movements 10 times.
- While walking, take note if your walking with a straight back and neck; and with one arm reach for the sky, hold for 5 sec and repeat with the other arm then do both arms. Repeat 10 times.
- Take a tennis ball, stand against a wall and place the tennis ball at the back of your neck/shoulders blades and lean/push into the ball. With some movement you can reposition the ball to the areas that need it most. Remember to do this slowly and gently. You can even do this while laying down in bed.

Hope this helps.
(bedtime for me, I'll check up on you tomorrow lol)

4 weeks post opp on Tuesday!
Yeah I have been walking with a bent back which I'm trying to focus on correcting. Excellent ideas though i will try them when I do my evening stretches.
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how i go.

A simple heating pad or hot water bottle can be miraculous to relax your tired muscles. It did wonders for my upper back and shoulders to help me relax those muscles. I found the problem to be sitting reclines for so much time while resting. Muscles would stiffen up and not want to loosen up. Raising my arms straight up over my head and then arms level with the floor and bent at 90 degrees and try to pull your elbows as far back as you can (gently). Then arms straight out to your side and do some circles forward and then backwards. Dont over do it, but start small and build up. I could do those ismple exercises and hear my joints cracking as things worked back into place where they belonged.

Thanks almost_hectic! I'll try those stretches/movements today! I never realised the moat intense pain I would experience would be from muscle/neck pain. I had done research but i guess nothing can prepare you for the real thing. Thanks again for your help

I had surgery about 5 weeks ago and also experienced muscle pain and tightness, particularly in my neck and upper back. It was the worst when waking up in the morning or after sitting in the same position for awhile. Seriously so painful some days!! What helped me was putting a heating pad on my neck/back to relax the muscles, then having my husband massage the painful areas and then put on icy hot cream. Thankfully now that I'm more active I've been having a lot less pain.

Freddie;n865156 said:
FWIW: Icy Hot may interact with warfarin, I know A535 does.

In what way. Ive been loking this up and all I seem to find is the same language "interact"... is the likelyhood that it would make your INR go up, or go down? My best guess would be like NSAIDs it would push your number up... can anyone speak to this?

almost_hectic;n865216 said:
In what way. Ive been looking this up and all I seem to find is the same language "interact"... is the likelyhood that it would make your INR go up, or go down? My best guess would be like NSAIDs it would push your number up... can anyone speak to this?

A535 will make your INR go up.
I was told by my doc to only use a tiny dap, no bigger than a head of a stick pin 4x a day or when needed.

Latest posts

Back